Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any issues with 08 FLHSRE4 rims holding air?  (Read 813 times)

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
Any issues with 08 FLHSRE4 rims holding air?
« on: October 04, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »

I'm having a strange problem. While on a trip, I found my front tire was about flat>went to the local dealer>couldn't find a problem. Brought it home, had that dealer look at it>couldn't find a problem (went flat again) but now holds air(?). Now, my rear wheel started doing the same thing! What gives? A problem with the rim? valve stem? I'm putting air in every 3-4 days. Any suggestions taken.
'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Any issues with 08 FLHSRE4 rims holding air?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »

I'm having a strange problem. While on a trip, I found my front tire was about flat>went to the local dealer>couldn't find a problem. Brought it home, had that dealer look at it>couldn't find a problem (went flat again) but now holds air(?). Now, my rear wheel started doing the same thing! What gives? A problem with the rim? valve stem? I'm putting air in every 3-4 days. Any suggestions taken.

Having an issue like this "fix" itself and then jump to the other end of the bike doesn't make any sense at all, unless you have someone messing with you.  Do you have any friends or relatives who like to play practical jokes?  How about folks who just don't like you?

A wheel porosity problem is least likely, since those don't "fix" themselves.  Could possibly have had a poorly seated bead that eventually seated and sealed, but once again not something that would normally be OK, then go bad, then fix itself.  Check to make sure the valve stem cores are screwed in properly and that there is nothing in the caps that could be depressing the valve stem.  If the problem persists, have the offending tire and wheel assembly removed and placed in a water trough to find the leak.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

08roadkingse

• CVO1: 2008 Road King CVO
Re: Any issues with 08 FLHSRE4 rims holding air?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:52:33 PM »

Thanks, no I think it's a coincidence as the first flat tire happened a few hundred miles from home. The dealer said they could call technical services as see if there's been a problem. When they did the front tire, it was submerged in water. There was some thought that the valve stem may have been slightly loose. The dealer thought the rim could be at fault so I'll let it ride a littel while longer and then bring it in if it continues.

'08 FLHSRE4
SE 11:1's, Woods .575 Cams, SERT, Heavy Breather a.c., Bassani pipes, Mustang seat, Extended custom bags, custom paint, removable tourpak, Hoppe Fairing w/ klockwerks windshield, 13" wild 1 apes, heated grips, Misc. chrome bling

'05 Deuce (or "the other woman" per/wife)
128hp 113, HD rad. paint, chrome everything, 200 leds on remote, onboard comp. air shocks, my bar hopper

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.