Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Progressive fork springs  (Read 646 times)

P_uffe

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

Progressive fork springs
« on: January 08, 2023, 05:48:31 AM »

Happy new riding year!
My 05 is in serious need of updated suspension. Even the slightest bump or hole in the road results in front bottoming out.
I have read up on the internet and come to the conclusion that it definitely needs a fork fluid change. I was also considering going with new springs, Progressive part no 680078.
Has anyone gone down this road?
Are they a straight swap slip in? Preload?
I ride mostly 2up and combined weight around 330lbs
What are your impressions?
What oil w are you using? W10, w15?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 05:56:14 AM by P_uffe »

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Progressive fork springs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 05:30:27 PM »

Yeah, fork springs and shocks wear out from supporting the weight of the bike full-time and repeated expansion and contraction, fork oil from heat and churning, and fork seals dry out and get micro-leaks if not full breakage.  A fork rebuild or shock replacement will help a lot.

I can't find any fork springs or monotubes with #680078 on the PS web site (https://www.progressivesuspension.com/products/harley.  Could that be the vendor's PN?

Note:  It's been 10 years since I rode on the PS front *monotubes*, so they might have made changes since then, both good and bad.

Installed the PS monotubes (lowered version, PN 31-2501) on my '08 SEUC.  Put about 26,000 miles on them in 2 years.  New, really loved the smoothness (less road vibration), quiet ride, more stability (especially in curves), less brake dive.

By 20k miles, they felt pretty well worn out.  Even with half-price labor att (winter special at dealer), the combined cost of parts + labor was high for only 20k miles effective use.

PS says the monotubes have "Lifetime Limited Warranty," but the warranty provisions specifically say it does not cover 'normal wear and tear.'  Of course, you also have to pay the R & R cost and shipping.

Good luck and enjoy the renewed ride. 
If you want peace, prepare for war.

P_uffe

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 11:51:36 AM »

This is the one l found. Thanks for your impressions. I don't know if I'm going to do the full monotube kit, l was only planning on the springs for starters.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 04:19:32 PM »

I see why (probably) the part numbers are different:  different web sites for different countries, with prices in Euros instead of dollars.

I expect spring replacement will provide a lot of change, especially with the age of the original springs.  Also, if the originals were not progressive rate springs, the new ones will provide benefits when the old ones would have bottomed out.

No matter which you choose, springs or monotubes, you'll get much better ride and handling.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.