Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: ATF lube in primary  (Read 4072 times)

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: ATF lube in primary
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 05:23:57 PM »

I have an empty primary right now after pulling it apart to replace a shifter seal and am thinking of trying that ATF route when I get the cover back on. Was reading the literature on the Alto Carbonite clutch and they are ok with ATF and reccomend type F for more holding power.

Automatic Transmission Fluid can be used with bikes that use separate oils for the engine, clutch and gearbox. Alto clutches will operate properly with any of the ATF fluids on the market. (Ford “Type F” fluid will give a more positive clutch engagement, and is more suitable for competition riding.)

It doesn't mention synthetic in their literature. Is dino a must or is synthetic ok?
Dave,
You won't have any problems using synthetic ATF in your primary with Alto Carbonite Clutch plates. I use Valvoline Max Life in all my Carbonite installs.
John
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:06:14 AM by johnsachs »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »

I put a Quart of VALVOLINE ATF with Dex/Merc in Primary and run motor a few minutes then drained it into a container and it was all red. I didn't see any discoloration from the regulator Primary oil. Then added a new quart in the ATF. I didn't notice any issues with the ATF.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 06:51:26 PM »

Dave,
You won't have any problems using synthetic ATF in your primary with Alto Carbonite Clutch plates. I use Valvoline Max Life in all my Carbonite installs.
John

Thank you John. Hows Florida weather treating you?
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »

I'd recommend if you're able removing the primary cover and clean it out, no need to pull the clutch hub apart to clean out the clutch first put a cardboard shroud over the top full length of the primary and run the motor for 30 seconds that will sling out any oil in the clutch hub and compensator.
If you don't pull the cover (because there's a few ounces still in the primary that doesn't drain) put in the ATF give it a short run then drain and refill with fresh ATF.

Funny you should make mention of the cardboard... I can tell you what happens when you start the bike without doing that!! Yep I have a bike that needs a cleaning...

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 06:54:44 PM »

I put a Quart of VALVOLINE ATF with Dex/Merc in Primary and run motor a few minutes then drained it into a container and it was all red. I didn't see any discoloration from the regulator Primary oil. Then added a new quart in the ATF. I didn't notice any issues with the ATF.

ATF is going back in old girl

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »

ATF is going back in old girl

Let us know if it's made any noticeable difference to your bikes performance. It definitely did to mine.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2020, 10:09:17 PM »

Let us know if it's made any noticeable difference to your bikes performance. It definitely did to mine.
Sure will. Hopefully by the weekend I can get her back together and get a few hundred miles on ot
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.