Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 139 tooth belt?  (Read 2344 times)

shimaze

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

139 tooth belt?
« on: July 20, 2022, 03:56:23 PM »

I am wanting to do a 30 tooth pulley conversion, but I am having a hard time finding a 139 tooth belt.

Does anyone know where I can find a 139 tooth belt that is 1 inch wide that is as strong as the stock 140 tooth belt? I know the Falcon belt is junk and the Drag Specialties is a renamed Falcon belt. And I also know that Buell belt is 3/4" wide and the trike belt is 1-1/8" wide, but both are 139 tooth. 

Can someone please reply with a link and a part number?

shimaze

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Re: 139 tooth belt?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 12:47:28 AM »

It’s kind of hard to believe that with the popularity of the 30-tooth pulley modification and the fact that manufacturers make aftermarket 30-tooth pulleys, that a 1” wide 139 tooth belt is not readily available. Falcon apparently makes a belt, but for some unknown reason, they don’t make it strong enough for a full-size Harley Davidson touring motorcycle. An adequately strong enough belt that is 1” wide 139 tooth long seems to be a unicorn of sorts. Lots of information about the 30-tooth pulley and many complaints of broken Falcon belts. But no one seems to have posted a part number and a source for the magic belt.

I did find two possible sources for an alternative for the problematic Falcon / Drag Specialties belt

http://www.bdl-sales.com/139T-1-INCH-WIDE-14MM-POLYCHAIN_p_500.html   

https://www.legendmcs.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=MU-77570

Has anyone bought a belt from either of these sources when they did the 30-tooth modification?

I run into a minimum order problem and a $15 handling fee at bdl-sales.com and the website at American Legends is less than convincing

shimaze

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 10:24:34 PM »

I know I keep talking to myself and no one seems interested in the belt problem with the 30 tooth pulley. Maybe no one does this anymore or they just keep replacing Falk’o’junk belts and keep on going. Or perhaps all the 30 tooth guys are all out and riding and not on the forums?

I talked to a guy at Belt Drive Service and he claims Falk’o’junk belts are good and just as strong as Gates belts. I told him about all the fuss on the forums about the Falk’o’junk  belts breaking and he claimed that it is likely to due to worn out rear pulleys and that Harley Davidson recommends replacing rear pulleys every 40k miles. I always thought that the belts and pulleys were good for a 100k miles?

Any thoughts on the rear pulley wearing out or the Falcon belt really able to withstand the weight and power of a Harley Davidson touring motorcycle?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 01:06:12 AM »

The lack of answer can be the answer.  Haven't read/heard of anyone doing this for a long time.  Of the relatively small number that did this several did have problems.  A few went alternative routes (and I don't recall enough of the detail of other's work to share).  And that is the sum total of my unfortunate lack of response response.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 07:16:57 PM »

some have modified the swing arm and used the factory belt,,, i remember seeing posts/how to on this site, some searching should find that info.... good luck  :2vrolijk_21: https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=67516.0;attach=202222;image
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:22:00 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 07:34:33 PM »

go to page 5 in drive train and you will find the info   
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

shimaze

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 03:58:49 AM »

The lack of answer can be the answer

You are probably correct in your statement and it is very well said. I have my primary torn apart and I am contemplating the 30 tooth pulley conversion. But I am concerned about having a belt that is prone to breaking. I spoke to BDL about the Falcon and Gates belt. When I hung up, I was even less confident I was not creating a problem. Some say get the Gates belt and some claim that one breaks too. I am still on the fence about the 30 tooth. I know that lowering the gear ratio will serve the bike well. But I just don’t know if a 139 tooth belt is possible (without breaking). I don’t want to modify the swing arm with all the welding and shock mount interference problems. Plus why can’t the aftermarket Gates belt be as strong as the one they sell to MoCo?

What we really need is a 1-1/8” wide rear pulley and a trip to the dealer to get a factory 139 tooth 1.125” Trike belt. If it can withstand the stress of a heavy trike, it should be able to withstand the stress of a much lighter motorcycle. But no one makes such a pulley because apparently that light has not light up in the minds of the experts in the industry. A 1-1/8” wide belt is 12.5% wider and therefore (theoretically) 12.5% stronger than a 1” wide belt. Add 6.7% more torque to a 12.5% stronger belt equals a positive net gain of 5.8% gain in torque capacity. Just what the doctor ordered when prescribed a 124” 150/150 and a Baker Grudge Box. Instead, the problem is solved with a high maintenance chain conversion. I can stick my finger between the belt and the tire!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 10:42:11 PM »

You are probably correct in your statement and it is very well said. I have my primary torn apart

Wish I had a more specific suggestion here other than just spitballing.  Are the options for changing gearing at the other end (since your primary is already open)?  On the older primary drive systems changing compensator gears was a common option to make a change; and that would be easy if the newer primary drives had such things as options?

shimaze

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 11:46:05 PM »

I have decided to hold off on the 30 tooth conversion for now. Instead, I am looking at going with the Baker DD7.

The Baker DD7It it a lot more money, but I can subtract the cost of a new belt and pulley. The DD7 has a lower first gear and all the gears are lower until the 7th gear which is a 1:1 just like the factory 6th gear. All lower gears, still has a 1:1 top gear, and smoother transmission operation are all pluses. My main goal is to be able to take off from a stop light in a slower and more controlled manner. With the stock gearing, the bike takes off too fast or has to be double clutched so I don't hit the car in front of me. Its also annoying to have to lug it in 2nd gear or rev the hell out of it in first gear to take a corner in city riding. It is also annoying to have to go up the Tail of the Dragon in first gear at 3500 RPMs. I am hoping the DD7 gives me a lower and more useable second gear.

I am also going to install the rear wheel adjusters when they become available. I can now see that my rear wheel is slightly out of line because of the cam style wheel adjusters.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 10:26:59 PM »

I did the 30th upgrade and did the swingarm mod and retained the stock belt.  Best mod I've done on the '09 SERG... :)

The swingarm mod is not hard to do and even if you had to have someone bring a portable welder over, you can do the rest in preparation for the mod.  I forget who I bought my gussets from, but a member here sold them for $25 a set.

I've had NO issues with my mod since completed.  I gained about 300 rpms per gear for a given original mph.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.