Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: -What motorcycle lift are you using?  (Read 3429 times)

Steventammy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

-What motorcycle lift are you using?
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »

I'm starting to do some research on these and I'm seeing the $99 (anybrand) up to the $400+ from J&S
Yes, I did see a comparison video on youtube with the J&S smoking the other two brands but man...that's a lot of smackers to spend just to get the bike up a bit to clean it
What are you using that you feel comfortable with? 
(I have CVO RGU)

Thanks!
Steve & Tammy
2011 CVO RGU

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: -What motorcycle lift are you using?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 09:36:47 AM »

What are you using that you feel comfortable with?

I use a J&S jack, which works well for several reasons - I have limited space where my scoots are kept, it has a smaller footprint and gets stored vertically. Secondly, I have no anxiety about jacking my CVO up with it as it's solid and well designed. Haven't tried everything out there but the J&S fulfills my requirements perfectly - and you only have to buy it once...   

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:50:01 AM »

I have and use a Pitt Bull that I bought back in 2004. Does a good job and the bike is very stable.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »

If space and budget allow get an actual lift, a table lift. Much more convenient than just a jack if you really want to do much with your bike.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 11:20:11 AM »

I have a Handy table lift which I really like....but before that I used a Pitbull which is very stable. Just wanted a table which raised the bike higher up.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 01:33:39 PM »

My table lift is so old it's a Western. Then they changed the name to Handy!!!!! It's been good to me since 1988. You own a 40K Motorcycle, don't cheat yourself!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 01:38:06 PM »

J&S here but I will admit it was a B'Day present from the wife this year.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »

I have a Pitt Bull lift. J&S and Pitt Bull and close to the same. They are both a lot of money. I have a Craftsman lift also, I don't feel real safe putting my bike up on the Craftsman lift. It seems that its at its limits to hold an Ultra Classic. When I put my bike on the Pitt Bull  lift, I have no problem cleaning the bike, or even rolling it around my garage if I should have to move it on the lift.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 03:59:39 PM »

Have a cheapy Harbor Freight that I only use when I need to get the tires off the ground and yes it is not the most stable.  Don't remember the cost but on sale plus their 20% off coupon its a steal unless it drops your CVO.  They claim 1500 lb capacity but don't think I'd want much more on it than my RGU.  I always use the mechanical lock on it as the cylinder on these is known to blow out seals.  Most of the time I just run the bike up on a 2x6x12 inch board under each tire and side stand.  Only takes a minute and don't have to drag the jack out. 

Is PitBull still in business?  Thought I had heard they sold out.  They used to have a shop not far up in the Land Between the Lakes area near Dover TN.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 09:20:55 PM »

First Don (twolane) is correct, if you have room buy a table lift, SO much better. But if not, I have owned a J&S (Craigslist), a HD (also Craigslist), a Blackjack (now out of business) and a Pitbull also bought off Craigslist.
The HD is a pain because you had to screw, by hand, the jack. Just sucked. The J&S is great and the strongest as shipped of the bunch. The Pitbull I bought the rotating table for which makes it much more secure and makes the lift so much more useable as you can sit on a stool in one spot and rotate, with one hand, the bike 360 degrees.
I sold all the lifts a few years ago except the Pitbull because mainly the rotating table and the fact the guys are always at the m/c events if you need a part or something. But if you are going to use them as they come, with no options buy the J&S. But NEVER use a Craftsman or Harbor Freight on a motorcycle approaching 1000# (fuel, crap in bags and tourpak). They just have too small a footprint and become tippy. IMHO. Also remember that the lifts are designed to be used @ full height, this puts the weight more squarely over the "footprint" or base of the jack. when partially raised the bike is extended out over the side of the base and not over it. You want the bike as directly centered over the base as possible. The best lift will tip, if not level and bike is not centered. Watch the guys who climb around on a bike while lifted and they are always at max height.

Steventammy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 01:04:50 AM »

Great feedback, thanks so much!
Steve & Tammy
2011 CVO RGU

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 02:43:04 AM »

Pitbull since 2001. Replaced bottle jack once. Replaced side locks once, replaced screw to keep from moving a dozen times (they rust the threads off from washing bike but warranty and come in mail in a few days). Pitbull was moving, but not out of business over the winter.

also use rotating table- but have to drain fluids on ground or with Harbor Frieght lift (tranny because drain on high side on kickstand) because table blocks drains. Easier on ground with Harleys drip pan anyways- no splatter.

Roll that thing all over garage, climb on it with no straps, work on all my friends bikes. Nothing against the others, but I even leave bike on it 5-6 months a year over winter.
Will

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »

I have a heavy weight floor stand and a Handy table stand.  I almost never use the floor stand unless I need the rear or front wheel floating.  The Handyis great because yo can get any height you need.  It kills my back to get down on the floor and work on my knees.  It is a sign of getting older, but it sure beats the alternative. 

Speaking of getting older I was on the phone with a riding buddy and we used to never have a problem doing a 400-500+ days just a few years ago.  He is 61 and just did a 450 day and was telling me he just can't do it anymore.  His legs and lower back were killing for the rest of the trip.

V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 07:43:10 PM »

I have a ProLift, bought it in 03 for the RKC to make cleaning easier on the back, and was also tired of washing some of the white wall, push forward and repeat.
Lift cap is 1500 lbs. Ultra is very stable on it and moving the bike on it is very easy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:45:11 PM by Wingman »
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 09:08:48 PM »

I have two Craftsmans one since 2002 and the other since 2008 when I bought the second Ultra. Both work great and I feel very secure moving the bike around the garage while on the jack. I always use the mechanical stop though, I do not trust the cylinder to hold the bike up alone. Then again I always use the mechanical stop on any jack I use, floor, car, hoist doesn't matter, I never trust the cylinder to hold up anything.

I would like to get a table lift though but maybe someday!

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 02:01:45 PM »

I have the Harbor Freight jack, I got it when I only had the Softail Custom,  it was fine for that just a little shaky.  Now that I have added the CVO Limited,  it is a little scary.  It picks it up fine but is wobbly.  I don't raise it too high. Letting it down is real scary. One day I will get a good jack.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 04:05:13 PM »

I have the Harbor Freight jack, I got it when I only had the Softail Custom,  it was fine for that just a little shaky.  Now that I have added the CVO Limited,  it is a little scary.  It picks it up fine but is wobbly.  I don't raise it too high. Letting it down is real scary. One day I will get a good jack.

Feel like taking a ride to Long Island.....I will give you a good deal on an air/hydraulic Pitbull........

PM if you want.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 04:26:49 PM »

Can't remember what brand it is.  Bought it in Daytona 20 yrs. ago.  Been a good one!  Had to re-pack the jack one time, 'cause the seal dried out.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 05:35:52 PM »

You can't go wrong with J&S....I love mine.  It lets me store it out of the way with no lean angle at the front of my garage.  This means both cars and the bike get in.  It's rock solid in the stability department....and you can literally drag it around the garage and not worry about it falling!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.