Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Problems Inside Primary  (Read 25790 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: Problems Inside Primary
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2007, 09:18:20 AM »

Guys,
I think there are more problems than the ring gear on all of the 07's. I was at Chicago Harley Davidson today and heard a brand new bike start with the happy new owner riding away. The starter sounded awful, the bike was kicking back when he initially cranked the engine and then died on the first try. Something is not right with that.
Mikey

The "BDL" fix was made for this sort of problem. You guys with the 110's are just now experiencing this however the hot rod bike crowd has been dealing with this for years. While I do not dispute the quality of the 07 ring gear I'd bet part of the problem is with the jack shaft. Than again what do I know. :nixweiss:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2007, 04:22:53 PM »

The "BDL" fix was made for this sort of problem. You guys with the 110's are just now experiencing this however the hot rod bike crowd has been dealing with this for years. While I do not dispute the quality of the 07 ring gear I'd bet part of the problem is with the jack shaft. Than again what do I know. :nixweiss:

Ring gear has heat treatment problems. The jackshaft is now part of the starter and has no known direct problems. No one makes any parts for inside the primary (except for the clutch itself) for '07's. We're stuck with the stock parts in there, when there's a fix, until the aftermarket catches up. >:( No King Kong Clutch, no regearing, nothing!!! :nixweiss: Keep an eye on this guys! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2007, 04:31:44 PM »

That stinks for the 07 guys.

Since it appears it is a known problem you can bet someone is working on an aftermarket fix. $$$$$ to be made.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2007, 06:06:09 PM »

Guys,
I think there are more problems than the ring gear on all of the 07's. I was at Chicago Harley Davidson today and heard a brand new bike start with the happy new owner riding away. The starter sounded awful, the bike was kicking back when he initially cranked the engine and then died on the first try. Something is not right with that.
Mikey

I aggree.  My 110 SERK starts "violently"  I attributed that to the ACR.  Somethings gonna break.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2007, 06:29:54 PM »

I aggree.  My 110 SERK starts "violently"  I attributed that to the ACR.  Somethings gonna break.

The ACR program has something to do with how bad the banging gets. The spring loaded compensator is what you hear banging. There are no parts to replace this with either. So we will watch and wait. Someone will come out with a fix. I'll put a damn belt drive on if this keeps causing problems. New open primary, Baker trans, starter and clutch. Who says we need their chit! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2007, 07:27:46 PM »

Nothing worse than having your brandnew ride in the shop with the good weather finally coming our way. Sorry to hear about your starter assembly blowing up, Hoist! So far, so good on my serk except for minor headaches with the gauges.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2007, 07:36:29 PM »

Nothing worse than having your brandnew ride in the shop with the good weather finally coming our way. Sorry to hear about your starter assembly blowing up, Hoist! So far, so good on my serk except for minor headaches with the gauges.

Hey kojak, how've you been. Glad to hear yours is holding up well! :2vrolijk_21: My bike was running fine when this happened. It still started fine too. But in the middle of the job was when it was determined that the part was backordered! So I just have to wait. Did you replace your speedo? I'm having issues with mine too. I hear they're making changes to them. I hope so. I'll wait for the new ones. Good to hear from you! Hoist! 8)

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2007, 07:49:52 PM »

Yeah, had them swap out the bad electronics. Same hassle, wait weeks for the parts to come in. Makes me appreciate my glide, 3 years and 20k miles and the thing is bulletproof. This pos has only 3k miles and been in the shop 3 times already for repairs.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2007, 06:31:19 PM »

Thanks dj. I can't shake that uneasy feeling about the design of this Primary set up. Can you explain more about this Primary set up on these '07's. That whole banging thing is creepy. I can't see how that's good! Are they trying to compensate (no pun) for a primary/statarting system originally designed for 50 HP now work with high HO/TQ motors? Can anything be done to make it stronger? I could use a good Technical Dump again! Thanks man. Hoist! 8)

Hoist,
The June 2007 edition of American Iron has a multi page tech article on the '07 primary and how it evolved and advantages/ disadvantages of the gearing, amount of teeth on sprockets, vs. Bakers, etc.  Reading it may shed some light as to why the teeth on the ring gear are now over stressed.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »

Hoist,
The June 2007 edition of American Iron has a multi page tech article on the '07 primary and how it evolved and advantages/ disadvantages of the gearing, amount of teeth on sprockets, vs. Bakers, etc.  Reading it may shed some light as to why the teeth on the ring gear are now over stressed.

Is it a true assessment or a "blow smoke up HD's asses" type review? I'll try to find it. Could you possiblt PDF it. My email's in my prifile if you can send it. Thanks for the info SE07. Hoist! 8)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2007, 08:18:33 PM »

Is it a true assessment or a "blow smoke up HD's asses" type review? I'll try to find it. Could you possiblt PDF it. My email's in my prifile if you can send it. Thanks for the info SE07. Hoist! 8)

I scanned each page (9) as JPEG.  It's readable.  I'll email it tonite.  It may take more than one email.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »

I scanned each page (9) as JPEG.  It's readable.  I'll email it tonite.  It may take more than one email.

Thank you very much. I'll digest it and see if I can use it to shed some additional light on issues we face in there for the '07s. :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2007, 10:09:15 PM »

HOIST,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I had this same issue last aug with my SERK. Although, no damage to the starter or jack shaft. The ring gear had two teeth broke off. And by the way, since the starter was "ok" they would not warranty it foe the chrome upgrade, but it ended up not being an issue since they were on back order at the time, anyway. I just hope that all the readers take notice of this problem and get their scoots in at first notice of grinding. And not to mention the problems with the fly wheel, mine was off 56 thousands, I have an appointment for the 1000 mile service in the a.m. since the complete engine replacement.

SOKOOL
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.