Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which air cleaner on SE Ultra.  (Read 1201 times)

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
Which air cleaner on SE Ultra.
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:53:49 AM »

Gee, hope this question doesnt come across as too stinkin stupid. But does my 2010 Ultra SE have true SE type air cleaner ? Doing a fuel management and exhaust upgrade and do think I dont I should have to worry about doing anything with my a/c I hope.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Which air cleaner on SE Ultra.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 07:48:15 AM »

No, the 2010 SEUC does not have a true screamin eagle air filter.  But, the plastic back plate does have 2 air openings instead of one.  I put FuelMoto's SE air cleaner (open back with KN filter) with Fullsac's TTS map and I decatted the stock head pipe and runs good to me.

If I did it again, I would have left the stock air cleaner on as I get the occasional oil drip from the air cleaner housing.
I think with the dual inlets, the stock filter draws enough air for most general riding and does the engine no harm.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »

What he said.  All the CVO ElectraGlides, going back to the 2004 SEEG, have come with a modified stock plastic airbox instead of a true open SE type air cleaner.  While the modified CVO airbox probably does flow better than the standard airbox, it will definitely restrict flow when compared to one of the open varieties on the market.  The big question is, do you really need the extra flow or are you considering the high flow air cleaner just because everyone says you should?  Open filters flow better, but they can have downsides as well, such as the oil dripping or misting Boatman mentioned and the increased noise level. 

Be aware, if you decide to use the SE kit (I wouldn't) or one of the aftermarket versions, that you will need to do some modifications if you want to use the stock cover.  You'll find several threads on the site that discuss covers falling off because they broke off the center mounting nut in the end of the filter.  You will need to provide better support for the cover, or use a different cover that fits properly to the end of the filter.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »

What he said.  All the CVO ElectraGlides, going back to the 2004 SEEG, have come with a modified stock plastic airbox instead of a true open SE type air cleaner.  While the modified CVO airbox probably does flow better than the standard airbox, it will definitely restrict flow when compared to one of the open varieties on the market.  The big question is, do you really need the extra flow or are you considering the high flow air cleaner just because everyone says you should?  Open filters flow better, but they can have downsides as well, such as the oil dripping or misting Boatman mentioned and the increased noise level. 

Be aware, if you decide to use the SE kit (I wouldn't) or one of the aftermarket versions, that you will need to do some modifications if you want to use the stock cover.  You'll find several threads on the site that discuss covers falling off because they broke off the center mounting nut in the end of the filter.  You will need to provide better support for the cover, or use a different cover that fits properly to the end of the filter.

Jerry

Go to the Ventilator. It looks good, flows great and doesn't interfere with your leg position. http://accessories.harley-davidson.com/screamin_eagle/air_cleaner_kits/screamin_eagle_ventilator_performance_air_cleaner_kit/default.aspx

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »

Go to the Ventilator. It looks good, flows great and doesn't interfere with your leg position. http://accessories.harley-davidson.com/screamin_eagle/air_cleaner_kits/screamin_eagle_ventilator_performance_air_cleaner_kit/default.aspx

:2vrolijk_21:    If it were me, that would be my choice as well.  Only thing that would make it better would be a good K&N element to go with it, but it appears they still don't offer one and don't seem to have plans to do so anytime soon.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:    If it were me, that would be my choice as well.  Only thing that would make it better would be a good K&N element to go with it, but it appears they still don't offer one and don't seem to have plans to do so anytime soon.

Jerry

The stock Ventilator filter element has been measured to flow great. Not sure why there would be a need to swap out to a K&N.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »

The stock Ventilator filter element has been measured to flow great. Not sure why there would be a need to swap out to a K&N.

Longevity and reliability.  I've had some of Harley's "washable" paper elements in the past, and even though they are supposedly washable they didn't hold up all that well.  In fact, the last one I had was the SE round element that was a cheap knockoff of the previously used K&N, and it didn't last 5000 miles before the rubber and the paper started to disintegrate.  On the other hand, I've never had a failure of any kind with any of the K&N's I've owned, on Harleys or other brands.  I like to give my business to companies that give me my money's worth, and K&N always has.  I can't say the same for H-D.

JMHO  -  Jerry

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »

Longevity and reliability.  I've had some of Harley's "washable" paper elements in the past, and even though they are supposedly washable they didn't hold up all that well.  In fact, the last one I had was the SE round element that was a cheap knockoff of the previously used K&N, and it didn't last 5000 miles before the rubber and the paper started to disintegrate.  On the other hand, I've never had a failure of any kind with any of the K&N's I've owned, on Harleys or other brands.  I like to give my business to companies that give me my money's worth, and K&N always has.  I can't say the same for H-D.

JMHO  -  Jerry

I guess we all have different experiences. The HD element on my previous bike easily went 30,000 with general maintenance and cleaning. The element on my HD Ventilator already has 14,000 and looks like new. Seems a waste to switch out a brand new element. I can understand switiching to a K&N when the stock needs replacement but why not at least wait until the stock element has gone bad before switching out to a K&N?

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 11:26:52 AM »

I have Arlen Ness Big Sucker and it works well.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

Page created in 0.614 seconds with 22 queries.