Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Out with the Ö(ld)lins and in with the new SS  (Read 1378 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Out with the Ö(ld)lins and in with the new SS
« on: December 11, 2022, 10:47:15 AM »

Swapped out the öhlins 159 off my '15 RGU today for the set of 14" Supershox I bought off of a member from the RG forum this morning. I've got some pix of the relocation brackets for those that are curious about them.

Big reason for the swap is ease of adjustment.

Now before anyone thinks I'm bashing the öhlins, I'll add that they've served us well. A couple of pet peeves about them though is that they're an inconvenience IMO to adjust from one up to two up riding. Pull the bags, Jack the bike up to make spinning that collar with the special tool easier and then reversing the process. Also the fact that öhlins says they need new oil in them every 20-30k miles depending on who you ask to the tune of $300+ for shocks you've spent $900 on just leaves a sour taste in the wallet. They will be going on my '12 RGC as I ride that bike solo 90% of the time so I won't worry about adjusting them when tossing Momma on the back for a day trip

Here's the pix.

Sad thing it will be spring before I can get them dialed in. That should give me plenty of time to get these bikes detailed.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Out with the Ö(ld)lins and in with the new SS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 06:39:40 PM »

I've been on the fence  on the SuperShox (?)  for awhile, looked into them a couple years back , and I'm sure the price is higher now than pre covid when I emailed my bike and combined weight info as they preset them before shipping.
So being I'm not in a hurry I'll wait for your feedback on how they make the bike ride.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 08:18:43 PM »

I've been riding with them on my 2013 CVO Ultra Classic for five years......not looking back.  Here's a link to my post back then....

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=114485.msg1472699#msg1472699
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 08:34:53 PM »

I've been on the fence  on the SuperShox (?)  for awhile, looked into them a couple years back , and I'm sure the price is higher now than pre covid when I emailed my bike and combined weight info as they preset them before shipping.
So being I'm not in a hurry I'll wait for your feedback on how they make the bike ride.
I believe it's $875 for the 14" now with the brackets. Not sure which series that is. I jumped in these when the guy listed them based on great feedback from multiple users on the RG forum. Brian is a great guy to talk to and is very helpful.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 12:03:55 PM »

Mike I did the opposite, had the supershox, sold them and went with Ohlins and honestly did not feel a difference single or 2 up with or without tourpack. I did not mess with them much as far as adjustment, left them where Smarty set them for me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 10:04:15 AM by deldago »
T-MAN 117 kit

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 12:11:18 AM »

I previously had 13" Ohlins set up by Carol Burks (Smarty). I couldn't really get them dialed in from day one even with his help. My bike has been in the shop for over a month getting a bunch of overdue maintenance items taken care of. My friend installed 14" Super Shox while it was there. At only 5'8", it was nice getting the bike back to stock ride height while gaining suspension travel. That relocation mount is a great idea. Overall, the ride feels great. I set them up based on the provided guidance chart and only needed to back the preload out a 1/4 turn to find the sweet spot. Moving forward I'm optimistic about how they will work out. With 3.5" of shock travel, one setting should be able to handle a broad range of weight changes.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.