Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '09 Amplifier relocation  (Read 3945 times)

BUCKEYE

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
'09 Amplifier relocation
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:16:32 AM »

I did a search on this topic and found a few items, but was wondering if anyone has had success relocating the stock amplifier anywhere other than in the saddlebags to make the tour-pak detachable, or is the best bet to go with an aftermarket amp that is prepped to install within the fairing. '09 silver / twilight blue coming in a month and this is the first thing on the list to complete. Dealer didn't know if removing the tour-pak would interfere with the new security items (auto locking bags when security is engaged) or not. Thanks.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: '09 Amplifier relocation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:14:38 PM »

As big as the OE amp is, you don't really have any good options.  You either eliminate the amp or go with an after-market that is much smaller and better.  Most folks here are going with the Hawg Wired stuff.

electra88

• LUV 2 RIDE!
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:17:25 PM »

I finally made my tour pack detactchable last week.  I removed the amp and harness completeley.  I am now considering the hawg wired set up with amp in fairing.   Big $$$ though.
2011 Suzuki Vstrom 650 ABS
2010 Ducati Multistrada S Sport/Touring
2008 Suzuki BKING
2006 CVO ULTRA AUTUM HAZE (traded in)

BUCKEYE

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:17:35 PM »

I looked into hawg-wired and spoke to them regarding which amp is the correct choice. Also talked to Biketronics. They have two different amps that will work. Their high end unit is around $500.00. I put one of their sony systems in my '05 SEEG. They were good people to deal with. Is it possible to take the amp out of the system and wire the speakers direct into the radio unit and upgrade the speakers?

Tom149

• 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate, 107CI
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate
    • CVO2: Non-CVO 98' Fatboy 95th Anniversary Edition - Wife's Ride
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:04:22 AM »

Buckeye,

You can remove the amp from under the tour pak and the overlay harness completely and use the HK radio to power all four speakers just like a stock Ultra Classic. There will be a volume reduction, but you can then replace all four stock speakers with any 2 ohm aftermarket speakers and you will see an improvement in the sound of your system. Hawg-Wired makes an SX series 2 ohm replacement for the front fairing and they are about to release an RX 2 ohm series that will fit in the tour pak.

Tom149
Tom

electra88

• LUV 2 RIDE!
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 11:40:57 PM »

how much of a differen e would there be stock speakers to hawg wired with no amp
2011 Suzuki Vstrom 650 ABS
2010 Ducati Multistrada S Sport/Touring
2008 Suzuki BKING
2006 CVO ULTRA AUTUM HAZE (traded in)

Tom149

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:23:07 AM »

Electra,

Using the 2 ohm SX series speakers in the front fairing and the 2 ohm RX series (when available) in the tour pak should be a considerable upgrade in sound quality when run off of the HK stock radio. The only drawback, as I see it, is that if you decide on the Hawg Wired Amp System later, you can no longer use the 2 ohm speakers as the hawg Wired Amps require 4 ohm speakers. So if you think you are heading in the Hawg Wired Amp direction you may want to wait and buy the entire system at once avoiding spending money on just the speakers now and having to replace them later.

Tom149
Tom

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »

Electra,

Using the 2 ohm SX series speakers in the front fairing and the 2 ohm RX series (when available) in the tour pak should be a considerable upgrade in sound quality when run off of the HK stock radio. The only drawback, as I see it, is that if you decide on the Hawg Wired Amp System later, you can no longer use the 2 ohm speakers as the hawg Wired Amps require 4 ohm speakers. So if you think you are heading in the Hawg Wired Amp direction you may want to wait and buy the entire system at once avoiding spending money on just the speakers now and having to replace them later.

Tom149

Thats some good info Tom, Thanks!

Rob

Tom149

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 06:35:10 PM »

My Pleasure Rob!
Tom

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 02:19:43 AM »

How difficult is pulling the overlay harness, have to remove the gas tank?   Have not “looked” yet but are the stock rear speaker plug in’s easy to find or buried somewhere? 

Tom149

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 08:59:21 AM »

Wenchal,

Not hard at all; just start at he tour pak and work your way forward unplugging as you go along and you can do this just by removing the bags, canopy/console, and front fairing without removing the tank. The rear speaker plugs are located just inside of the rear speakers pods. As I recall there are four connections (2 plugs in the rear and 2 in the front) that you have to make so that the radio will power the existing speakers just like a stock Ultra Classic and thats it.

Tom149
Tom

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »

Wenchal,

Not hard at all; just start at he tour pak and work your way forward unplugging as you go along and you can do this just by removing the bags, canopy/console, and front fairing without removing the tank. The rear speaker plugs are located just inside of the rear speakers pods. As I recall there are four connections (2 plugs in the rear and 2 in the front) that you have to make so that the radio will power the existing speakers just like a stock Ultra Classic and thats it.

Tom149

Ditto. I removed the amp from my 07 this way.

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 07:00:25 PM »

Thanks!  I'm planning on making this my winter project...OK, so on the CB, I'd like to keep it with the tour pak off.  The tour pak has that load coil - can you run safe without it?  Have not asked a dealer yet but in the parts book to add CB to a Street Glide it just lists the parts for the console, CB module, and the antenna does not look anthing special.  I like keeping up with the chat on HOG and group rides but don't want to fry the radio. 

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.