Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Shifting to Neutral at traffic lights and stops.  (Read 17241 times)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Re: Shifting to Neutral at traffic lights and stops.
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 07:35:33 PM »

Always in neutral.  Need both hands for texting, eating and air guitar.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 08:06:08 PM »

Always in neutral.  Need both hands for texting, eating and air guitar.

:2vrolijk_21:

I put mine in neutral and also shut the engine down.  Keeps things cooler and leaves both hands free for rearranging certain body parts, scratching my azz, moving the mirrors so I can check out the hot chick in the convertible behind me, etc.  I'm old, and I can only concentrate on one thing at a time.  If I left it running in gear I might launch into the car in front of me when that hot chick winks at me.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015, 10:09:11 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

I put mine in neutral and also shut the engine down.  Keeps things cooler and leaves both hands free for rearranging certain body parts, scratching my azz, moving the mirrors so I can check out the hot chick in the convertible behind me, etc.  I'm old, and I can only concentrate on one thing at a time. If I left it running in gear I might launch into the car in front of me when that hot chick winks at me.

Jerry

Pretty girls still wink at you?  You lucky bastard....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015, 10:17:48 PM »

Pretty girls still wink at you?  You lucky bastard....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jerry  ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 10:02:20 AM »

How many of you still get this reaction though......  :huepfenlol2:

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 10:20:57 AM »

How many of you still get this reaction though......

Haha - Nice!

TrainWreck88

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 04:18:36 AM »

That was awesome!!!!! I am still looking for a decent used one, but all the ones I have looked at in the PNW are rust buckets or the seller thinks it is worth more than his trophy wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »

just came across this post. as for the jerry comments,he TRIED to be a comedian in RLP IV. he changed tat in RLP V. as for the neutral topic, I believe in location, location,location.if in congested traffic I stay in alert readiness mode(not that I don't all the time,just more so in heavy traffic areas). I too have had to jump the curb to keep from being sandwiched by a vehicle from behind another vehicle 2 cars back.vehicle behind me was pushed into vehicle that was in front of me. this was 1978, washington dc. as a instructor for smith system defensive driving (used in the trucking industry), we teach 5 keys. I also include these keys in the classes I do using RLP. ALL GOOD KIDS LOVE MILK.
A - aim high. be looking 15 sec ahead
G - get the big picture. be looking ahead & at possible intrusions into your path of travel (parking lots, side streets, parked cars,etc)
K - keep your eyes moving. use 8 sec rule. 2sec straight ahead, 2 sec to left & mirror, 2 sec straight, 2 sec right & mirror, .
L -leave yourself an out .don't get boxed in, leave enough space between vehicles to maneuver at stops.
M - make sure they see you. look for eye contact. don't put yourself in blind spots (especially intersections)

hope this will give some insight to some & help everyone to be safe & careful. this is why I post this at the end of my post on rider intro
RIDE SAFE!     BE CAREFUL!

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 10:21:16 AM »

Always in gear checking mirrors and looking around.   I don't keep a foot on the brake I use the front brake must be from the old Moto cross days.   
Todd
I rarely use my rear brake at all. I really like the 2015 with linked brakes.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

ultrarider123

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2015, 10:46:34 AM »

as a instructor for smith system defensive driving (used in the trucking industry), we teach 5 keys. I also include these keys in the classes I do using RLP. ALL GOOD KIDS LOVE MILK.
A - aim high. be looking 15 sec ahead
G - get the big picture. be looking ahead & at possible intrusions into your path of travel (parking lots, side streets, parked cars,etc)
K - keep your eyes moving. use 8 sec rule. 2sec straight ahead, 2 sec to left & mirror, 2 sec straight, 2 sec right & mirror, .
L -leave yourself an out .don't get boxed in, leave enough space between vehicles to maneuver at stops.
M - make sure they see you. look for eye contact. don't put yourself in blind spots (especially intersections)

"All Good Kids Like Milk"...the 5 keys

My brother from another mother....I, too, am a Smith System instructor and yes, these work for two wheels up to 18 or more wheeled vehicles.... :2vrolijk_21:

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »

"All Good Kids Like Milk"...the 5 keys

My brother from another mother....I, too, am a Smith System instructor and yes, these work for two wheels up to 18 or more wheeled vehicles.... :2vrolijk_21:

same heavenly father though! no doubt
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

ultrarider123

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2015, 01:29:39 AM »

Amen to that!

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2015, 07:23:16 AM »

Looks like I'm in the minority here, I always use the engine to slow, the front brake is is my main stopper and it's tapped a few times while I slow to alert the guy picking his nose behind me.

Back brake pads haven't been replaced in years, that's cause they are only used in an emergency... well after the front is applied.

About the sitting in neutral, I only keep in gear until the first vehicle is behind me (unless they're too close, then I just move), after the barrier shows it's in neutral till it's time to go.

I expect that I'm going to get hit from behind, so I'm ready to dump it in gear and go... not paranoid, just prepared.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »

I eliminate this entire problem by simply routing myself around any place large enough to have a stop light.
Much easier to do here in Iowa than some other places.
2015 CVO Road Glide

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »

just came across this post. as for the jerry comments,he TRIED to be a comedian in RLP IV. he changed tat in RLP V.

That's great to know.  Like I said, it never bothered me or the wife as we both have a sense of humor.  But after recommending it to a few who lacked that most important sense, I always add a disclaimer so that people can't say I didn't warn them.  Regardless, I think his techniques are for the most part excellent and we practice them frequently.  My only criticism of his riding techniques is that he makes it seem too easy. Snap your head around, find the friction zone and the bike will magically drag floorboards through the U-Turn.  It does take a bit more than that a chit load of practice.

I kinda like that All Cows Eat Grass idea.  I always had trouble with the bass clef... oops wrong mnemonic.  That happens to me all the time when I'm trying to remember to SEE or check my T-Clocks or drink milk while playing my bass guitar.  ;D  Seriously, just kidding.  It's a great way to learn it!  :2vrolijk_21:

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.