Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Problems Inside Primary  (Read 25794 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Problems Inside Primary
« on: April 07, 2007, 04:41:33 PM »

OK, I just got a call from the shop. He was changing the Primary Fluid. He pulled the magnetic plug and found a tooth from the Starter Ring Gear on the plug. Just under 500 miles! POS spring-loaded, banging compensator! WTF! Was trying to live with that awful banging at start up, but never liked it. Knew it would mess up eventually. Well it did already! Anyone aware of any solutions to the mess they created inside there besides just fixing it stock? My choice is to have it W.....ty'd and worked on by the dealer (not a fan), or find a bulletproof solution to it and fix it on my own. Can the spring-loaded compensator be removed and just tack-welded so it won't back off? Anyone with ideas/fixes for this? Thanks. Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 05:13:44 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: Problems Inse Primary
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:43:41 PM »

Ring gear or Starter drive?..I have no answers.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »

You just installed new handlebars. You KNOW that would void the warranty anyway. 
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Problems Inside Primary
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 04:49:23 PM »

Ring gear or Starter drive?..I have no answers.

A tooth from the starter ring gear I'm told. Hoist! 8)

FTW! I'm looking for the right fix. The W.....ty will only put it back the way it was, for it to happen again!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 05:13:57 PM by Hoist »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 04:59:45 PM »

This amazing part will fix the “grind” associated with starting bikes that have a solid or very rigid belt drive actuation. The engineered spring and ramped teeth help integrate the teeth before the unit locks in and turns. Stop grinding your teeth—and the bike's jackshaft all while producing smoother and quieter starts

http://www.ridinggearonline.com/bdl-starter-fix.html
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 05:06:31 PM »

This amazing part will fix the “grind” associated with starting bikes that have a solid or very rigid belt drive actuation. The engineered spring and ramped teeth help integrate the teeth before the unit locks in and turns. Stop grinding your teeth—and the bike's jackshaft all while producing smoother and quieter starts

http://www.ridinggearonline.com/bdl-starter-fix.html

Thanks Puzzled, but that kit describes a fix for a BDL Belt Drive starter pinion gear. Something like this would help engage the ring gear smoother. Do they make it for stock '07 chain primary drives? I'm also looking for a compensator fix. Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 05:14:12 PM by Hoist »

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 05:13:04 PM »

Yes it is described as a BDL fix (cause' they suck). My train of thought is to do some comparing. What makes it a BDL fix? Number of teeth? On that note it is nothing more (for sake of arguement) than a hopped up OEM unit with back cut teeth and a stronger spring so,.... why not back cut the teeth on an OEM unit like we were doing before this piece came out a couple of years ago. As for the spring I'd have to have an OEM one in my hand for measurement purposes and to check spring compression rate.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 05:18:06 PM »

Yes it is described as a BDL fix (cause' they suck). My train of thought is to do some comparing. What makes it a BDL fix? Number of teeth? On that note it is nothing more (for sake of arguement) than a hopped up OEM unit with back cut teeth and a stronger spring so,.... why not back cut the teeth on an OEM unit like we were doing before this piece came out a couple of years ago. As for the spring I'd have to have an OEM one in my hand for measurement purposes and to check spring compression rate.

I'm thinking more of like a conversion to pre '07, where you can use the GP Bearing support and lock thing in, or another modification of some type! I was hoping this has been addressed and a fix for it offered. Hoist! 8)

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 05:20:34 PM »

hoist, check out this bulletproof solution

EAGLE MOTOR COMPANY - EMC makes a comp-nut lock, that will eliminate any chance of it comming loose. check out their site nut lock
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 05:25:32 PM »

So did you have a starter ring gear problem or a compensating nut problem?
2023 CVO Road Glide

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 05:33:52 PM »

hoist, check out this bulletproof solution

EAGLE MOTOR COMPANY - EMC makes a comp-nut lock, that will eliminate any chance of it comming loose. check out their site nut lock

Thanks Eagle, That looks like it will eliminate that spring-loaded compensator, which I think contributed to the failure. That banging at start-up can't mean good things are happening! The failure broke teeth off the Starter Ring Gear and the Starter Jackshaft Pinion Gear! F'n wonderful! I'm checking into this, but I think I got enough damage to warrant the Dealer fixing it back to W.....ty first, and then worry about modifying it. I'll hope it lasts until winter and modify it when I do the cams, if it lasts that long! Need to know what fixes are available in the entire primary are and make the whole thing bulletproof! Hoist! 8)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 05:53:34 PM »

There was another post by a SE Dyna I believe that found many teeth missing when the fluid was changed.  I guess you need a magnetic drain pan to find the pieces.  This is turning into a real problem for me.  $30K and our new slogan is

"it's not the destination it's that you were lucky to actually make it there"

I never broke anything on my three previous HDs and never broke down. 

Good luck Hoist. 
Skremin
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 06:03:35 PM »

I just spoke to the head mechanic at my dealer (it's good to have his cell number). He filled me in on a few things. First, this is not uncommon with '07's and these starters. He's seen it before. He told me the whole primary must come apart and he'll see what HD will W.....ty. He's gonna try to get me everything, including a new starter. Well, if that's the case, it's chrome starter and chrome inner primary time with no labor! He flat out recommended against locking the compensator nut. He said this set-up needs the cushioning that this spring-loaded provides. He said it would bang harder without it. Looks like I'll be replacing the broken chit for now and see what develops. We'll keep an eye on it. I'm not liking this new Primary set-up right now! Bringing it in on Wed, after I pick up the bike from my friend's shop. Dealer will take everything apart and HD will make a determination as to what will be replaced. It's not totally the dealer's decision. Hopefully they'll authorize replacement of everything. Anything else in there I should be doing now?

Thanks Skremin, I've had good luck with my previous new ones also. I guess '07's the year for concerns. They changed a lot of things on these bikes. Probably cheaper for them to build 'em. Doesn't thrill me, but we'll have to find ways of improving their deficiencies! ;)

Hoist! 8)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 11:42:03 PM »

OK, I just got a call from the shop. He was changing the Primary Fluid. He pulled the magnetic plug and found a tooth from the Starter Ring Gear on the plug. Anyone aware of any solutions to the mess they created inside there besides just fixing it stock?Thanks. Hoist! 8)

The buzz around the water cooler is that a number of brittle ring gears with heat-treat issues made it into the field; one apparently found its way into your garage. I'll bet 50 cents that a stock replacement will take care of you.

djkak

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 01:28:13 AM »

The buzz around the water cooler is that a number of brittle ring gears with heat-treat issues made it into the field; one apparently found its way into your garage. I'll bet 50 cents that a stock replacement will take care of you.

djkak

Thanks dj. I can't shake that uneasy feeling about the design of this Primary set up. Can you explain more about this Primary set up on these '07's. That whole banging thing is creepy. I can't see how that's good! Are they trying to compensate (no pun) for a primary/statarting system originally designed for 50 HP now work with high HO/TQ motors? Can anything be done to make it stronger? I could use a good Technical Dump again! Thanks man. Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:59:01 AM by Hoist »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.