Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front tire losing pressure  (Read 877 times)

Gumby

• MacMan
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 20VO Limited
Front tire losing pressure
« on: October 31, 2022, 12:53:44 PM »

I just had a new front tire installed and placed 36 pounds in it. Bike sat in my garage for two weeks while scuba diving in Fiji. Pressure went down to 33 pounds in two weeks. Any recommendations? This doesn't seem 'normal loss' to me. Thanks.
Tom

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Front tire losing pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 02:36:18 PM »

Tires can lose air while sitting. Temperature affects pressure so what was the temperature 3 weeks ago?

Having said that, check the bead on the tire and make sure it is consistent with the rim all the way around on both sides. Put some dishwashing soap in a small amount of water and with your finger, wet the valve stem. I assume you've checked for nails or other debris in the tire itself.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Gumby

• MacMan
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 03:44:13 PM »

Greg, thanks for taking the time to respond and suggest ideas. Yes, I had the tire installed by an independent Harley certified mechanic. A few days after he installed it I checked and there was a four pounds pressure loss. I took it back to him and he actually did the soap leak test and found nothing. He suggested if the problem continued to take it to a Harley dealer - go figure. I am having the "low tire pressure" message come on when I turn on the bike. This happened before I had the tire changed and continues after. Perhaps there is something with the tire pressure monitor causing the issue? The temp when I left here in Texas two weeks ago was in the 80's or so. It has cooled off a bit but the bike was at a relative stable temp in my garage which is insulated. So I doubt if temperature is the issue. I just don't think it should continue to lose pressure like this. I'll probably take it to the dealer and see if they can trouble shoot it further. I have the Harley tire extended warranty so all should be good. Thanks for your ideas.
Gumby

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 07:13:17 AM »

Is it still losing pressure after proper inflation this last time?  In my experience its normal to lose a few pounds after a tire change, inflating sets the bead but but still takes a little time to permanently set.  Are you using a tire pressure gauge to check or using the TPMS?  The low pressure message if detected when you turned the bike off will stay on when you start the bike next, you will need to ride it a few miles for the sensors to send a new pressure to the bike.

Gumby

• MacMan
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 07:56:27 AM »

Spence,Thanks for the information and questions. Yes, it lost three pounds since the last inflation. I inflated it to 36# two weeks ago prior to vacation. When I returned it had lost the three pounds just sitting in my insulated garage. That's twice now that this has happened since the new tire change despite me riding a couple hundred miles in between.  I am using both gauges to check to make sure of accuracy. I'll let it sit another couple days, see what happens and then trouble shoot it. If I'm still having problems then I'll go to a dealer and see what the mechanic can find. The tire sensor might be related to the valve/sensor. I think they need to reset something when a new tire is installed and my "independent" certified Harley mechanic didn't have that equipment - might be the last time I use him. Thanks for your input.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 08:51:06 AM »

Try using very soapy water with the pressure set at 40 + psi, spray the bead the wheel and the valve stem with the cap off, while slowly rotating the tire.
You have a very slow leak and the air bubbles are going to be very small and will take a few minutes to build up.
TPMS sensor sends signal all the time , a short ride time will confirm position.
My 15 CVO Limted front tire pressure was low the first ride home, dealer couldn't find the leak , put on a new tire, still lost a few lbs in a couple days, put in a new valve stem,  still lost pressure,  second tire replacement,  same pressure loss, in a week it would be as low as 10 lbs.
They replaced the wheel and no more pressure loss.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Gumby

• MacMan
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 09:23:48 AM »

Joel, Hmmmm. Very good advice from your past experience. I'll give it a go today with he 40# testing and soapy water here at home. If I can't find anything then I decide if it goes to the dealer .....or not. Thanks.
Gumby

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 02:35:06 PM »

Check the valve stem core, it may be loose…. Happened to me once after a tire replacement 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Gumby

• MacMan
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 02:41:40 PM »

Again, thanks for the tip! Yesterday I filled the tire to 40# and soaked it in soapy water without any findings. The valve step didn't leak at all - after repeated attempts to find a leak. This is what is called a 'conundrum'.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 10:15:41 AM »

I had the same issue and it was a loose valve stem. Drove me crazy!

Gumby

• MacMan
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 04:55:45 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I finally had the whole valve stem replaced and the tire re-set. No problems since I had that done. Happy New Year.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.