Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: New Aftermarket Radio -- Couldn't Find it in Search  (Read 12871 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New Aftermarket Radio -- Couldn't Find it in Search
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2023, 05:01:33 PM »

Don:
       I am guessing they both use the same basic OS so I can say for the 14 and later model radio that Android auto looks just like it does in my 2022 truck....

Just my $.02

Mike

Thanks Mike.  There is a LOT of similarity in Android Auto implementations but a little confirmation always helps. 

For you or Dan or Neal who have been here already; does this radio have an aux input port to accept audio from external wired sources.  I've got the Garmin nav setup like the Softail Convertibles used installed on the windshields of both my Road Glide and my Road King.  I know it would become redundant but I'm not averse to backup systems (especially if they're already in place and don't cost anything new). 

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2023, 06:23:07 PM »

Good question....maybe Dan would know since he just did his......I enlarged his pic and didn't see any input for that.

Also, for anybody elese reading this thread.....personally I had an issue with mine that the screen is VERY hard to see in the sun. but that is 14 and later so I can't say what will be your experience. Also, I found the response from the joystick when switching songs is slow.....But on the older bikes your choices are very limited so you take what you can get.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2023, 09:10:30 PM »

Also, for anybody elese reading this thread.....personally I had an issue with mine that the screen is VERY hard to see in the sun.

Yeah.....  perhaps it's just the pessimist (or realist) in me but advertising/marketing notwithstanding I never expect any screen to be even marginally effective when the sun is behind me.  Can't imagine a polarizing filter to do that kind of job and if it were just bright enough to overcome the sun's brightness itself the radio would fry my eyeballs (and I'm sure this would be bad for the day's ride).  So, screw it, nothing's perfect.  Well, nothing except a good ride.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2023, 09:18:26 AM »

Thanks Mike.  There is a LOT of similarity in Android Auto implementations but a little confirmation always helps. 

For you or Dan or Neal who have been here already; does this radio have an aux input port to accept audio from external wired sources.  I've got the Garmin nav setup like the Softail Convertibles used installed on the windshields of both my Road Glide and my Road King.  I know it would become redundant but I'm not averse to backup systems (especially if they're already in place and don't cost anything new).

Don,

i had the same question and was going to leave my GPS on the bike as we don't always ride with cell coverage.

there is a plug but its only for a mic, when answering a phone call.

i was able to Bluetooth my Garmin to the soundstream to get audio that way, but ultimately decide to remove the Garmin.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2023, 11:32:21 AM »

Don,

i had the same question and was going to leave my GPS on the bike as we don't always ride with cell coverage.

there is a plug but its only for a mic, when answering a phone call.

i was able to Bluetooth my Garmin to the soundstream to get audio that way, but ultimately decide to remove the Garmin.

Thanks Neal.  Appreciate it.  The too occasional lack of cell coverage was part of my concern also.  I like backups.

Without a hardwired aux port I'd likely end up doing the same thing you did though.  That means I'd also end up replacing the windshield rather than leaving the current shield on there with useless GPS mounts installed.  Hmmm....   

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2023, 12:59:55 PM »

Okay, a bit more information for you Don.

I wear quite dark polarized sunglasses and so far on what have been beautiful riding days, not a cloud in the sky type days, I've not had any issues seeing my screen.  All different screens show up very nicely.... Except for the EQ screen.  All of the bars and setpoints disappear from view.

I've not used Apple Carplay much, in my new Ford F-350 some just to get a bit of a hang of it, but I'm not enamored with the less than user friendly means to get around on the MAPS screen etc., but that's probably normal for lots of GPS type head units.  You cannot just touch the screen and move your location around or zoom in etc.  You have to use the 4-points compass icon and then that gives you an arrow on each screen side/top/bottom etc. to push with your finger.  To zoom in/out, you use the + - screen buttons.  I've been spoiled by how easy it is to use the maps on my iPhone.  I'll get used to it for sure.  When using Google Maps, the course lights up in blue as normal and the heading seems to be N/S on the screen always.  So, your directional arrow is heading in the direction relative to N/S.  The little lady speaks very loudly and is quite easy to hear while riding at speed.  Cuts the music off and then talks. 

I opted for a Bluetooth device to link my iPhone with the Soundstream rather than the hardwire USB as shipped.  The one I bought has some lag in connecting, but once connected, it seems to have very little latency for screen manipulation etc.

Neal is correct, no inputs to the Soundstream other than the MIC for phone use.  I should have put the MIC on, but didn't.  I could have just tucked it in somewhere and I would have it if needed later.  But now it would require ANOTHER front fairing removal, and I've done that enough times lately to not want to do it again anytime soon... :)

Once logged into your phone, you only get about 10 or so of the apps off your phone.  I'm guessing that they are the embedded apps that are Apple only etc.  When running MAPS, you can split screen to see what XM is playing along with half the screen for the GPS.  That's nice.

I'm very happy with the new head unit.  I would highly recommend it for people that want a bit more music options and to have GPS on the bike and not on your phone on the handlebars.  For some, it's a grand waisted.  The ONLY reason I could have had to upgrade my '09 SERG, was the Rushmore upgrades and the new Harley screen head units.  Now for a grand, I have what I want and am very happy with bike's performance and comfort.  For an '09, still under 25k miles... :)

I've attached a picture of the inputs for the Soundstream.  Looks like if you have aftermarket amps and have four speakers, RCA connections would get one up and running very quickly.

Don't know how the Garmin is going to play out for your guys.  I almost did that for mine, but then we stopped riding as much and it didn't seem worthwhile for the money at the time.

If you're worried about the brightness of the screen in bright sunlight, I've not had any issues so far, except for the EQ screen as mentioned above.  Not to sound too redundant, I do really like this so far and it looks amazing, just as Harley should have done!

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2023, 02:25:27 PM »

Thanks Dan.  Appreciate all that and the info helps.  FWIW I did make a purchase today.  Sort of....   

Was at Best Buy and saw a cord that was two RCA connectors at one end (all I'd need) and 3.5mm stereo on the other.  That's the input on my old amplifier.  So grabbed it while it was in front of me just in case I'll need it someday :drink: .

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2023, 01:33:20 PM »

Just like a Boy Scout, always be prepared... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2023, 04:34:07 PM »

This has been on my mind again the last few days (winter break?).  More for Neal than Dan since it looks like he setup a mic?

What functions of the radio are actually functionally controllable while moving?  I'm assuming the hand controls only run volume and other radio controls?  Working through the other apps on screen is touch?  What functions actually respond to the voice controls (if one is using a mic)?  And is the mic a hardwired device only or can you bluetooth (or even USB connect) earbuds or speakers and mic in a helmet?

Just how functional is all the potential function?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »

i believe the mic is only for phone calls.

hand controls are good for volume, track up/down, changing inputs

i used mostly pandora and sirruis/xm with an app not over the air

screen was typically on Waze

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2023, 11:32:25 AM »

i believe the mic is only for phone calls.

hand controls are good for volume, track up/down, changing inputs

i used mostly pandora and sirruis/xm with an app not over the air

screen was typically on Waze

So even with mic no voice systems control.  For nav and other android auto/carplay functions it's what you set before you roll unless you're willing to tap the screen while riding?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2023, 02:13:17 PM »

So even with mic no voice systems control.  For nav and other android auto/carplay functions it's what you set before you roll unless you're willing to tap the screen while riding?

you got it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2023, 03:36:20 PM »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2024, 12:49:15 AM »

I can swap between screens while riding and the NAV voice comes through the speakers just like in a car.  I like the split screen with NAV and your source showing all the time.  I bought a Bluetooth module and like my iPhone through that to the radio head unit.

Once I got to the RCA's for the input to the amp versus the speaker wires like what I had for my HD HK radio to amp, it works fine now and the volume is good too.

I really like the new head unit, a LOT!  The "ONLY" reason I ever thought about upgrading my CVO, was when the new '15 came out with the Rushmore audio system with NAV.  Granted this is not a NAV head unit, but with the Apple CarPlay, it works just as good.  There's a bit of a lag hooking up when I start up, but I'm guessing that's because of my Bluetooth and NOT being hard wired via USB.  This way I have my RAM mount with the QI charger module and hard wired that to my main power supply.  Then just slip in the iPhone and not additional wiring needed.

I'm sure you'll like it Don.  What's another grand in the whole scope of it??? :)

Happy New Year everyone!

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2024, 11:45:11 AM »

So you have wireless Carplay?  Volunteer has them on sale right now and thinking of getting one for the 08 Roadglide.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 22 queries.