Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headlight lens...Help!!!  (Read 3670 times)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
Headlight lens...Help!!!
« on: March 08, 2005, 07:42:27 PM »

Hello,

I can build a damn motor but I can't get my headlight lens cover off!   [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Yes, I have a service manual but it's not helping.  Is there some trick?  I know I'm going to break it.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Also, it's an 04 and I'm getting water inside the cover when washing.  Anyone else have this problem?  Solution?  [smiley=furious.gif]

Thanks in advance!  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

mikeyp

• www.RAZR.com
Re: Headlight lens...Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 09:59:44 PM »

There are two slots that you can gently pry with a screwdriver to pop out the headlight lens cover.  Can't recall if they are both on the top/bottom or the sides.  I will look at mine later on tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Water in the lens cover is a common problem.  So is fogging in the 4 fairing mounted gauges.  I do not have any problem with water/fogging with the speedo or tach.  If there is a solution, I have never heard of one.

Mike
Ride Damnit.....Let's Ride!

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 10:05:46 PM »

DJW,

The lengthy and a lot of work way is to take the fairing off. The other way on my 03, which should not be much different that the 04, is to wrap the blade of a small slotted screwdriver with some cloth, then slide into the slots in the front of the fairing, gently force the tabs from thier slots. Do the bottom ones first when they are out gently pull down and away, the lens should come out.

You will always have water getiing onto the back of the lens when you wash or ride in the rain, eventually the heat of the lamps will dry the lens off. I would think the only way to keep water from getting behind the lens is to seal it off somehow, ie Silicone Seal etc., have never done this as the moisure behind the lens has never bothered me, plus may be to much heat build up in the headlight area, just a guess, I really do not know why HD made the fairung for the Road Glide the way they did, especially the mounting of the windshiel, should have had it like the EGs.

geezerglide

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:37:37 AM »

I can't seem to find the slots.... yeah funny  [smiley=laugh.gif]  Anyway, my dealer sells like 3 RG's a year (and they're probably one of the highest volume dealers in the country), apparently not real popular here... so the service techs don't have MUCH experience with em.  They can't recall another one leaking, but that's probably cause they just haven't seen enough.  Are you guys telling me this is something I just need to live with? An inherent design flaw?  They gave me extra little "gasket" pieces that fit around the lens, so that's why I need the lens off.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 04:15:07 PM »

DJW,

I was going to tell you, that the water leakage was something you were going to have to learn to live. Then you mention a "gasket" did not know one existed. Do you have a part number you can share with us.

Thanks,

geezerglide

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 05:36:27 PM »

geezer,

Apparently, all RG's have a black, thin (1/8" x 4"?) (what looks like what car dealers used to stick on door edges and charge u $300 for) on both "outer" sides of the lens... not top and bottom, only sides.  My dealer gave me a few "extras" to slip on top and see if there's an improvement.  I will get you the part number and a pic ASAP.  I either have the solution to EVERY RGs problem, or nothing at all!!!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Dave

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 08:40:31 PM »

Geezer & DJW

The best way that I have found to remove the headlight cover is to lay a rag on the front fender.  Place your thumbs at the top of the lens about 4 inches from each end.  Press firmly and push straight down.  It will come off without using tools.  As far as the gaskets--they are a joke and do not work--I threw mine away!  Once you learn this method to remove the lens, you won't need a gasket and you can remove it every time you wish.                                                                      

Otis
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

mikeyp

• www.RAZR.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 06:13:45 PM »

I look at my official Harley Davidson Service Manual of the 2001 SERG and the only option they offer is to remove the outer fairing.  I tried the "push down with thumbs" option listed here and it did not work for me.  I guess either my memory of using a screwdriver to pry it out was either a dream.....or at least something I will never do again.

Surprisingly, even though the lense always gets wet inside, it does stay clean once it dries.

Ride Damnit.....Let's Ride!

lugnut

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 07:17:40 PM »

Otis has it right. Used to have a FLTRSEI Red 2001. Taking the fairing off isn't going to do anything for you. Maybe to change the Blub but that it. Been there done that.

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 08:54:52 PM »

Use two pop cicle sticks. There are 2 tabs on top and two on the bottom. Use two sticks at the bottom and pry up and out the lens cover. you do not have to remove the fairing to get the cover off.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 08:55:57 PM by dakota »

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 09:54:10 PM »

I used a wash cloth wrapped around a thin long screw driver and pushed down and pryed out the lense from the top, about an inch in from the sides. The water leak is I think is yes, yet another shortcoming you have to live with. Unless you were willing to silicone around the lense!!!  Which would give your bike the ultimate redneck touch...

LOL!!!

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 08:18:58 AM »

Well... I was going to post the part number of the gaskets and photos.... I'm not going to waste anyone's time.... Juts made the leak worse.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

And inherent H-D design flaw.... go figure.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

[smiley=beerchug.gif]

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 08:52:54 AM »

RIGHT!!!  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

How silly of me  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 08:32:56 PM »

Update:  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I have managed to cover the entire circumference of the light cover with GENIUNE HARLEY-DAVIDSON gasket material... might I add, intended for that specific purpose.

Guess what??? IT STILL LEAKS!!!  [smiley=dunce2.gif]

I QUIT!  [smiley=furious.gif]

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.