Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 FLTRSE3 Saddle bag guard rails. has anyone mounted them?  (Read 2410 times)

Jonny Mac

• Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
2009 FLTRSE3 Saddle bag guard rails. has anyone mounted them?
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:16:38 PM »

I just did my 5000 mile service and am LOVING THIS BIKE!!!!!!  When I ordered the bike I also ordered the Saddle bag guard rails (nostalgia) and had not taken in to consideration the lack of room between the saddle bag and light filler strip. has anyone mounted them?

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: 2009 FLTRSE3 Saddle bag guard rails. has anyone mounted them?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »

Would be interested to see how someone accomplished it if at all. I just went w/ the saddlebag guards and no rails. Was actually a more complicated affair than I expected.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:51:09 PM »

I just did my 5000 mile service and am LOVING THIS BIKE!!!!!!  When I ordered the bike I also ordered the Saddle bag guard rails (nostalgia) and had not taken in to consideration the lack of room between the saddle bag and light filler strip. has anyone mounted them?

I installed them on my 08 SEUC.  I had to change the filler strips to the slotted version.

I'm going to guess that they will not work on your 09 SERG
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:53:51 PM by LRebel »

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:42:23 AM »

Nice ride. You'll probably have to replace the filler strips with the slotted version. Had to on my 07. THE MUFFMAN

MikeD

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »

Johnny, fist, you have a great looking garage!  I'm jealous!  Second, and this is my opinion by the way, but the saddle bag guards are functional, but I think they would take away from the look of the bike.  The SERG looks sleek and somewhat stripped down, i.e. tail light, lowered, etc.  I wouldn't want to mess around with what they have done on the rear end of the bike. 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 09:30:34 AM »

Johnny, fist, you have a great looking garage!  I'm jealous!   

I'll second that (and the bike looks good too).

Jonny Mac

• Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »

Thanks for the input guys,
I have to agree with you Mike D and Boatman, as much as I like the look on our 05 RG, this bike has a very good look to it and my priority is to leave it as stock as possible.
I was just thinking how screwed it would be to have to replace a bag after damaging it, but with my luck I would damage the bag just above or below the rail.
The other conceren was the location height, with the extensions on the bags it would be positioned almost mid bag and that might look funky.

Thanks Mike D for the Garage compliment, it is my get away from it all place!
I went to the stereo shop monday and had the auto garage door opener (HD item) installed and that is a have to have item. (see clip)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 10:57:12 PM »

The saddlebag guards fit the bike no problem.  The top and side is an exact fit.  The bottom cuts the front corner slightly, but it perfectly follows the bottom contour.   Putting guards on may detract from the clean look, but so does the tour pack, lowers, driver seat back, etc. 

I installed them on mine not just to protect the bags, but my legs and passenger legs in an accident.  Insurance and H-D will replace the bags, but I only have one set of legs.  The bags and faring are made of fiberglass.  Not much between you and the road.  Stupid stuff like taking a turn too fast or slipping on oil at an intersection could put you on your side in a nanosecond.  Only thing protecting you from loosing a leg is the engine guard and saddlebag guard.  The SERG is 850 LBS with no fuel, passenger, etc.  Not good if your legs are between it and the road.  I also got the bike to travel.  It's nice having the extra storage space and watter bottle. 

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:05:31 PM »

The saddlebag guards fit the bike no problem.  The top and side is an exact fit.  The bottom cuts the front corner slightly, but it perfectly follows the bottom contour.   Putting guards on may detract from the clean look, but so does the tour pack, lowers, driver seat back, etc. 

I installed them on mine not just to protect the bags, but my legs and passenger legs in an accident.  Insurance and H-D will replace the bags, but I only have one set of legs.  The bags and faring are made of fiberglass.  Not much between you and the road.  Stupid stuff like taking a turn too fast or slipping on oil at an intersection could put you on your side in a nanosecond.  Only thing protecting you from loosing a leg is the engine guard and saddlebag guard.  The SERG is 850 LBS with no fuel, passenger, etc.  Not good if your legs are between it and the road.  I also got the bike to travel.  It's nice having the extra storage space and watter bottle. 

I think these are what he was talking about
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441842355&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309149262&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309149262&bmUID=1227758624127&bmLocale=en_US

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 11:18:26 PM »

Got it.  Scratch my previous post.  That thing would look like crap on the SERG! 

:oops:

Thanks!

:nixweiss:... with the extended bags, I think you are right.

I don't think there would be any way to mount them on the 09 SERG with the "StreetGlide" type fender.  The saddlebag guards you have installed are probably the only possible option.

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 04:50:37 AM »

Got it.  Scratch my previous post.  That thing would look like crap on the SERG!    :oops:

Sorry but I feel the same way not on these bikes!

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.