Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there supposed to be so much crap in the trans oil?  (Read 2194 times)

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
Is there supposed to be so much crap in the trans oil?
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »

I found out I had to much oil in the tranny so I let it out into one of the wifes stainless pots, Im gonna get a whippin, and when I looked at it it had a lot of tiny metal shavings. I was going to put it back in but I bought more.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Is there supposed to be so much crap in the trans oil?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:10:18 PM »

I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless it was a scary amount.  It's not unusual on the first oil change in any gearbox to find slivers or small flakes of metal. This is common as the gear train is "run in" and everything gets mated or matched together.  You should find very little to none on the next oil change.  I do the same when I drain my oil. Use a clean container and examine for metal.  Some people send a sample out for analysis which I do occasionally on the engine oil.  Cost about $20.
Jesus is Lord

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:41:02 AM »

what lead you to believe you had too much fluid in the tranny?

I found out I had to much oil in the tranny so I let it out into one of the wifes stainless pots, Im gonna get a whippin, and when I looked at it it had a lot of tiny metal shavings. I was going to put it back in but I bought more.

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »

Changed my oil today and it took three quarts. This is the second oil change and it came out clean. The first oil change is going to have metal shavings in pretty much any vehicle.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 01:17:51 AM »

Three quarts seem a tad light on an oil change, especially if you changed the filter too.   :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »

Three quarts seem a tad light on an oil change, especially if you changed the filter too.   :nixweiss:

Softails only take three quarts, not four like the Touring models.  One might think that the engines would all need the same volume of oil if the decision on fluid capacity had been made based on actual engineering principles.  Maybe Willy didn't want a bigger oil tank cluttering up the lines of the bikes? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Carbon 60

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »

Softails only take three quarts, not four like the Touring models.  One might think that the engines would all need the same volume of oil if the decision on fluid capacity had been made based on actual engineering principles.  Maybe Willy didn't want a bigger oil tank cluttering up the lines of the bikes? 

Jerry
Owners Manual Pg. 22 Specifications "Oil with Filter 3.5 Quarts"
That tiny filter can't possibly hold a half quart so the CVO Breakout must have a larger oil tank than Standard Softails.
(just my .02)
Garr

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »

Oops, my mistake.  What I should have said was Dyna's are 3.0 quarts, Softails are 3.5 quarts, and Touring are 4.0 quarts, all including approximtely a pint in the filter.  Since you can't actually drain 100% of the oil under normal circumstances, most will take less than those amounts on a drain and refill.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Carbon 60

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »

Oops, my mistake.  What I should have said was Dyna's are 3.0 quarts, Softails are 3.5 quarts, and Touring are 4.0 quarts, all including approximtely a pint in the filter.  Since you can't actually drain 100% of the oil under normal circumstances, most will take less than those amounts on a drain and refill.

Jerry
You're forgiven Jerry (lol)
Garr

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »

Only reason I said it seemed a tad light is that when I change the oil on my springer, I start off with 3 quarts after draining and filter change, then take a short ride around town to get the oil warmed up and circulated then usually have to add about another half quart to put it 3/4 way on the dipstick when hot.  I know that some of you might say I'm crazy but I also use about 4 oz. of Avblend at each oil change. I've used this product for years in air cooled recips on small aircraft and have tracked the hours ( time between overhaul ) and have seen it extend the service time of aircraft engines by 25-30%.  It might just be snake oil but it seems to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to use it.   :sunny:
Jesus is Lord

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.