Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: New Aftermarket Radio -- Couldn't Find it in Search  (Read 11638 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New Aftermarket Radio -- Couldn't Find it in Search
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2023, 06:43:47 PM »

Well sh*t MJ; I was really content not having to actually yet decide whether I wanted one of these or not.  I've pulled my radio and fixed its bad solder point (got lucky) so now it really is all about malicious desire rather than any kind of need.  The poor old Road Glide hasn't received anything significant for three or four years though.

Decisions, decisions...

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2023, 07:18:55 PM »

Well sh*t MJ; I was really content not having to actually yet decide whether I wanted one of these or not.  I've pulled my radio and fixed its bad solder point (got lucky) so now it really is all about malicious desire rather than any kind of need.  The poor old Road Glide hasn't received anything significant for three or four years though.

Decisions, decisions...

Glad I could help  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2023, 03:07:28 PM »

I talked to Jay when I ordered mine and he said it would not work with the factory amps because every one they have looked at were wired different so no universal harness could be made. He said th C inCVO really meant custom. After talking for a while and discussing it further he said it could probably be figured out on a per bike basis but not a universal harness to cover all CVO's. My concern was having to drill more holes in the bags to run new wiring. I went ahead and got one in hand so now to see how good my stereo guy is! If he gets everything to work including the ipod I am going to be very impressed. Should know in the next few weeks if I am able to use stock amps and wiring. Will update after install.
T-MAN 117 kit

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2023, 01:59:38 PM »

deldago, I look forward to your review on the unit. The 2009 FLTRSE3 models have no factory external amps, ipods or any other special feature, there is an input on the faceplate I have used a time or three.

Wut the hell was that maneuver

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2023, 02:45:17 PM »

Just got done installing it and everything was plug and play! Took longer to get the damn fairing back on than it did to hook the radio up. Android auto works perfectly. Onlything I haven't figured out is if the ipod is going to work.
T-MAN 117 kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2023, 07:36:59 PM »

Just got done installing it and everything was plug and play! Took longer to get the damn fairing back on than it did to hook the radio up. Android auto works perfectly. Onlything I haven't figured out is if the ipod is going to work.

Played with it enough to know if it has an AVC function that works well as your ride?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2023, 09:43:29 PM »

plug and play with the CVO amps?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2023, 10:36:34 AM »

Yes sir, they provided a splitter that plugs into both harnesses and everything is running through the front and rear saddlebag amps. Sounds much better than the Harmon Cardin stock radio. I have not tried the AVC as it is currently 17 degrees in Ohio. Still trying to figure out the ipod but if it doesn't work it would not be a big deal as I stream XM from my phone with bluetooth. The Android auto works perfectly with the phone plugged into the USB cord that I routed into the left glove box. It even charges the phone while connected.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 10:38:27 AM by deldago »
T-MAN 117 kit

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2023, 12:19:42 PM »

Yes sir, they provided a splitter that plugs into both harnesses and everything is running through the front and rear saddlebag amps. Sounds much better than the Harmon Cardin stock radio. I have not tried the AVC as it is currently 17 degrees in Ohio. Still trying to figure out the ipod but if it doesn't work it would not be a big deal as I stream XM from my phone with bluetooth. The Android auto works perfectly with the phone plugged into the USB cord that I routed into the left glove box. It even charges the phone while connected.
Damn you Brad. I had already convinced myself that I don't need to upgrade the RF unit in my '12. Will have to wait a few months until you can get it out to ride and see if sun glare is an issue on that unit.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2023, 06:52:20 PM »

Neal.......That harness they have is awewome....it was plug and play with my '18 SERG also.

Mike

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2023, 10:04:52 PM »

Here I'm trying to replace my HK head unit because of the backlight issue at night.  Found a used on in TX and now after seeing this, I might upgrade my '09 with just front speakers and the J&W amp.

I see Note Cycles, https://notecycles.com/products/soundstream-reserve-harley-davidson-head-unit-hdhu-9813rg-1998-2013-road-glide?msclkid=f670c39d73491e337404a07d1e3cb8a7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20DSA%20-%20Categories&utm_term=soundstream&utm_content=SoundStream has them at $999.00 + $65 for the XM antenna and a wireless Apple Carplay or Android Carplay option of $160.  Might be a bit cheaper than Volunteer Audio.

I'll follow with bated breath... :)

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2023, 11:50:16 AM »

Here I'm trying to replace my HK head unit because of the backlight issue at night.  Found a used on in TX and now after seeing this, I might upgrade my '09 with just front speakers and the J&W amp.

I see Note Cycles, https://notecycles.com/products/soundstream-reserve-harley-davidson-head-unit-hdhu-9813rg-1998-2013-road-glide?msclkid=f670c39d73491e337404a07d1e3cb8a7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20DSA%20-%20Categories&utm_term=soundstream&utm_content=SoundStream has them at $999.00 + $65 for the XM antenna and a wireless Apple Carplay or Android Carplay option of $160.  Might be a bit cheaper than Volunteer Audio.

I'll follow with bated breath... :)

Dan

I can't say I have heard of them, but I can say Volunteer Audio will stand behind and assist on everything they sell. When the '14 and up radio came out, they even helped a guy from France that didn't buy the radio from them!! I spoke with the owner when working out a bug with the amp turn on for my '18 SERG. That was at 8:00 at night.....He has since posted a video with the settings for the fix. Going with another company would depend on the cost difference I guess.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2023, 12:33:38 PM »

I can't say I have heard of them, but I can say Volunteer Audio will stand behind and assist on everything they sell. When the '14 and up radio came out, they even helped a guy from France that didn't buy the radio from them!! I spoke with the owner when working out a bug with the amp turn on for my '18 SERG. That was at 8:00 at night.....He has since posted a video with the settings for the fix. Going with another company would depend on the cost difference I guess.
That is what I paid from Volunteer radio, $999 with free shipping. Had it in 3 days.
T-MAN 117 kit

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2023, 01:19:48 PM »

Now that you've had a bit more time to give it a once over, how's it going?  With the warm days here and there, have you had the bike out to see how well it shows up in the sunlight?  I'm not sure if $1k is worth it for me or not.  It would be great to use the GPS off the iPhone and stream etc via XM.

Any further report would be greatly appreciated... :)

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2023, 01:34:29 PM »

Now that you've had a bit more time to give it a once over, how's it going?  With the warm days here and there, have you had the bike out to see how well it shows up in the sunlight?  I'm not sure if $1k is worth it for me or not.  It would be great to use the GPS off the iPhone and stream etc via XM.

Any further report would be greatly appreciated... :)     

The only time the glare is really bad is when the sun is directly behing you. I can move my head a little to one side if I really need to see clearly. Wish they would have stood the screen up a little more vertical as the problem seems to be more the up angle of the screen. It does not have speed compensated volume which is kind of a bummer but something I can live without.After getting out for a few rides I am really loving the versatility of having everything built in. I recently downloaded Waze to my phone and wasn't even using it and it warned me of police ahead. Sure enough about 1/4 mile down the road there he was hiding in the weeds. I did forget to hook the mike up and after using it I will pull the fairing and run it into the same glove box as the charge port just to be able to use it when stopped. I may also add the rear camera as it would be useful when the tourpack and wife are on the bike it would help backing in to a curb spot parking. The google maps are great as you can use a traditional white background or a satellite image that really shows the terrain. When I first turned it on and zoomed in I could make out the color on my truck parked in the driveway.Using my wife's subsciption to XM allows me free access to it as soon as I plug the phone in it starts automatically. So far I am very happy with it. If anyone has any specific questions let me know and I will try to get an answer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 01:39:08 PM by deldago »
T-MAN 117 kit
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.