Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: 1999 FXR2 Arresting Red~~> Handle Bar & Front PM Brake Caliper Modification  (Read 25411 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE

FXR2evo99...I've read through this post and I did not see (I can't see anyway) that you swapped out CLUTCH cable. Am I guessing right that you used your STOCK FXR2 CLUTCH cable or did I miss the info in your posts?

elvislee~

You are correct, there was no alteration required for any of the handlebar changes I went through.  The final handlebar (Flander's "Bad Boy") also does not require any alteration of the clutch cable. 

Also it should be noted that my buddy who installed the HD# 56085-83T [chrome version] handlebars on his FXR3 ALSO did not require changing the "length" of his stock clutch cable as well. 

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:03:16 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

I was a little concerned if the 31" was to wide but it is perfect.

I am telling you, lol, "if" you like the "looks" of the handlebars right now....just with them on your bike...wait until you actually "experience" the "function" of the handlebars.....ie: when taking a "sweeping" curve or a "tight" curve....that's when you will totally experience the "benefit" of the handlebars you have just put on now....it's a geometrical fact that there is a point where by adding more width creates more leverage which you will experience....and yet if you were to go to 34" - 36" wide bars (if someone would even make them, outside of "beach bars") you would find that they would be just too wide for your comfort thus the effect of diminishing returns....you will also notice that your hands are not hanging on to the grips like on "buck horns" where as with the one's you are installing right now your hands will be at an angle where they "rest" on the handle bar which of course in my "opinion" is an improvement as well.....and ultimately they even offer a "dramatic" improvement in the "appearance" and "stance" of the bike itself which is an entirely different "bonus" of sorts as well....Not always does "appearance" and "function" intersect to provide the best of both but in this case it does...

I am only able to answer the question of clutch cable length for an FXR2 which is HD# 38607-87A and is a total length of 62.69" inches.  The length from the cable adjuster to the clutch lever is 29.74" and the length from the clutch release cover to the clutch cable adjuster is 32.95".  It should also be noted that this is for a "black vinyl" clutch cable as well.  In order for me to figure this out I went to my 1999 FXR2 parts book, looked up the HD part #.  Then I pulled out a 2008 HD "Catalog" the big book [with all of the accessories for all of the bikes] and then looked up the part number in the back of the book and it referenced HD# 38607-87A as being on page 639. I went to page number 639 which was the clutch cable section for all of the bikes and referenced the length of the cables....what you have to be careful of here is if you decide you need a longer length whether or not the part number you wish to increase to is in "black vinyl" like the stock is or whether you wish to go to stainless steel for the covering.....also note that the HD stock number of HD# 38607-87A does not reference that it actually fits a 1999 FXR2, but it does...lol since that's the HD part number that's in my FXR2 part's book...So I would be careful matching up any cable that fits a 2000 - 2006 HD bike on to a "evo" styled bike....as I have "personally" not performed the research to see if the connections at the end points are the same for an evo as they are a twin cam....So if you find your "stock" HD part number in your part's book for your particular bike you should be able to see what the actual length is by doing the same cross reference procedure as I have done. Then of course decide if you need a longer length whether or not you can find such in black vinyl.  I have been told that the same manufactuerer that makes HD stock clutch cables is the same company that makes them for Drag Specialties so you can always check with Drag Specialties for a longer clutch cable if in fact HD does not reference one in their catalog for you....hopefully this is helpful.

Regards,

FXR2evo99

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

So, what's the story on this mod as far as the cables are concerned?  Can I use the stock cables on my FXR3?  No doubt the (freakishly long) clutch cable will work, but what about the brake line, throttle and idle cables and electricals?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

Hey, elvis, do you have the stock cables on your 4 then?  If so, seems like it would work.  Yes, I would like to go to the wider H-D "-83T" bar for comfort and handling, but don't want the expense of switching out cables on top of it if I can avoid.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Hey, elvis, do you have the stock cables on your 4 then?  If so, seems like it would work.  Yes, I would like to go to the wider H-D "-83T" bar for comfort and handling, but don't want the expense of switching out cables on top of it if I can avoid.  So, what's the story on this mod as far as the cables are concerned?  Can I use the stock cables on my FXR3?  No doubt the (freakishly long) clutch cable will work, but what about the brake line, throttle and idle cables and electricals?

103tHunDer~~~

If I might chime in here.....without being rude....I believe you are asking about your FXR3 and whether you need to change your oem throttle cable, idle cable, brake line, clutch cable, or electricals, if you desire to make the change from your stock handlebar over to the HD# ****-83T "chrome" handlebar right????

You are correct, no change is required for your brake line....the only reason to lengthen one's front brake line is if they are modifying from the OEM evo brake caliper over to a PM caliper.....well it's not the only reason but it's that reason that caused both my buddy and I to have to lengthen our front brake line cable.....but the brake line is sufficiently long enough to accomodate the width of the HD# 83T handlebar....(I know this because my buddy put this exact handlebar on his FXR3 and did not have to lengthen his front brake line UNTIL after we both decided to change our evo oem brake caliper over to a Performance Machine Brake Caliper which did require us both to lengthen our front brake lines) as for the clutch cable....you are also correct no length is required so continue with stock/oem.

The electricals ALSO do not need to be modified they will be fine. however.....I do believe the idle cable and the throttle cable both need to be modified...as noted with what I did above.  One way to confirm is to look at the oem stock numbers I listed above for my FXR2 and see if your oem stock part numbers for your throttle and idle cable are the same....Also I am not sure if the stock/oem part number for the handlebars for an FXR2 are the same exact part numbers for the FXR3 or whether the FXR3 starts out with a wider handlebar to begin with thus providing a different part number as well....

Hopefully this is helpful to you.

Also I would like to say THANK YOU many times to FXR2evo99 for his courtesy in allowing me to unintentionally hijack his thread.

elvislee~~~

You are using this thread for it's intended purpose.....so you have not "hyjacked" the thread....this is what I wanted to have happen to allow what I did for a modification to open the doors to others who might be contemplating it....so all you have done is "added" to the purpose of this thread.....which in my mind is GREAT!!!!  Just like 103tHunDer is also doing as well!!!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:05:29 PM by FXR2evo99 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

FXR2evo99,

Thanks, that does help clarify and yes, I am trying to understand what's required for this mod going from the stock FXR3 bar to the H-D part number you referenced.  I will have to sit down and digest this thread a little more thoroughly when I have some more time and have my parts manual in front of me.  You've given a lot of detail here, which is great, I was just looking for some quick answers, lol.

Thanks for all the info.!

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

elvislee....

You did great  :2vrolijk_21: explaining yourself....not that you need my endorsement....but anyway..... :nixweiss:
Here is a thought.....if you put black vinyl throttle and idle cables on you will spend "less" money....and they will "appear" just as "appropriate" as the braided stainless steel cables would.....over the years I have yet to have an indy mechanic state the "benefits" of putting "braided" cables on one's bike vs "black vinyl" covered oem cables as a point of reference speciifcally for the idle and throttle cables....How times change....for those running 2008 bikes this discussion isn't even being had because of "fly by wire"....lol....sometimes there is something to be said for "simple" is sometimes better....

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Blaine.....

Don't forget to look at Drag Specialties.....they are a good source for cables....I think the reason you need longer cables than us guys with the FXR2's and FXR3's is because you have that "riser" set up, am I correct?  So it obviously extends the length of the cables????.  Here's another thought....what about changing out the "risers" to the set up of an FXR2 or FXR3?  Perhaps not a "oem" look you are desiring of creating?

Handlebars are a "nitemare" lol....but when you get them right....it's all about "dancin" in the streets!!!!
 :orange:  :cucumber:   :pepper: 

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

That's right.....the FXR4 does have that wiring difference.....psssst if you do decide to go with the FXR2 risers....step over to the FXR3 risers because they are "chrome" the FXR2 risers are "polished" aluminum....

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

if you do decide to go with the FXR2 risers....step over to the FXR3 risers because they are "chrome" the FXR2 risers are "polished" aluminum....

Uh oh.  I may have another "upgrade" to do. ;D

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

"RED",

Here is another upgrade for you....as you know our buddy here elvislee is enjoying his brake pedal more than you or I with our FXR2's....yep.....everytime he pushes on his rear brake lever....he is "pushin" CHROME!!!!!!  \

look at that purrrrty chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So tell us elvislee....how is it feel to be "pushin" chrome on that there CHROME BRAKE PEDAL?

:pepper:

So "RED" when you decide to do this little upgrade let me know how it works out.....I might have to FOLLOW yah!!!!

Regards,

Tim
FXR2evo99

ps:  you know when you do find the right handlebars they CERTAINLY can make the riding experience totally different.....

As I have been working on the HISTORY OF THE FXR's I am dumbfounded by HD's logic to use BUCKHORN handlebars on these bikes originally....Think about it with a buckhorn handlebar....your hands are "hanging" on to the bars instead of resting on them....if one let's go of the "BUCKHORN" handlebar....their hand will fall down....if you let go of a "traditional" handlebar like what is on our FXR2's, FXR3's and FXR4's your hands will AT LEAST remain on the handlebar....which gives you simply another riding position just like when rotating one's feet around....

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:17:32 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

RedFXR2,

Here is another upgrade for you....as you know our buddy here elvislee is enjoying his brake pedal more than you or I with our FXR2's....yep.....everytime he pushes on his rear brake lever....he is "pushin" CHROME!!!!!!

Yeah, well, I'm still using Maas polish on my pedal.  Hey, it's almost chrome..... for a while. ;D

As I have been working on the HISTORY OF THE FXR's I am dumbfounded by HD's logic to use BUCKHORN handlebars on these bikes originally....if one let's go of the "BUCKHORN" handlebar....their hand will fall down....if you let go of a "traditional" handlebar like what is on our FXR2's, FXR3's and FXR4's your hands will AT LEAST remain on the handlebar....which gives you simply another riding position just like when rotating one's feet around....

I first saw buckhorn's on Sportsters back n the 1970's.  I thought they looked too cool for words, and obviously the guys who used them did. too.  I have to think it was another HD example of style over function.  Even now, sometimes I see a Sportster with them and it just looks so appropriate somehow, harkening back to the "bad old days".  But I would never have them, myself.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

Yep...I was stylin to the island...lookin and a cookin...sccotin and a pootin.... Had my chest out struttin and a cuttin, and pushin on the cushin...Hell yea!!! Keep your motor runnin, way out on the highway, lookin for adventure, and whatever comes my way :2vrolijk_21: Then I had to go back home and pick up the grandkids...LOL...

How'd I miss that! Funny guy Blaine! ;D ;D ;D :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

...Hell yea!!! Keep your motor runnin, way out on the highway, lookin for adventure, and whatever comes my way :2vrolijk_21: Then I had to go back home and pick up the grandkids...LOL...

I can relate to this stuff.  Very similar to myself, except I'm picking up the kids, not grandkids.

I've learned how to make a quick transition from "Then Came Bronson" to suburban Dad.  Only takes a minute. ;D

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:43:30 PM by RedFXR2 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.