Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson Vows to Go All-electric  (Read 5195 times)

92fxsts

• Junior CVO Member
    • MD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE...sold
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
Harley-Davidson Vows to Go All-electric
« on: January 25, 2023, 06:06:33 PM »

This Should End Well: Harley-Davidson Vows to Go All-electric - The New American

https://thenewamerican.com/this-should-end-well-harley-davidson-vows-to-go-all-electric/

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Harley-Davidson Vows to Go All-electric
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 07:23:49 PM »

This Should End Well: Harley-Davidson Vows to Go All-electric - The New American

https://thenewamerican.com/this-should-end-well-harley-davidson-vows-to-go-all-electric/

Well at least someone in the MoCo is looking at the future.  But knowing HD it will be an electric bike built on "old classic" technology that is leaps and bounds BEHIND everyone else. It will be over priced and targeted to buyers who cannot afford it.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 07:56:02 PM »

Well at least someone in the MoCo is looking at the future.  But knowing HD it will be an electric bike built on "old classic" technology that is leaps and bounds BEHIND everyone else. It will be over priced and targeted to buyers who cannot afford it.
Well said.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 08:43:51 AM »

This is not going to go well.  I can not go from my home to the dealer and back home on one charge.  The dealer doesn't have a charging station.  Im not all that rural.

So how will this work in KS for example, over 100 miles to next gas station.  How far to next charge??????
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 10:52:12 AM »

Looking forward to being amused by the MSRP posted on the box for the Screamin' Eagle Extension Cord.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 12:23:41 PM »

This is not going to go well.  I can not go from my home to the dealer and back home on one charge.  The dealer doesn't have a charging station.  Im not all that rural.

So how will this work in KS for example, over 100 miles to next gas station.  How far to next charge??????

I’m not concerned about that. When cars were invented the makers travelled by horseback or carriage. There were few to no paved roads you had to buy gas at the local hardware store. But technology caught up quickly and the “fad” of automobiles caught on. Now gas stations are on every corner and you can ride cross country on endless freeways.

With today’s engineering and technology the support will grow exponentially. Gas stations that wish to survive will adapt. Restaurants will offer more charging stations so folks can eat and charge. Will it be the perfection everyone sees?  No. With everything be problem free? No. Is clean energy really clean?  No. But it is improving. Just as we went from cars, points and drum brakes to efi, electronic ignition and abs brakes, we will go to this. If not for our unappreciative selves, then for our appreciative grand kids and great grand kids. We may not like it today, but it’s coming and we either adapt or pass on.

Just as we go to museums and see covered wagons, one day our great grand kids will go to museums and see our bikes and trucks. There will be TV shows featuring the “Barn Find” of a CVO Ultra, Ford Raptor, and Chevy Camaro SS.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SCHIMCVO19

• "WILD AND WONDERFUL WEST VIRGINIA"
    • WV

• CVO1: 2019 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 01:00:01 PM »

Even the thought is idiotic !! - Unless you are a city commuter.  And who buys an HD CVO to city commute  :nixweiss:

Electric vehicles are not helping the environment the least little bit, might even be worse at this point.

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY, 2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL!

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 01:01:34 PM »

Just as we go to museums and see covered wagons, one day our great grand kids will go to museums and see our bikes and trucks. There will be TV shows featuring the “Barn Find” of a CVO Ultra, Ford Raptor, and Chevy Camaro SS.
Have to disagree, the grand kids are going to go the Museum in rebuilt CVO's, Raptor's & Camreos because people will have realized by then that any more toxic waste dumps full of couple year old, not recyclable, fire prone, toxic mine site and more carbon emitting to produce EV's was a bad idea. Betting HD's future on electric after not even selling all the original Dudwires does'nt seem like a good business decision for a company that rides on its legacy.  I like the fact that if I so choose I can take my CVO to the grave with some maintenance, it's one of the reasons I purchased it in the first place.  That Dudwire will be in the museum before my CVO will & probably parked outside!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 01:03:58 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 10:25:47 PM »

This is a nothing burger. Not until alternative energy is advantageous over fossil fuels, it’s here to stay. Not until the military adopt an alternative energy thats eliminate fossil fuels, this is just smoke to make everyone feel good and to keep from being cancelled. That’s why Harley made the LiveWire.  The LiveWire was developed for appeasement not profit.

But, when the day comes, Harley will finally fix their lifter issue.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 07:22:55 AM »

I’m not concerned about that. When cars were invented the makers travelled by horseback or carriage. There were few to no paved roads you had to buy gas at the local hardware store. But technology caught up quickly and the “fad” of automobiles caught on. Now gas stations are on every corner and you can ride cross country on endless freeways.

With today’s engineering and technology the support will grow exponentially. Gas stations that wish to survive will adapt. Restaurants will offer more charging stations so folks can eat and charge. Will it be the perfection everyone sees?  No. With everything be problem free? No. Is clean energy really clean?  No. But it is improving. Just as we went from cars, points and drum brakes to efi, electronic ignition and abs brakes, we will go to this. If not for our unappreciative selves, then for our appreciative grand kids and great grand kids. We may not like it today, but it’s coming and we either adapt or pass on.

It can be the fastest growing technology there is.  It can not and will not replace the Internal Combustion Engine for a very long time if ever.  That states pushing Harder for Electric cars do not have the infrastructure to support electric cars.  CA, has asked people not to charge their cars during peak electricity usage times.  CA has had rolling black outs because they cant supply enough power.  2008 was the last power plant built in CA.  CA EPA keeps blocking them.

Several other States have had rolling black outs.  It's going to get worse as the Federal EPA is trying to shut all coal plants.  I agree with shutting coal, however they are not replacing most the plants they are trying to shut.  That leads to less available electricity.  They don't want natural gas plant, they don't want Nuke plants.  How we going to make enough electricity?

For travel they will not be practical for a long time.  Many places you go 100 miles between gas in MT, WY, ND, SD, KS, and NB.  Many towns out there have less then 100 people, I've been in sever with less than 20.  Will not be cost effect to put in a charging station.  Most the homes in these areas do not have residential service that can support a charging station.

I'm like electric cars.  I do not believe in 15 years or so we can go all electric like everyone is pushing. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 08:27:19 AM »

We are moving the pollutants to different places. At this point in ICE,s the average lawn emits more hydrocarbons in a year versus a new car. So the pollution shifts from the tailpipe to the power plant smoke stack. When we think electric vehicles remember the lithium has to be mined by earth mover's (more pollution) and transported from china on ships (more pollution), refined (more pollution), and disposed in dumps, (more pollution). Electric transportation s only a palliative. It will make some feel better but won’t fix anything.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 08:51:29 AM »

We are moving the pollutants to different places. At this point in ICE,s the average lawn emits more hydrocarbons in a year versus a new car. So the pollution shifts from the tailpipe to the power plant smoke stack. When we think electric vehicles remember the lithium has to be mined by earth mover's (more pollution) and transported from china on ships (more pollution), refined (more pollution), and disposed in dumps, (more pollution). Electric transportation s only a palliative. It will make some feel better but won’t fix anything.

Exactly, It like global zoning.
The wealthy countries are zoned emissions free
The poor countries are zoned Industrial like China, India, South America and Africa where all the emissions are overlooked.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 12:41:14 PM »

If I ever get an electric bike, I’ll put a trailer hitch on it.  Then I can pull a gas generator for peace of mind. 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 06:32:30 PM »

:vrolijk_5: :vrolijk_5: :vrolijk_5: :wall:
If I ever get an electric bike, I’ll put a trailer hitch on it.  Then I can pull a gas generator for peace of mind.
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023, 01:51:03 AM »

'

This news is not shocking now, but no doubt there will be many shocked riders when there are a lot of E-Rod Harleys on the road.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.