Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cam swap/heads install, looking for advise on parts/tools and Vendors  (Read 982 times)

plustiano

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE Ultra Violet Blue/Lava Orange

Hey fellow riders,

I'm planning on my first real HP/TQ upgrade, and I'll be doing all of the work myself just for the experience. Looking for specialty tools absolutely needed for my project and vendor recommendations for parts/service plus plain good advice. I've read numerous posts already on best cams/build  and am still un decided on which cam to go with. I'm thinking since I'm going in might as well do the most I can  first try lol. I'm open to all advice and recommendations for my project. I do have experience in rebuilding a SBC and  a cam swap on LS1 engines, but vtwins none.
At the very least I'm doing cams, cam bearings and lifters. to minimize downtime, I did secure a used set of stock SE 110 Liquid cooled heads, that I may send out for some work for optimum HP/TQ.

My bike is a 2015 Flhsxe 110 with fulsac dx pipe w/ 2.25 cores and a tts master tune with almost 10k miles lol. I have more time now to ride so I'll be putting a lot more miles on it. Never dyno'd but I'm guessing I'm close to or at 100/105. I'd like a pickup from 2000 on up to maybe 5500ish if possible. I ride mainly in 2200-3500/3700 and just want more butt dyno fun on demand. I do notice it just falls flat on its face around 4000 rpm. I do ride 2 up every now and then with my wife and also with my 10yr old daughter. Sorry for the long post, just trying to be as thorough as possible.

So far I've been looking at GMR 577 if that's even still available and Tman 580ps or something similar for cams, but who knows...  Thinking if I do decide to send my spare heads out, I'd probably want my compression set around 10.:1 ~ 10:2  Thoughts on this? As far as tuners go, I'm open to suggestions. I'm in the South east  Georgia savannah/ Ft Stewart area.

Also, was looking at the 113 and 117 builds lol. Yes I went down the rabbit hole and now I'm just straight up lost! But really though, I'd be happy with my original thought of cam, cam bearings, and lifters w/ stock top end. Thoughts?

V/R,
Paul

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:59:41 PM by plustiano »

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
Re: Cam swap/heads install, looking for advise on parts/tools and Vendors
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 08:04:43 PM »

Do the heads.  There are many reasons, but engine longevity is the primary goal.

plustiano

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 09:44:22 PM »

I will do the heads. I understand that it’s all positive no negative to head upgrade.. still would like to know if there are any must have special tools I need to acquire before I start my tear down.

Thank for the reply regarding the heads.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 07:16:42 AM »

I will do the heads. I understand that it’s all positive no negative to head upgrade.. still would like to know if there are any must have special tools I need to acquire before I start my tear down.

Thank for the reply regarding the heads.

Cam bearing removal/install tool?
Torque wrench?
Can’t think of anything else other than usual hand tools.
You already have a TTS tuner, you would benefit a good tune when finished.

:nixweiss:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 07:18:54 AM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

plustiano

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 02:13:22 PM »

got the cam bearing puller/installer tool on order. thx!

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 10:58:41 AM »

nice to have the cyl hold down bolts if just the heads coming off. Theres a couple different valve cover and support plate ratchets that make it easier. Dogbones for valve covers is nice. Theres also a couple tools that make getting the intake off/on easier too :bananarock:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 09:48:14 PM »

The above mentioned dogbones are handy for getting things torqued back as well
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.