Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fork removal  (Read 10234 times)

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
Fork removal
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:29:58 AM »

I need to remove my flamed upper fork covers to repair small dents in them or just replace them.

I know I need to remove the lower legs to do this, but I don't have a service manual for my '04 seeg.

Can anybody give me the detail in the removal process [smiley=confused5.gif]

Also, since the front end is apart I was thinking of changing fork springs.

Are any of you running Progressive springs or anything different than o.e.m.

Any tricks of the trade will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for your time,

Grover
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 09:42:28 AM by GROVER »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Fork removal
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 10:09:20 AM »

I need to remove my flamed upper fork covers to repair small dents in them or just replace them.

I know I need to remove the lower legs to do this, but I don't have a service manual for my '04 seeg.

Can anybody give me the detail in the removal process [smiley=confused5.gif]

Also, since the front end is apart I was thinking of changing fork springs.

Are any of you running Progressive springs or anything different than o.e.m.

Any tricks of the trade will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for your time,

Grover

Grover...sorry, can't help you out on the fork removal, but check this thread on one option for the front fork rebuild..

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1168230549

I'm sure hd-dude (Jim) could help you out on the removal of the forks...you might shoot him a PM.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:42:07 PM »

Mark, it's a chore on our bikes.  But not because anything is particularly difficult or not particularly obvious.  Just because there's so darn much stuff in the way.

If this isn't something you just have to do immediately wait just a bit and I'll have had the opportunity to install and ride/review that kit from Traxxion dynamics discussed in the thread Terry highlighted.  If the weather clears between now and then we'll be doing that next weekend.

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 07:38:47 PM »

Mark

I am also waiting for Dons reply. Have taken  the whole front end down to the frame. Re paint...chrome...fender...tire...fork rebuild.

Front end felt like mush, and Kathy's Street Glide feels great. Thinking of upgrading to the 2006 inerds but many here said it is a waste of time and money.

Hurry up Don ;D

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 08:05:23 PM »

Grover,
           You don't have to take your fork tubes apart to repair/replace the "cowbells" what you do is get down to the triple trees, loosen up the pinch bolts etc and slide the entire upper and lower unit out. The cowbells bolt to the bottom triple tree. Unbolt em, replace em, slide the fork leg back into the triple trees, tighten to torque spec in shop manual, put your front wheel back on, reassemble the fairing stuff you had to remove and you're done. If you want to change out the internals, that's a different thing, but believe me when I say you're gonna like doing that a whole lot better if you take the entire leg out and do the work on a bench instead of dealing with it hanging off your bike. By the way, I had progressives on an FXR once and they really worked. The front end would stiffen up real quick if you dove into a corner, yet regular bumps etc in the road still felt like stock suspension.

B B
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:08:04 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 08:29:19 PM »

Mark

I am also waiting for Dons reply. Have taken  the whole front end down to the frame. Re paint...chrome...fender...tire...fork rebuild.

Front end felt like mush, and Kathy's Street Glide feels great. Thinking of upgrading to the 2006 inerds but many here said it is a waste of time and money.

Hurry up Don ;D

We're all just sick here.  Every one of us  ;D .

Ok, the Road King is tentatively scheduled for the leg-ectomy this Saturday.  A few sunny days between now and then will hopefully clean the roads up enough to go try it out and get at least a solid impression of what it will feel like.  Hang tight til the weekend and we'll see if I can come up with some info worth sharing.

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 09:25:34 PM »

Grover,
           You don't have to take your fork tubes apart to repair/replace the "cowbells" what you do is get down to the triple trees, loosen up the pinch bolts etc and slide the entire upper and lower unit out.... By the way, I had progressives on an FXR once and they really worked. The front end would stiffen up real quick if you dove into a corner, yet regular bumps etc in the road still felt like stock suspension.

B B

Hey Big B-

I went into it blind Sunday and got it all completed. It was pretty darn easy. The only problem I had was melting the upper fairing with the cutting torch, then I scratched my front wheel with the cold chisel while pounding off my calipers. I couldn't locate my wrenches so I removed all the remaining fasteners with a vise grips, damn that's a handy tool!

The dents are now fixed in the ''cowbells'' [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I reassembled without seperating the forks. Now that I have the removal down pat, I'm gonna wait for Twolane's word on his buddy's roadking.

Your description of the progressive springs sound great, that's what I'm looking for.

I hope the burnt upper fairing turns out good. I only have three weeks to get the bike ready for Alligator Bob. He's using it in his display at the International Motorcycle Expo at the Rosemont near Chicago.

Take care,

Grover

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 06:48:22 PM by GROVER »

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 09:29:20 PM »

Mark

Hurry up Don ;D

Hey Brian-

Is this on your fatbagger or your '04 seeg?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 11:48:30 PM »

Hey Big B-

I went into it blind Sunday and got it all completed. It was pretty darn easy. The only problem I had was melting the upper fairing with the cutting torch, then I scratched my front wheel with the cold chisel while pounding off my calipers. I couldn't locate my wrenches so I removed all the remaining fasteners with a vise grips, damn that's a handy tool!

In a well equipped shop you could just take the nipple off the waterjet machine and cut all the fasteners off.  Don't even need vise grips with modern tools like that Mark.  Works get to the fiberglass and wiring out of the way too.

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »

In a well equipped shop you could just take the nipple off the [highlight]waterjet machine [/highlight]and cut all the fasteners off.  Don't even need vise grips with modern tools like that Mark.  Works get to the fiberglass and wiring out of the way too.

What a coincidence you mentioned the waterjet. We'll be using one to cut my Grover designed custom floorboards. I was going to get'em CNC machined, but the waterjet is quicker and cheaper.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I replaced all the wiring in the fairing due to the cutting torch fire.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 08:42:58 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I replaced all the wiring in the fairing due to the cutting torch fire.

Forgot to use PAM before starting to work with the torch.  Spray it on everything.  It repels fire and grease.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 09:21:49 PM »

Beagle would love wrenchin with you guys. He's like Dr. Debakey when he gets goin.

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 09:37:20 PM »

Beagle would love wrenchin with you guys. He's like Dr. Debakey when he gets goin.

B B

Geography is just a killer sometimes.  We either need a smaller country or much much bigger garages  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] .

hogasm

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 05:38:47 PM »

Hey Brian-

Is this on your fatbagger or your '04 seeg?

04 SEEG

Fatbagger has Kathy's origional Street Glide front end on it. Just put chrome lowers on it.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.