Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Shifting to Neutral at traffic lights and stops.  (Read 17245 times)

Dave McDowall

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

Re: Shifting to Neutral at traffic lights and stops.
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »

Never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »

One more comment I would like to address. I am not sure what about Jerry Palladino any woman would find insulting. He has as many women riders in his videos as men and even his wife is on them. IMHO, there would be a real hard reach for anyone to find themselves "offended" by anything I watched or heard him say.

I've got the 5th edition of his DVD and he does like to joke with the ladies, but I've never seen him get out of hand with them, but then he's on video too.  I don't know what he's like in real life.  Then again, I've seen his wife kid right back with him too.  Maybe he was a little "sexist" in his earlier vids but if so, he seems to have toned it down by my 5th edition.
Overlooking all personal things...the man can ride a Harley and so can his wife and their crew.  His video helped me a lot, which helps even more when pulling the Bushtec.
As to the question at hand, it depends on location, but I usually keep her in first at a busy intersection.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

92fxsts

• Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2016, 05:24:52 PM »

I know this topic is stale, but I read the attached article in the February American Motorcyclist Magazine.  Apparently the AMA or the MSF is also reading this forum and has their .02 worth to add.  Personally I consider whether the signal is stale, what the temperature outside is, how tired my hands are, etc.. and then I may or may not go neutral.  How is that for being precise?

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »

Apparently the AMA or the MSF is also reading this forum and has their .02 worth to add.

Thanks for posting this short article... They recommended staying in gear for the reasons stated, which makes sense. I think the most important consideration mentioned was making sure the intersection is clear before proceeding. It sure seems like many vehicles are 'pushing the envelop' at light changes rather than sitting through another red these days...

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »

Do you take your pick-up/car etc out of gear at a light?

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2016, 09:42:20 AM »

Just curious.  When you come to a red traffic light, how many of you shift to neutral and let go of the clutch  and just chill?  Also, do you all use engine braking when slowing down?
Glen
As said before stay in first and watch your mirrors. Motorcycles have 3 brakes. Front, rear and engine. I use all of them.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »

5 keys of defensive driving ( smith system) in the trucking industry. All Good Kids Love Milk
A - aim high   G-get the big picture    K- keep your eyes moving    L- leave yourself an out  (HARD TO DO IN NEUTRAL )
M- make sure they see you ( make eye contact)
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »

Depends on the situation.

Just stay alert, in or out of gear.

Definitely down shift for braking, when appropriate.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »

Aman!!! Right foot on brake, left foot on ground. Watching mirrors for traffic coming up behind me. I have actually been close to getting slammed. I pulled in between two cars and the ding dong lady smacked right into the car I was sitting behind. She was texting.
That said, I swear on all that is holy I see almost nobody else doing this. I have been on group rides and darned near wet myself when the light turns green and all I hear around me is clack clack clack as all the other bikes are putting her in first to go.

Any group is only as good as the worst rider , cant beat 5/6 riders you know well enough .
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »

Jerry is great in real life. Long time ago since he was a motor officer though and the skills he teaches are very simple. First day stuff in any motor officer class.

I've got the 5th edition of his DVD and he does like to joke with the ladies, but I've never seen him get out of hand with them, but then he's on video too.  I don't know what he's like in real life.  Then again, I've seen his wife kid right back with him too.  Maybe he was a little "sexist" in his earlier vids but if so, he seems to have toned it down by my 5th edition.
Overlooking all personal things...the man can ride a Harley and so can his wife and their crew.  His video helped me a lot, which helps even more when pulling the Bushtec.
As to the question at hand, it depends on location, but I usually keep her in first at a busy intersection.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »

Pretty much NEVER.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.