Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dunlop D220 vs D205 rear tire for '06 FLSTFSE2  (Read 8199 times)

aabokla

Dunlop D220 vs D205 rear tire for '06 FLSTFSE2
« on: March 10, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »

Picked up some nasty road debris that punctured my rear tire today, so I'm suddenly looking for a replacement. Front tire has about 7k miles on it and is in good condition.

I went to Dunlap's website and they list the D220 as a replacement for the D205; while their is a match for the back tire, the front is a different story. The closest thing they have to a matching front tire is a 120 versus the current 140.

Options seem limited given the back is a 200 on a 17inch rim.

My question is should I go ahead and get the D220 for the rear and leave the D205 on the front? Could that arrangement be dangerous or cause problems? Does anyone have any experience with the D220 over the D205?

The big gripe I have with the D205 is their is no way to measure how much tread is left.

Any suggestions for on line sites that sell tires?

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
Re: Dunlop D220 vs D205 rear tire for '06 FLSTFSE2
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 06:15:12 AM »

I personaly don't like the Dunlops. I run have a lot of faith in Metzeler tyres I use the ME880 Marathon series which is a tyre designed for heavy crusiers. I can't tell you what they are like in the wet as I choose not to ride in the rain but they are exellent in the dry, I assume they are ok in the wet as they are a very popular tyre around here. Also Avon tyres are very good probably better than the Metzeler but I just cant get them in my size.
click   HERE   to check them out

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

aabokla

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »

I'm going with your advice and have ordered the metzeler will be here in a couple of days. thanks aussie!

Now i can just figure out how to remove that rear brake caliper after removing the axle, then I'm all set to take and have the tire mounted at the dealer. any suggestions?

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 04:47:50 PM »

I'm going with your advice and have ordered the metzeler will be here in a couple of days. thanks aussie!

Now i can just figure out how to remove that rear brake caliper after removing the axle, then I'm all set to take and have the tire mounted at the dealer. any suggestions?

Sorry Mate, but if you are not confident enough to take your rear wheel off with out detailed instructions I think for your own safety you should book her in & have the shop do it. It should happen while you wait if you make a booking only takes about 1/2 hour.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:55:12 PM »

Sorry Mate, but if you are not confident enough to take your rear wheel off with out detailed instructions I think for your own safety you should book her in & have the shop do it. It should happen while you wait if you make a booking only takes about 1/2 hour.

Cheers
Aussie

I agree! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »

I agree! Hoist! 8)

Is that DSP I'm smelling ???

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »

Is that DSP I'm smelling ???

Ya never know AJ, I'm in one of those moods! ::) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

aabokla

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »

Put the metzeler on yesterday and I really like the way it seems to just stick in the corners better than the dunlops. Thanks Aussie!!

Also it would appear that the metz sits the bike just a tad bit lower than the dunlops did, as before I could slide the lift under the bike and now I have to sit the bike upright to get the lift under the frame.

As far as removing the rear caliper.......well I'm no mechanic,but I want to learn this stuff. It was just really, really frustrating that I couldn't get the caliper off. Apparently on the 2005 screaming eagle FB and for most softails the rear brake caliper and mounting arm were a single one unit piece. On the '06 screaming eagle FB as well as the other 200 back tire softails, they went with a two piece caliper design. Thus on the '05 model the caliper just slides forward but with the '06 model having the caliper sitting inside the rim, that is not possible. You have to unbolt and remove the caliper from the axle mounting arm and then remove the wheel otherwise the caliper wedges between the rotor and the rim and your stuck. Which is where I was getting confused. When i saw a reference to the FXST having a different procedure that is when it all clicked as i remembered that for '06 it too had the 200 back tire.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »

Put the metzeler on yesterday and I really like the way it seems to just stick in the corners better than the dunlops. Thanks Aussie!!

Also it would appear that the metz sits the bike just a tad bit lower than the dunlops did, as before I could slide the lift under the bike and now I have to sit the bike upright to get the lift under the frame.

As far as removing the rear caliper.......well I'm no mechanic,but I want to learn this stuff. It was just really, really frustrating that I couldn't get the caliper off. Apparently on the 2005 screaming eagle FB and for most softails the rear brake caliper and mounting arm were a single one unit piece. On the '06 screaming eagle FB as well as the other 200 back tire softails, they went with a two piece caliper design. Thus on the '05 model the caliper just slides forward but with the '06 model having the caliper sitting inside the rim, that is not possible. You have to unbolt and remove the caliper from the axle mounting arm and then remove the wheel otherwise the caliper wedges between the rotor and the rim and your stuck. Which is where I was getting confused. When i saw a reference to the FXST having a different procedure that is when it all clicked as i remembered that for '06 it too had the 200 back tire.

Good to hear you got it sorted out & glad you like the tyre.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »

Also it would appear that the metz sits the bike just a tad bit lower than the dunlops did, as before I could slide the lift under the bike and now I have to sit the bike upright to get the lift under the frame.....

Ya know, I have a couple of miles under my belt, and I still wait a few miles before I test the stickyness in the corners....Like a hundred. Ok, so I scared. New brakes? I wait about a hundred miles too before I am testing the worthiness of the new setup. We know the outcome is going to be great with Metzler, but IMHO, I'll let the "crash test dummies" do the new tire testing.

Also, I went from the stock wheel height (2005) to an 18" wheel, and the Metzler's lower profile is still lower overall. I have to get my rear tire on a 2"x4" just to get my lift (Craftsman) under the frame. Great tires. Ride safe.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 11:47:06 AM by kona76 »
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 02:40:16 PM »

Ya know, I have a couple of miles under my belt, and I still wait a few miles before I test the stickyness in the corners....Like a hundred. Ok, so I scared. New brakes? I wait about a hundred miles too before I am testing the worthiness of the new setup. We know the outcome is going to be great with Metzler, but IMHO, I'll let the "crash test dummies" do the new tire testing.

Also, I went from the stock wheel height (2005) to an 18" wheel, and the Metzler's lower profile is still lower overall. I have to get my rear tire on a 2"x4" just to get my lift (Craftsman) under the frame. Great tires. Ride safe.

Kona,
what have you done or going to do about your speedo calabration?? It must be miles out now!

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 01:09:31 PM »

Aussie,

Gee thanks alot!! Make me think and everything.....It never crossed my mind, honestly. I rarely look at the speedo, mostly tach and ear if you know what I mean. OK, I'm going off to the shop and find out what I gotta do to be right.

Thanks again.

Man, can't a biker type just fix his OCD around here?

kona76
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »

Aussie,

Gee thanks alot!! Make me think and everything.....It never crossed my mind, honestly. I rarely look at the speedo, mostly tach and ear if you know what I mean. OK, I'm going off to the shop and find out what I gotta do to be right.

Thanks again.

Man, can't a biker type just fix his OCD around here?

kona76

Kona,
I have     ONE OF THESE   for my wide ass conversion (but obviously havn't used it yet) to me it looked like a good product & would fit the same as the stock product

There is also   THIS ONE   but I thought being inline it would look untidy.
Just a couple of ideas to help you out.

Cheers
Aussie

FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

kona76

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 02:22:29 PM »

Kona,
I have     ONE OF THESE   for my wide ass conversion (but obviously havn't used it yet) to me it looked like a good product & would fit the same as the stock product

There is also   THIS ONE   but I thought being inline it would look untidy.
Just a couple of ideas to help you out.

Cheers
Aussie

Hey Aussie,

I went to the experts at HogPro and my builder, both were of the same opinion: " the comphensation for rim size is almost equal to the tires reduced size. the variation is almost nil". I trust your opinion, do you think the adjustment mods are a real time necessity or just an accuracy issue?

kona76

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 02:25:26 PM by kona76 »

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 05:10:17 PM »

Hey Aussie,

I went to the experts at HogPro and my builder, both were of the same opinion: " the comphensation for rim size is almost equal to the tires reduced size. the variation is almost nil". I trust your opinion, do you think the adjustment mods are a real time necessity or just an accuracy issue?

kona76

Kona,

So tell me what are the actuall tyre sizes you have fitted? You are confusing me now you said it is lower & need a 2x4 now to get the lift under???

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 05:12:17 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.