Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ... Indian Larry  (Read 4896 times)

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
  • Have you kicked your tires lately?
... Indian Larry
« on: August 31, 2004, 10:04:16 AM »

For those who haven't heard yet..  http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/9533189.htm  ....... May he rest in peace!
'03 FLHRSEI2

Electra Glide Pete

• Pete's 2005 Screaming Eagle Electraglide
Re: ... Indian Larry
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 09:21:14 PM »

Those of us who knew Larry Desmedt "Indian Larry" knew the man who always had time for a fan, just to say "Hello", shake a hand, sign an autograph or pose for a photo. Larry was a fan of the people, unlike some others we know.

Larry was as colorful in life as he was on TV, not only 'just one of the guys' but a magician in the shop called Gasoline Alley. Those who knew Indian Larry will not soon forget the bike builder, the legend, the man and the friend.

We'll miss you "Indian Larry"

Electra Glide Pete

See ASSOCIATED PRESS article & my photo with Indian Larry below

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CONCORD, N.C. -- A custom motorcycle builder known for his appearances on cable's Discovery Channel died Monday at a hospital of head injuries suffered during a stunt, officials said.

"Indian Larry" fell off a motorcycle Saturday while performing before 8,000 people at an arena outside Charlotte. He was not wearing a helmet, the officials said.

Indian Larry was standing on the moving bike when it began to wobble and went out of control, said Mike Downs, Cabarrus County deputy manager. His full name was not immediately known.

"Indian Larry was a man with great skill and talent as a mechanic and metal sculptor," said Robert Freeman, chairman of the county board of commissioners. "He will be truly missed by his fans here in Cabarrus County and throughout the nation."

Indian Larry, who appeared in movies and television shows, was featured on a Discovery Channel series in which motorcycle builders design and build bikes from scratch, then have them judged by motorcycle aficionados.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 09:23:45 PM by ptomory »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 09:17:20 AM »

Eletra Glide Pete is that you in the picture with larry?
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Electra Glide Pete

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 09:06:33 PM »

Eletra Glide Pete is that you in the picture with larry?

Yep mr_magoo, that's me next to Indian Larry - I'm the ugly guy without the tattoos.
Indian Larry was definitely a real down to earth biker!
I have to figure out how to downsize my digital photos - the picture sure posted oversize!  
Anyone out there know how I can get my digital photos downsized for internet attachments?

Electra Glide Pete  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 11:08:36 AM »

In his first deal in his new spot at Crown, former Warner senior editor  Rick Horgan  signed a book by motorcycle cult hero and bike designer  "Indian Larry  ." It's to be called   Grease Monkey  , and will tell of Larry's highly unusual life as outlaw, jailbird, arts hanger-on and mental hospital inmate before achieving celebrity status in the motorcycle world. Horgan paid in the low six figures for world rights from  David Vigliano  and  Elsa Petrini  at the Vigliano agency.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 08:24:09 AM »

Should be a very interesting book to read,  had always heard that the man had an interesting life.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 08:05:30 PM »

Unlike many of the others within the motorcycle community of fame, WCC, OCC and the countless others, Larry was barely influenced by the sudden fame.

I did a interview with him prior to his departure that appeared in our local "scooter" publication.  In my opinion, "what you saw was what you got", unlike some of the others.

Another example of gone too soon and how we must all be careful out there.

Electra Glide Pete

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 09:29:28 PM »

Jock,
I agree with you about Indian Larry being himself & not puffed up by his fame.
We do have to be careful out there when we ride...but being willing to take the risk for the thrill to ride is what separates us from the rest of the safe but dull mass existence.

At least Indian Larry died doing what he loved to do.
Pete

Unlike many of the others within the motorcycle community of fame, WCC, OCC and the countless others, Larry was barely influenced by the sudden fame.

I did a interview with him prior to his departure that appeared in our local "scooter" publication.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.