Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Transmission Oil what ya using  (Read 6094 times)

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
Re: Transmission Oil what ya using
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 10:26:10 PM »

I'm still filling all 3 holes with Amsoil 20-50 Synthetic, 78,000 miles, all original engine, tranny and primary parts; except for the oil cooler assembly which was just replaced for warping.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 11:54:11 PM »

He said that not me that he was going to switch to an alternate. I would agree when I changed over a couple a bikes ago both machines seemed to sift noticeably smoother with the Redline vs Harley product.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 11:38:45 PM »

Once again, a buddy broke something so someone is going to blame the first thing that is not HD original part. Why would you blame the lube when nothing is apparently being done to determine the lube is the fault?
I have broke a garage full of transmissions over the years, from T10's to Muncie's to HD's and never once was the lube the problem, but for some reason you are going to change yours based on his transmisson breaking?? 

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 05:21:48 AM »

Once again, a buddy broke something so someone is going to blame the first thing that is not HD original part. Why would you blame the lube when nothing is apparently being done to determine the lube is the fault?
I have broke a garage full of transmissions over the years, from T10's to Muncie's to HD's and never once was the lube the problem, but for some reason you are going to change yours based on his transmisson breaking??
Here here.
2015 FLHTKSE
Fuel Moto Jackpot Headers
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit
Stainless Fasteners throughout.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »

I have to smile at this post....brings backs back so much reality at work. We change so many gearboxes, many of which are supposed to be lube for life. Most of them are too....when all the oil leaks from them they fail. Hours are spent by our reliability dept try to figure out what the correct oil should have been when in all reality if they would have had any oil in them they would have been lasting much longer....lol. Its the same we see here a lot, nothing really wrong with the oil, if the weight is correct, differences being a little of this friction modifier or that one. But rarely does the oil fail you if its in there. Generally a mechanical part is the failure
Most great stores start with a bad decision

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »

Good post and great responses.  I've used Redline since I can't remember when, and I agree with Jerry.....the only Tranny failure I've ever had, in over 40 years, was the HD 6-sp I put in Ol' Maudie's original case, and that was a bearing failure that gaulded the main-shaft.  HD makes one tough tranny, IMO.  I've jerked 'em, stomped 'em, forgot what gear I was in, and everthing else, and never had a failure.  Had to down the Tranny in Maybelle to get the Case powder-coated Black, and went back with Formula+, at builder's (Jody), request.  Even if I don't see evidence of leakage, I'm anal about levels.  Been lucky.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 08:49:38 PM »

Bel Ray Gear Saver used here if it's my choice, or I'll use whatever the customer wants with-in reason.  ;)
John

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 10:45:35 PM »

Baker and Bandit both recommend Spectro products for the trans and primary so that's what I use. Mobil 1 in the engine.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »

That's odd .... One is a liter and the other a quart.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »

That's odd .... One is a liter and the other a quart.

Good eye! I never noticed that.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 07:43:40 AM »

Redline. Never had a problem. 90,000 on this bike. total of 400,000 miles on Harley's.
Bill
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.