Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to determine if the Quad or 5th gear seal is leaking?  (Read 1411 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
How to determine if the Quad or 5th gear seal is leaking?
« on: December 08, 2020, 12:42:57 AM »

I put the bike back together and I only have a slight leak, instead of a big leak. I can't figure out what I did wrong. I will take it apart again tomorrow night.
  How can I which seal is leaking? Changing the 5th gear seal was a Major P.I.A. I was careful not to scratch the Mainshaft. I bought better pics to remove the seals. I have all the tools. I don't want to needlessly change a good seal. But if it's not obvious which one is bad, do I charge both? How can I tell??
Thanks

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: How to determine if the Quad or 5th gear seal is leaking?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 04:51:59 PM »

Aerosol spray powder is your best friend.  ;)
Clean area, spray with the powder, be sure movement (wind) doesn't spread the leak. Unfortunately you might have to remove the primary side parts, to find, and get to the leak. If so, overfill trans. and lay the bike over a bit on the left side. The leak should present.
John

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 07:47:33 PM »

Well, I removed the inner Primary and there wasn't any oil on pulley or between pulley and transmission  case. There was some oil coming from around the Jackshaft seal. There may have been some leaking from the primary to transmission case bolts. I forgot to silicone the two. I did loose two ounces of oil somehow.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 07:53:21 PM »

Inner Primary

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »

Looking at the inner primary pic it appears to be wet on the left of the casing and more concentration of wetness to the top then spreading out as it runs down.
Looks like the top fastener was leaking and running out of the hole in the casing for the fastener and running down to the seal.

Little tip on seals (you may already know) a seal can work as a cutting abrasive in time,..when dirt and grit becomes imbedded in to the rubber of the seal it can cut a groove in the steel that when a new seal is installed and set in the same place the new seal could leak because it's sitting in the groove made by the old seal.
To avoid the chance of that happening it's good practice to install a new seal slightly in or out but not in the exact same location as the old one was then the lip of the new seal is resting on a new unworn part of a shaft.

In the case of the primary seal it requires the seal be seated home (in as far as it can go) this puts the lip of the new seal back on that groove the old seal made. If you've already installed a new seal and it's bedded in as far as it will go for the price of a new seal I'd remove it and install one being sure not to bottom it out. It only has to be just a fraction off from were the old seal lip was riding on the shaft, in this case riding on a bearing race.
Then you'll have peace of mind that it's not going to leak from that seal,...(as long as the seals not damaged on installing the casing).
It doesn't heart to put a bit of sealer around the outer body edge of the seal when installing as well.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 11:03:38 PM »

I carefully examined the old jackshaft and there wasn't any decernable wear. I will be replaced the 22 year old original seal with the new style. I ordered the tool from George's Garage that should arrive by Saturday.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.