Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Transmission Gear Set With Surprising Damage  (Read 31177 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Transmission Gear Set With Surprising Damage
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2008, 11:50:49 PM »

It's true Spyder.  She brought out the :whip: .  But then she remembered that he liked it so she stopped.
I told that woman not to tell you about that. :-[ :P

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »

At least partially exposed area that would annoy the major ph*k out of me.

The other bike is here and fine.  I don't have to rush anything.  I keep telling myself that.

I'm surprised you didn't save the old plate - have to be able to sell it on eBay!
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »

I'm surprised you didn't save the old plate - have to be able to sell it on eBay!

Certainly wish I would have now.  At the time, however, it was simply part of an extrememly trashed assembly that still occasionally dripped grease and was in the way on the garage floor no matter where it got moved.  So it went in the bin.

The bearings were bad.  The door itself would have been the only thing from the old parts set that was usable.  In my mind it was all just a "bad parts set."  I screwed up.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2008, 12:00:53 AM »

I told that woman not to tell you about that. :-[ :P

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

:oops:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2008, 12:26:05 AM »

I screwed up.
well......how 'bout that.  TwoLaneRider & Boone Pickens both admitting screwing up on the same day.  :P har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2008, 12:32:24 AM »

well......how 'bout that.  TwoLaneRider & Boone Pickens both admitting screwing up on the same day.  :P har!  spyder

It's happened before.  It'll happen again.  Never been bashful about screw ups.

vagabond6542

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2008, 05:05:57 PM »

vroom, vroom  :bananarock: :drink:

She's together and rolling, Huh. :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »

Almost a year later I would like to ditto Don's comment about George's Garage.

Top shelf tools and customer service.
And when you call you almost always talk tot George. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

A couple of cudo before I go to bed and forget them also.  The first is actually to Harley.  No chit.

We're all used to the various accessory parts, kits or bits that are by no means task complete.  Things you get home and, if you hadn't yet been conditioned to check first, would have you returning to the dealership to get pieces necessary to the task that weren't with the package (logic notwithstanding).

This transmission "Super Kit" appears to be pretty damned complete.  After seeing how ugly this was combined with being unfamiliar with the bowels of this gear box I checked the parts list and breakdown closely.  Unless I'm missing something this really is a complete kit.  All the way down to snap rings and o-rings.  The only thing one might get separately is one of those significantly over priced outer primary gaskets Harley is so proud of.  Aside from that it looks to be all inclusive.

The other good word is to a vendor I'd not used before.  George from George's Garage at http://www.georges-garage.com .  Appears to be only a specialty tool vendor.  Had heard good things about him prior and went there for tools I'd not had reason to need before.

Called him Monday.  George himself answered the phone.  Told him I was replacing a tranny gear set and asked him to send whatever tools were required to the task.  He responded saying there were a couple of tranny tools I'd not need.  He said what they were.  Explained why they wouldn't be needed (a shaft seal installer, for example, because the gear set comes with the seal already installed).  So he could've easily sold me more than I needed.  He mailed the pieces I did get the same day.  They got here Thursday.  And they are pretty tools.

I appreciate nice machine work and effective form and function.  These are all those things.  And George was a heluva nice guy to talk to too.  Now just hope I figure out how to use the rest of them putting all this mess back together tomorrow or Tuesday....  ???

MV 2013

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2009, 08:31:19 PM »

2Lane,

This may be a little late to weigh in on this aging topic, but what the hell. A gearbox is a gearbox is a gearbox until you run into one with specific lubrication requirements. Most motorcycle transmissions are lubricated with engine oil. This works well in medium to high speed applications running indirectly lubricated needle bearings. My sense is that the bearing manufacturer has the last word on the lubrication requirements for this transmission.

From this end of the ether it’s hard to say precisely what caused the transmission to meltdown. I will say that I prefer a lightweight lubricant in a needle bearing equipped gearbox like this one.

Other than that, I’m thinking that those gears would make great limited edition CVO medallions. Just run a chain through the center and wear them around your neck. Now there is a gift for your favorite gear head! :)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2009, 12:57:09 AM »

2Lane,

This may be a little late to weigh in on this aging topic, but what the hell.

DJ, I tore it on down before trashing it all.  Like you say it was so far gone there was just no way to know for sure what the initial point of failure was.  Interestingly, however, is that during all the work I did with it I always thought the most likely initial failure was the bearing in that photo you selected. 

It was bad everywhere.  It was worst immediately surrounding this point.  It doesn't show up in the low res photos but there was also some interesting galling under that ruined cage.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2009, 09:16:11 AM »

Piqued my interest there Don.

Went back and looked at my pics

If you all recall, I am using red Line shockproof and at this tear down the bike had been sitting for a bit more then 4 months.

I would have to think that the bearings are getting an oil bath - even if it is 90w.

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »

Piqued my interest there Don.

I would have to think that the bearings are getting an oil bath - even if it is 90w.

Agree completely Duane.  I never doubted the oil.  Just had one of those rare cases where "something broke."  Doesn't happen often in a gear box.  Especially like that.  But anything can break at any time.  Oil choice was fine though.  It's still used in the gear box after all.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »

Agree completely Duane.  I never doubted the oil.  Just had one of those rare cases where "something broke."  Doesn't happen often in a gear box.  Especially like that.  But anything can break at any time.  Oil choice was fine though.  It's still used in the gear box after all.
Without know what the initial cause of the breakage was though, you can't rule out the oil as with other things......can you?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »

Without know what the initial cause of the breakage was though, you can't rule out the oil as with other things......can you?  spyder

Can't rule anything out.  Starship Enterprise might have slingshot around the sun gaining so much speed it came back in time, orbited once, beamed mutant metal munching space ninjas in to the gear box and then headed back out of orbit off to visit the pleasure palaces of the 7th Nebula of Xanadu.  Might have.  But I don't think that was it either ::) .

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »

The failed needle bearing in this transmission is isolated and shielded from lubrication by other transmission components. In this specific application the failed bearing is easily the last part requiring significant lubrication to get it. Consider the ability of a heavy lubricant to penetrate the obstacles, flush, cool, lubricate and evacuate from this location. Lower ambient temps also inhibit the flow of heavier lubricants and may contribute to a failure.

Just food for thought; this isn’t a question of quality, but one of application. I am suggesting that the recommended application of a specific lubricant in one gearbox may be inappropriate in another. JMHO

For the folks that haven’t had one of these apart, this digital photo helps to augment the word picture. Good luck and look out for those troublesome mutant metal munching space ninjas!  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:12:16 PM by djkak »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 22 queries.