Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: As race wanes, talk of Clinton as VP grows  (Read 2737 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: As race wanes, talk of Clinton as VP grows
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 08:28:01 AM »

What if they hold an election, and the voters all stay home? 

I can't see the American public ever becoming single minded enough to pull off another tea party, but if you combine those who are just too lazy to vote with those who have become fed up with the current crop of liars & thieves politicians, I can see eventually reaching the point where the only votes would be cast by the participants themselves.  How does the electoral college handle that one?  I know, let's have the Supreme Court decide, since they did such a fine job last time. 
 :end:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 09:08:07 AM »

Plus, Obamamorons know that he plans on having FIFTY-SEVEN states voting for him. No clarification yet but Barack counted 57 to run in.

McCain is only running in 50.

My how the media treats their darling Obama so differently than they treated others in the past for mis-speaks......
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »

How about we throw all three of 'em in a blender and make a useless political shake? I wish Clint Eastwood would run..." I know what you're thinking, was it five bombs, or was it six? Seeing's how we're tired of you terrorists, and I have a whole lot more bombs, you should be asking yourself one question...you feelin' lucky punk? Well, are ya'?" A terrorist has got to know his limitations. Can we just write him in? Is there a "none of the above" category? Can we re-animate Nixon? Is it farther to Chicago, or by bus? Sorry, sampling some of those runes and mushrooms Twolane was referring to...back to the beer thread...hic!

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

never mind...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »

Plus, Obamamorons know that he plans on having FIFTY-SEVEN states voting for him. No clarification yet but Barack counted 57 to run in.

McCain is only running in 50.

My how the media treats their darling Obama so differently than they treated others in the past for mis-speaks......

Anderson Cooper did a piece on BHO last night. Seems he won his first political contest by having a bunch of lawyers get the other two candidates names removed from the ballot by having their election signature petitions disallowed. Perfectly legal, but the way it was handled at the 11th hour and in relative quiet, the other two candidates basically had no chance to regroup. It wouldn't surprise me if he's found some loophole in election law somewhere that allows him to count Puerto Rico, Guam and American Samoa. Hell they had primary elections in Puerto Rico. Last time I looked, PR wasn't a state. This guy may pull a bunch of legal BS that'll make Bush's bogus win in 2000 look like kindergarten law school. Also as I said previously and as Twolane noted, bet the farm he will have a female Veep and it won't be HRC.

B B

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 03:54:36 PM »

Many good points Twolanerider and you are right; without a strong grounded campaign with plenty of boots on the ground, McCain does have a hard row to hoe. He also has the task of beating away the curse of George Bush. The Dems have been and will continue to link McCain to Bush who as we know is not in good graces with the American public right now and that strategy by the Dem's will likely do them well but how well is still to be seen. With that said, ObamaBinOsama has what I see as what might be the most important decision of his campaign to this point and which gets us back to the original topic...Should he pick Hillary as VP?...I say he takes a huge step forward to the Whitehouse by selecting her and he might ought to take a page from the JFK playbook as noted by Spiderman because I don't believe Hillary's supporters are going with him without her...buy hey, Ive been wrong many times before...JMHO

As mentioned, Johnson and the Kennedys hated each other, especially RFK who din't trust LBJ.  And then what happened, JFK was killed and LBJ was president.  LBJ had to have had knowledge of the assasination in his home state and also, he dealed the autopsy reports for 75 years.  Why?
If I was Obama, I wouldn't turn my back on the VP (Vicious Person).
Maybe Nancy Pelosi? 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 04:27:25 PM »

Lest we get too far out into the weeds fishing for big mouth conservatives, be reminded that John McCain has never had the full power of the RNC behind him. He is the party's nominee this time and for better or worse, all the big guns in the GOP are on his side. Like I said, Obamasama even with Chelsea's Moma don't have a chance. Maybe Hillary with Obamasama in the VP slot would have given McCain a run for his money, but the fact is while people want change, most have an idea what Obamasama means when he says that. I'm sure a lot of his black supporters probably belive they're gonna get reparation checks from the reactions in the background to Rev Wright's speaches and the idiot the other day. The land of milk and honey is on it's way brothers and sisters. Sorry, that's awfully cynical, but you know in your heart there are a lot of folks who think that way. So even with a moderately reasonable social agend, the question on everyone's mind is " how's he gonna pay for it ? "  Whether he understands it or not, the military/industrial complex in this country is so entrenched and so powerful that he's not gonna pay for his social agenda with defense dollars. And he sure as hell ain't gonna cut social programs to pay for other social programs. Sooooooo that leaves us with raising taxes. With gas headed to $5 / gallon and everything else in the country following suit, even left wing tree huggin liberal Reagan Republicans like me can't afford to have their taxes raised. Which brings us back to John McCain. With a few tweaks, his first term is gonna be to basically pick up what's left from the Bush train wreck of the past 8 years, hope he can convince people that it's all GWB's fault (which it is) and then maybe get a chance to do something in a 2nd term. Of course Hillary will be winding up her 2012 campaign getting soundbites at every turn as McCain fails to make any real impact on the economy or the War in Iraq. So 4 years from now, we'll be at this same juncture, the only difference being Obamasama will have been consigned to the DNC scrapheap along with Al Gore, John Kerry, John Edwards and Joe Biden. Ted Kennedy will of course be dead and buried and the righteous right will have to find another leftist devil to preach hell fire and brimstone against.

B B
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:34:18 PM by SPIDERMAN »

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 06:33:28 PM »

As mentioned, Johnson and the Kennedys hated each other, especially RFK who din't trust LBJ.  And then what happened, JFK was killed and LBJ was president.  LBJ had to have had knowledge of the assasination in his home state and also, he dealed the autopsy reports for 75 years.  Why?
If I was Obama, I wouldn't turn my back on the VP (Vicious Person).
Maybe Nancy Pelosi? 

Which is exactly why she mentioned it by mistake the other day. If Obamasama put her on his ticket, he'd end up with Vince Foster in some park in Washington.

SPIDERMAN

TH
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »

Which is exactly why she mentioned it by mistake the other day. If Obamasama put her on his ticket, he'd end up with Vince Foster in some park in Washington.

My guess would be they'd make it look like Al Queda did it. Maybe even a dirty bomb

B B

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »

Today Tuesday....

WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton told colleagues Tuesday she would consider joining Barack Obama as his running mate, and advisers said she was withholding a formal departure from the race partly to use her remaining leverage to press for a spot on the ticket.

On a conference call with other New York lawmakers, Clinton, a New York senator, said she was willing to become Obama's vice presidential nominee if it would help Democrats win the White House, according to a participant who spoke on condition of anonymity because this person was not authorized to speak for Clinton.

Clinton's remarks came in response to a question from Democratic Rep. Nydia Velazquez, who said she believed the best way for Obama to win key voting blocs, including Hispanics, would be for him to choose Clinton as his running mate.

"I am open to it," Clinton replied, if it would help the party's prospects in November.

Clinton also told colleagues the delegate math was not there for her to overtake Obama, but that she wanted to take time to determine how to leave the race in a way that would best help Democrats.

"I deserve some time to get this right," she said, even as the other lawmakers forcefully argued for her to press Obama to choose her as his running mate.

Joseph Crowley, a Queens Democrat who participated in the call, said her answer "left open the possibility that she would do anything that she can to contribute toward a Democratic victory in November. There was no hedging on that. Whatever she can do to contribute, she was willing to do."

Another person on the call, Rep. Jose Serrano of New York City, said her answer was "just what I was hoping to hear. ... Of course she was interested in being president, but she's just as interested in making sure Democrats get elected in November."

Rep. Charles Rangel, a devoted booster of Clinton who helped pave the way for her successful Senate campaign, said he spoke to her Tuesday and got much the same answer.

"She's run a great campaign and even though she'll be a great senator, she has a lot of followers that obviously Obama doesn't have, and clearly the numbers are against her and so I think they bring all parts of the Democratic Party together and then some," Rangel said.

Aides to the Illinois senator said he and Clinton had not spoken about the prospects of her joining the ticket.

Obama effectively sewed up the 2,118 delegates needed to win the nomination Tuesday, based on a tally of pledged delegates, superdelegates who have declared their preference, and another 18 superdelegates who have confirmed their intentions to The Associated Press. It also included five delegates Obama was guaranteed as long as he gained 15 percent of the vote in South Dakota and Montana later in the day.

Word of Clinton's vice presidential musings came as she prepared to deliver a televised address to supporters on the final night of the epic primary season. She was working out final details of the speech at her Chappaqua, N.Y., home with her husband, former President Bill Clinton, their daughter Chelsea, and close aides.

Earlier, on NBC's "Today Show," Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe said that once Obama gets the majority of convention delegates, "I think Hillary Clinton will congratulate him and call him the nominee."

Clinton will pledge to continue to speak out on issues like health care. But for all intents and purposes, two senior officials said, her campaign is over.

Most campaign staff will be let go and will be paid through June 15, said the officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to divulge her plans.

The advisers said Clinton has made a strategic decision to not formally end her campaign, giving her leverage to negotiate with Obama on various matters including a possible vice presidential nomination for her. She also wants to press him on issues he should focus on in the fall, such as health care.

Universal health care, Clinton's signature issue as first lady in the 1990s, was a point of dispute between Obama and the New York senator during their epic nomination fight.

In a formal statement, the campaign made clear the limits of how far she would go in Tuesday night's speech. "Senator Clinton will not concede the nomination," the statement said.

Clinton field hands who worked in key battlegrounds said they were told to stand down, without pay, and await instructions. Speaking not for attribution because they didn't want to jeopardize their jobs searches, many said they were peddling resumes, returning to their hometowns or seeking out former employers.

Clinton officials have said they would not contest the seating of Michigan delegates at the convention in Denver this August. The campaign was angry this past weekend when a Democratic National Committee panel awarded Obama delegates it thought Clinton deserved
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.