Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Transmission Gear Set With Surprising Damage  (Read 31099 times)

hogasm

Re: Transmission Gear Set With Surprising Damage
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 09:20:36 PM »

Were the needle bearings the problem ?

Have had the bearing go bad once

shifter drum

one that we think was a clip that gave up.......looked like Don's, but still had not quit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Transmission Gear Set Scarier Then Roseanne Barr
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »

Is this the bearing that first came apart ? If there any needles left are they blue or the race they ride on blue.
Were you running the 140w thick hypoid oil ?

David, best guess is that bearing had to be the sudden failure.  No needles left there either.  Needles were everywhere actually.  Though the needles themselves weren't blued.  No signs of excessive heat there at all.  It was the Redline heavy shockproof.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2008, 09:59:59 PM »

I have the same 6 speed as you and the same type of deal, a winter special at the Springfield dealer, so if you ever figure out what happened I would be interested in the cause. Also curious how much this will cost you after you're done. :confused5:

2E, scored a complete and still sealed new gear set on eBay for $1330.  That, a primary gasket and a quart of gear oil would have been the only expense were it not for having to buy some tools.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2008, 10:01:15 PM »

Don,

I read the thread about the tranny giving out after York. That some bad Chit man.
My take on what had happen, could mean some or not at all.
I think your gear set went through a extreme heat metal fatigue situation. Probably one of the gears started to shed away some it's apexes and it cascaded into foreign material circulating around to take out other gears. Being all were running in the same temperature environment, that would not be hard to do. Another contributing factor could be that the specs on the material used for the gears couldn't meet the temperature requirements.
Just my 02.  :nervous:

George, I'm willing to believe every bit of it.  Also, the damn thing broke ??? !

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2008, 10:02:50 PM »

Have had the bearing go bad once

shifter drum

one that we think was a clip that gave up.......looked like Don's, but still had not quit

Hey Brian, not locking up would've been a lot better :huepfenlol2: !

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2008, 10:03:12 PM »

Well big B I really dont want to get your panties into a wad.......BUT.......my DD6, which by the way was installed by Baker himself.....has been into 3 times for 3 different problems.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  a big fan

guess the only saving grace is that when problems have occurred.....it did not lock up

Brian
        It's the fish scales dude. They'll ruin anything. You really should clean your hands when going from the boat to the bike  :D :D :D :D :D :D

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »

A bit of summary to date.  Have thoroughly appreciated everyone's insights and ideas.  No advice is ever unappreciate even if circumstances might make it unheeded at the time.  Talked to Spiderman briefly just this afternoon about just that.  Others have called to chat on it in the few days prior.  Especially since I'd never had an excuse to crawl inside one of these little gear boxes before it is all appreciated.  No panties wadded over any suggestions from anyone.  Don't give it a second thought.  Because it's all good :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »

Brian
        It's the fish scales dude. They'll ruin anything. You really should clean your hands when going from the boat to the bike  :D :D :D :D :D :D

B B

Damn, I was guess Tuna fish oil in the gear box  ??? !  Low cholesterol but bad for the gears :huepfenlol2: !

hogasm

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2008, 10:22:10 PM »

Brian
        It's the fish scales dude. They'll ruin anything. You really should clean your hands when going from the boat to the bike  :D :D :D :D :D :D

B B

It has been so long since I have been on the boat it is hard to remember.

After next weekend though it will be a different story. Need to burn massive amounts of that cheap fuel I have in the tanks and replace it with the new high dollar fuel. It has to catch more fish...as much as it costs :2vrolijk_21:

hogasm

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2008, 10:23:59 PM »

Damn, I was guess Tuna fish oil in the gear box  ??? !  Low cholesterol but bad for the gears :huepfenlol2: !

No just that cheap 90w140 Amsoil since day 1

Maybe I need to try that new tuna fish oil....can't be any worse :coolblue:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »

It has been so long since I have been on the boat it is hard to remember.

After next weekend though it will be a different story. Need to burn massive amounts of that cheap fuel I have in the tanks and replace it with the new high dollar fuel. It has to catch more fish...as much as it costs :2vrolijk_21:

Wow, that's the same logic I used when I figured that buying all the tranny tools would only cost half as much because I could use them on two transmissions....  ???

vagabond6542

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »

No just that cheap 90w140 Amsoil since day 1

Maybe I need to try that new tuna fish oil....can't be any worse :coolblue:

Please tell me where to buy that gear lube. I thought tuna fish oil was cheaper. :huepfenlol2:

MOBlue

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »

2E, scored a complete and still sealed new gear set on eBay for $1330.  That, a primary gasket and a quart of gear oil would have been the only expense were it not for having to buy some tools.

OUCH :(

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »

A bit of summary to date.  Have thoroughly appreciated everyone's insights and ideas.  No advice is ever unappreciate even if circumstances might make it unheeded at the time.  Talked to Spiderman briefly just this afternoon about just that.  Others have called to chat on it in the few days prior.  Especially since I'd never had an excuse to crawl inside one of these little gear boxes before it is all appreciated.  No panties wadded over any suggestions from anyone.  Don't give it a second thought.  Because it's all good :2vrolijk_21: .

If there's a fly in the ointment in any discussion of one gear set over another is that the manufacturers do not publish any specs on how much stress you can reasonably apply to their product. I've noticed clutch ads where they state something along the lines of " will hold up to 150ftlbs of Torque " I have to believe that not all gearboxes are created equal in terms of strength. Also bearings have varying crush limits etc. I've got 14k on the 6 speed H-D Cruise glide in my Road glide and 2/3rds of it have been with a motor pumping out 108ftlbs of TQ. Other than the fact that it shifts incredibly noisy, I have no complaints. BUT, I look at the thickness of the trap door and wonder at what point it is going to tweak ever so slightly and then the countershaft will try to climb over the main shaft as did the older Evo trannnies when we pumped up the motors. Time will tell I expect and for sure it won't break until the two year factory warranty expires October 1st. At that point, spending my own money it will be interesting to see if I heed my own advice or what happens. As I told Don, the view from the cheap seats is always just that- - - - cheap. It's easy to call the shots when spending someone else's money. In any event, it will be good to read Don post that his Cherry Bomb is back together again and running fine. In the meanwhile, having to ride that 00 SERG can't be all bad.  ;)

B B

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »

Don,

Extremely glad to hear that you weren't injured due to the tranny failure. I've seen alot of unexplainable things happen in 24+ years of wrenching on cars and trucks. Sometimes, minor fatigue caused by normal wear gets exaggerated by circumstance. Just glad you were able to get it back together at a minimal cost, as $3400.00 is outrageous for a bike tranny! Here's hoping (and knowing) that you'll have numerous years and miles on a now trouble free tranny built by hands that really care-YOURS!

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.