Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Dyno' Mike  (Read 3364 times)

rekoch

• Sandman
'Dyno' Mike
« on: September 01, 2005, 09:51:25 AM »

While not exactly about my CVO, I thought I would tell you all about the great service I received yesterday at Gail's Harley Davidson, in Belton, MO.

Mike Wilson runs the performance shop there, and while on our way back from Sturgis, MOBE and I picked his brain about several of our bikes. I had taken my Road King to a local Dyno tuner last winter, and he yanked the baffles out of my Vance and Hines Longshots, replacing them with about 4 inch power tubes, and bumped my main jet up two sizes on the Mikuni. This resulted in a 10 hp gain on paper, but also resulted in a bike too darn loud to ride without ear plugs. So I put a set of Rineharts on it, and went to Belton yesterday.

Dyno Mike yanked the carb, before even putting it on the dyno. He found a broken part, which had been giving me throttle cable trouble all summer, fixed that with scavenged parts off a bench carb, then adjusted all three jets, going down two sizes on the main. He then dissassembled the throttle assembly, and got it smoothed out. After all that, which took about two hours, mostly due to his phone ringing off the wall, he dynoed the bike three or four runs, under load, and showed me 82.2 hp, and 90.8 torque! This on a 1999 TC88, with 95 kit, SE ignition, Andrews cams, and the aforementioned Mikuni HSR42 and Rineharts.

The result being a bike pleasant to ride, fairly quiet at speed, but with a nice rumble when you roll it on. The bike feels more responsive than it ever has, and the fuel mileage went from 35 to 38.6 on the first tank. Mike and I had discussed some head work, around $1200 worth, but after the dyno run, he said that I would probably only gain 3 hp, and that is a pretty expensive gain.

The charge for all this was 1 hour labor, and $50 for the dyno run!

Overall, Mike really seems to know his stuff, and isn't out to sell you a lot of work you don't need. I would highly recommend his performance shop. I've got two more bikes that he will be tweaking soon!

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: 'Dyno' Mike
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 10:57:20 AM »

What a great testiment to the "real" people that keep HD alive and well.  To a great extent, it's "the boys in the back" that seperate the problem shops from those that really create a loyal customer base.  Take good care of "Dyno Mike".

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 11:49:45 AM »

While not exactly about my CVO, I thought I would tell you all about the great service I received yesterday at Gail's Harley Davidson, in Belton, MO.

Rekoch, for EFI tuning do you know if Gail's is still only working with the RT or are they comfortable with Power Commander now too?  By the way, is that not a nice new shop they built?

rekoch

• Sandman
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 09:46:19 AM »

TwoLane,

I didn't ask Mike specifically about the Power Commander, but I overheard him on the phone discussing both its use, as well as the techclusion.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 23 queries.