Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Transmission Question  (Read 23609 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Transmission Question
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008, 11:47:45 AM »

Don,

This is for the complete trans:
http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0796.html

This gearset says no trans case modifications required:
http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0797.html

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 11:57:56 AM »

Well at least you have another bike you enjoy.

I don't envy you that is for sure, just off a great trip and then this.

It is obvious you will not solve anything untill you pull it apart. And the thought of taking it back to the dealer  :o

They may just look at it and say you need a whole trans.

Even if you only had two gears that failed I would be suspect of the whole gear train. In a car it is not that big of deal when the trans fails. As you found out it can be devastating with two wheels.

Duane, with all the debris that had already glopped out with the fluid or on a magnet I have no intention of rebuilding this gear set.  Too much crap went through too many places for me to put my rear on this gear set again over two wheels.  Even if it held together I'd expect it to be noisy.  And I'd still replace whatever was shelled, whatever was next to what shelled and every bearing.  So it's a gear set or a tranny.  As you say, it's less of an issue on a car.  Can actually do those easier in most cases.  And they don't fall over when they break.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »

Don,

This is for the complete trans:
http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0796.html

This gearset says no trans case modifications required:
http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0797.html

Hoist! 8)

Missed that entirely Howie.  Thanks pal :2vrolijk_21: .

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »

Jsut curious if you changed the fluid soon after the initial install?  I had my 6 sp installed by the dealer at delivery, and when I changed all my fluids at the 100 mile mark, the tranny had lots of metal shavings and fine metal sawdust in it. I assumed that the tech must not have cleaned up very well after the grinding. suprise, suprise. Just to be safe, I drained it again at the 500 mile mark, and it looked pretty normal then.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2008, 12:04:55 PM »

Missed that entirely Howie.  Thanks pal :2vrolijk_21: .

Ooops, read it more closely.  Original fitment info had read earlier appears correct after all.  No fitment for newer touring bikes.  Older, but not more current.  Would've been interested too...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2008, 12:10:41 PM »

Jsut curious if you changed the fluid soon after the initial install?  I had my 6 sp installed by the dealer at delivery, and when I changed all my fluids at the 100 mile mark, the tranny had lots of metal shavings and fine metal sawdust in it. I assumed that the tech must not have cleaned up very well after the grinding. suprise, suprise. Just to be safe, I drained it again at the 500 mile mark, and it looked pretty normal then.

After the original install some 20k miles ago the gear oil was drained after I rode it home.  Again at 2500 and normal service intervals after that.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2008, 12:13:41 PM »

Ooops, read it more closely.  Original fitment info had read earlier appears correct after all.  No fitment for newer touring bikes.  Older, but not more current.  Would've been interested too...

Sorry, didn't notice that Don. But the replacement Rev Tech gearset looks like it has potential. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »

Sorry, didn't notice that Don. But the replacement Rev Tech gearset looks like it has potential. ;)

Hoist! 8)

It truly does.  Entirely in the FWIW department I know of two of them in service and have gotten to ride one before.  At least that one is not a noisy gear set.  About like the HD set was.  The two I know of have both been in service 12-15k.  It's not a lifetime.  They are both behind only 88s.  But it's at least something to go on.  A dealer for them up close to St. Louis has very fair prices too.  He's checking now to see if they'll play with hydraulic clutch.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2008, 12:34:06 PM »

It truly does.  Entirely in the FWIW department I know of two of them in service and have gotten to ride one before.  At least that one is not a noisy gear set.  About like the HD set was.  The two I know of have both been in service 12-15k.  It's not a lifetime.  They are both behind only 88s.  But it's at least something to go on.  A dealer for them up close to St. Louis has very fair prices too.  He's checking now to see if they'll play with hydraulic clutch.

I'm using it with my Rev Tech 110 Evo, so it better hold up to bigger motors! ;)

Hoist! 8)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2008, 12:46:18 PM »

Don

I can get a down and dirty price on that stuff.
That's why I offered you the spare 6 speed that's sitting in the garage. (new in the box)
So before you pull the trigger on any transmission parts, get me a part # and let me see what I can do.
As always, shipping is free.

:2vrolijk_21:

Damn, I gotta build a bigger garage to store all this stuff.

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2008, 01:32:03 PM »

Don,

You may want to call Lloyd before you go the Revtech route...The only thing I'll install is the SE Gear Set. After LLoyd did mine it is so sweet>>>>Greg 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2008, 04:35:55 PM »

Don,

You may want to call Lloyd before you go the Revtech route...The only thing I'll install is the SE Gear Set. After LLoyd did mine it is so sweet>>>>Greg 

Greg, I was at least considering the Revtech or Ultima gear sets initially for their price comparison.  Wouldn't have pulled the trigger until I knew more.  But was willing to scope out the possibilities.  Turns out there are relatively few though.

Spoke this afternoon with someone I'd been directed to at Jim's.  He'd "been there and done that" with all of the more common parts sets and said he'd worked previously at Baker so had much hands on experience both ways.  He said also what I'd been told previously.  That the material removal necessary for the HD branded gear set locks you in to that gear set within the case.  At least this time got a more specific explanation as to why.  Was told the HD told requires removal of casting that is a support for a fork.  It is support that all the others still use.

This leaves two options.  HD gear set or Baker complete transmission.  With the exception of the HD-Se unit no one else produces a complete tranny assembly.

hogasm

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »

Don on the reason why part....on the SE gear sets the gears are held into place with a 2 piece clip. This has been the downfall of many a SE gear set.

Just tore into one on Wed where this happened.

Good luck with your project.....and keep us informed............like you wouldn't do that anyway :2vrolijk_21:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2008, 05:18:36 PM »

Don on the reason why part....on the SE gear sets the gears are held into place with a 2 piece clip. This has been the downfall of many a SE gear set.

Just tore into one on Wed where this happened.

Good luck with your project.....and keep us informed............like you wouldn't do that anyway :2vrolijk_21:
Is that also the case with the new 6-speed cruise drive tranny introduced on '07 models ('06 for dyna)?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2008, 11:06:04 PM »

Have had a couple of questions wondering more specifically about what clearancing is required to install the SE 6 speed gear set which keeps others from working.  Just checked my notes from phone conversations during the day.  Was told the same thing by someone at Jim's and someone at Baker. 

I've never had a reason to be inside of one of these little gear boxes before.  So simply relying on what I'm being told at this point.  The change that is supposed to make the case no longer a donor for the installation of other gear sets is the complete amputation of the right fork rod boss.  Apparently that's a support that the other gear sets require but which is removed for installation of the HD SE six speed gear set.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.