Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brake fluid  (Read 2574 times)

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Brake fluid
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:53:57 PM »

anyone remember what brake fluid came in the 05 SEEG from the factory......as I remember,  you can mix dot 3 and dot 4,  but not either with dot5.

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Re: Brake fluid
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 04:45:07 PM »

i checked the supplement service manual for the 2005 flhtcse2 and it says dot 4- my 2002 fxstd had dot 5 though

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 06:10:26 PM »

anyone remember what brake fluid came in the 05 SEEG from the factory......as I remember,  you can mix dot 3 and dot 4,  but not either with dot5.
_Beagle

The label on the master cylinder cover should tell you that it is DOT-4.

djkak

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:28:40 PM »

The 2004 models still got DOT5.  2005 was the first year of the transition back away from it.  At the time I cast my runes and got an answer that this suggested a near term availablity of ABS.  Oh boy!!  We know how accurate that guess was . ;D

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:59:59 PM »

i thought the dot 5 had problems at high altitude [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:41:57 PM »

Van, there is a bit of a wive's tail where silicone fluid and altitude are concerned.  It was never actually "high" altitude that was the issue but, instead, too sudden changes in altitude and, more specifically, the changes in barometric pressure that go along with it.

The theory goes like this.  It definitely is true that DOT5 entrains air.  It does.  No doubt about it.  So even a well bled system is going to carry itty bitty tiny bubbles of air within the liquid.  That's ok actually.  The problem is only when they are too many or too large.

The problem, however, is supposed to occur if, for example, you bled your brakes at a low altitude.  Then you climbed.  Lower pressure as you gain altitude is less pressure on the air bubbles themselves.  This allows the air bubbles to expand.  So these suddenly bigger air bubbles inside the system make for a spongy pedal.

Trouble is that once sealed the hydraulic system basically "protects" the enclosed fluids from the external differences.  If it rains outside the fluid doesn't get wet.  And if barometric pressure outside goes marginally up or down you can still drive over the mountains and not feel it in your brake pedal.  The biggest thing with DOT5, no matter the altitude or other circumstances, is to get it bled slowly, carefully and well the first time.  Once you get a a solid pedal you'll keep it (on a non-ABS vehicle).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:44:02 PM by twolanerider »

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 10:36:27 AM »

The 2004 models still got DOT5.  2005 was the first year of the transition back away from it.  At the time I cast my runes and got an answer that this suggested a near term availablity of ABS.  Oh boy!!  We know how accurate that guess was . ;D

I believe that Police FL’s were first equipped with the anti-lock option in 05. It is my sense that DOT-4 was introduced in all touring FL’s at that time in order to commonize the brake components of these models.

djkak

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 11:51:38 AM »

I believe that Police FL’s were first equipped with the anti-lock option in 05. It is my sense that DOT-4 was introduced in all touring FL’s at that time in order to commonize the brake components of these models.

djkak

That's correct DJ.  For years HD had told police departments that ABS was "ineffective" for police uses.  Then when it became apparent that they'd start really losing business because of it they announced at the dealer show in 04 that three models of cop bikes would have it as an option starting with the 05 models.  I was just hoping that this would mean they'd follow on to everything else within some reasonable period of time.  No such luck so far  ;D .

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.