Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Looking to buy Black/orange 2000 FLTRSEI  (Read 19977 times)

2thplumber

Re: Looking to buy Black/orange 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 09:12:19 AM »

LarryB and Ditch... Thanks for your comments. I just spoke to a friend who has many years of experience with HD. He told me the same thing. Even though this bike appears to be well maintained there could be issues. Plus the bike does not come with service records, the cover, bag, or liners. It appears to be very well maintained by someone who was willing to work on the bike. I'm not sure that is me. I'm thinking  :nervous: You guy are great!!

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »

Welcome to the group. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and was torn between a new Road Glide or a 00 SERG. I went with the 00 and have been very happy with it and would recommend you buy it. Its a very complete bike with features not found on the new ones that can add up expenses real quick. Price out the Tour Pack, docking hardware, passenger back rest, rider back rest, lowers, and all the chrome goodies you won't find on a new bike and you will find it is a great deal. The new SE's overheat, have gasket problems, and still need most of the stuff mentioned above. I have ridden many miles with friends with the newer SE's and believe me there is no issue with power the 00's will pull with any new stock SE.
If you look at a 01 the only difference is the CD deck in the Tour Pack (bad idea) and chrome rims. The manuals, shark fin end caps and cover show up on ebay every once in a while and I have managed to stock replacements for them all.

All twin cams have problems with the cam chain tensioners so replace them with gear driven cams at 25K or so and I don't think you will ever regret purchasing a low mile 00 SERG. The new ones are great bikes and sure a six speed, bigger tank, and abs are nice but not enough for me to pull the trigger for one. Maybe when they come out with a wet motor I'll change my mind.  Doc

Brinks

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2008 SERK Annie
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 11:07:54 AM »

Welcome from NW of Chicago  :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

2thplumber

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »

Grandpadoc, how would you feel if...  "Price out the Tour Pack, docking hardware,passenger back rest, rider back rest, lowers and all the chrome goodies you won't find on a new bike"   the highlighted hardware plus cover/bag, records and manuals were missing? Still a good deal at $15K? Mike

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »

:welcome_005:  Welcome to the site, 2thplumber / Mike    :welcome_005:  from  :sunny:  sunny So. Cal.  :sunny: and the CVO gang!  :vrolijk_6:  Hope you get that SERG! :2vrolijk_20:  :2vrolijk_20:   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:  We'll try to help you spend more  :ons_4: $$$$ on it!   :ons_4:   :bananarock:   :mango:   :huepfenjump3:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »

Grandpadoc, how would you feel if...  "Price out the Tour Pack, docking hardware,passenger back rest, rider back rest, lowers and all the chrome goodies you won't find on a new bike"   the highlighted hardware plus cover/bag, records and manuals were missing? Still a good deal at $15K? Mike
e

I have never used the backrests so that wouldn't be an issue with me, and the original manual shows up on ebay all the time. Now that you are informed of what a complete bike should look like you can ask owner for the items and if not available use it as a bargaining chip for a lower price. I did that and all of a sudden the cover and manual showed up plus a couple of never used helmets. Two years ago I paid 19K for mine with 6500 miles, but complete. Since then I've added pasenger flood boards and gear drive cams for about 2500. If you could get him down to 12500 or 13000 because the "tensioners will need replacing and the bikes not complete" and times are tough....you would have a killer deal for the Screaming Eagle that started it all.  Doc

2thplumber

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:44 PM »

Exactly what I'm thinking...Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 12:16:29 PM »

I gave $12.5 for my 2000 just over a year ago.  It was all there with mileage in the teens but I knew it was a steal at the time.  The popularity of the new 09 SERGs has actually boosted interest in the old ones enough that used prices seemed to have firmed up a bit.  Missing the things that the bike you're looking at is missing I'd think it should sell for a bit less.  But he's not that far from what they've doing in the last year. 

As for the older bikes being less problematic than the new ones Harley's QC unfortunately doesn't make that ring true.  Many of the recent models have had systemic problems.  The 2000 bike should at least have had whatever issues it had (if any) worked through.  There will be maintenance of course.  It's a nearly 10 year old vehicle after all.  But it's a nearly 10 year old vehicle with really only a bit more than a year's worth of miles on it. 

Good luck whichever way you go.  Part of buying a Harley is often your reaction to the bike.  What it looks like; to you.  If you like the look of the classic SERGs there's really never been anything else in the lineup that does the same thing.  Hope you enjoy whatever you end up with.

2thplumber

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »

Twolanerider, again thank you.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 01:37:59 PM »

All twin cams have problems with the cam chain tensioners so replace them with gear driven cams at 25K

Doc is right about this, that's for sure

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »

Welcome to the site! Go for the bike.  :orange: :2vrolijk_21:

xjackx

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »

:welcome_005: to the site from South  :divers009: Carolina!  :bananarock:

XCESS

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2009, 08:13:49 PM »

Welcome from New Brunswick Canada

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2009, 08:15:56 PM »

I have never used the backrests so that wouldn't be an issue with me, and the original manual shows up on ebay all the time. Now that you are informed of what a complete bike should look like you can ask owner for the items and if not available use it as a bargaining chip for a lower price.....you would have a killer deal for the Screaming Eagle that started it all.  Doc

Doc, I agree with what you said but... with no lowers I would negotiate a LOT harder. That alone would put me in the 12.5K range.

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2009, 09:08:48 PM »

Welcome to the site from Northwest Ohio!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.