Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Hawg Halters Calipers  (Read 24480 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Hawg Halters Calipers
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:10:12 PM »

Anybody got any experience or heard anything good or bad about these? They have 4 and 6 piston applications front and rear for it looks like about '84 and up H-D.  Looks kind of intriguing. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Features:
   Top Quality Brake Calipers Providing Excellent Braking Performance
   Caliper Bodies CNC Machined from Solid Billet 6061-T651 Aluminum
   Stainless Steel Pistons CNC Machined to Exacting Tolerances
   Direct Front Bolt-on to Fork Leg, No Extra Brackets, 1984 & Up Models
   Custom Rear Caliper Mount, CNC Machined Billet Aluminum Bracket
   Available in 3 Finishes: Chrome, Polish, or Black Anodized
   Kits Include Necessary Bracket, Hardware & Instructions

http://www.hawghalters.com/calipers.html

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Hawg Halters Calipers
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:08:59 PM »

Did you see that HD has recently begun offering a Brembo upgrade for the 06 V-Rod models?  If memory serves they weren't even body-part-equal expensive.  One could hope that a similar product might be down the pipe forr the rest of us.  But who knows.....  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:16:35 PM »

ITS ALREADY HERE!!!
heres the upgrade you want
http://www.qtmi.com/calipers.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 10:31:52 PM by tony1968 »

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:32:51 PM »

sweet, I gutta have em! No rears though huh? PMs in the back and Brembo's in the front??
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 11:33:43 PM by sefatboyscott »
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:55:01 PM »

ITS ALREADY HERE!!!
heres the upgrade you want
http://www.qtmi.com/calipers.html

Magoo, is this what you bought???

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 08:33:49 AM »

sweet, I gutta have em! No rears though huh? PMs in the back and Brembo's in the front??

Recently rode an '04 SEEG with the Brembo's and was impressed to say the least.  For those of us that like to do a lot of mountain and twisty riding I almost put these in the "must" catagory.  They seemed to be twice the braking with half the finger pressure.  As far as the rear's are concerned, I think you might be pleased with the HD calipers and Lyndall pads.  Guess it depends on your riding style, but I use almost no rear brake at speed.  My rear's are the workhorse brakes for "trick" riding and manuvering in parking lots and the Lyndall puts some real bite in the stock unit.  (Spend more time "covering" the rear than using it.)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 10:43:43 AM »

They have rears as well >  http://www.qtmi.com/rearbrakes.html   They use a front caliper with this bracket, as best I can tell.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FastFreddie

• 08 Ultra, 00 FLSTC, XR1000, 48E,01 Deuce
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 12:03:14 PM »

If you look closely at the 06 V-Rod's and also the 04 and newer Sporty's you will see that the front caliper location is identical all across Harley line, they just use an additional bracket to mount the nissan and brembo calipers to the forks. So either caliper is an option for use straight from you Harley accessory catolog for chrome calipers, and replacement pads available at all harley dealers. By the way, I also believe the Sporty nissan caliper uses the same pads as all 00 and newer H-D's

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 07:40:22 PM »

Recently rode an '04 SEEG with the Brembo's and was impressed to say the least.  For those of us that like to do a lot of mountain and twisty riding I almost put these in the "must" catagory.  They seemed to be twice the braking with half the finger pressure.  As far as the rear's are concerned, I think you might be pleased with the HD calipers and Lyndall pads.  Guess it depends on your riding style, but I use almost no rear brake at speed.  My rear's are the workhorse brakes for "trick" riding and manuvering in parking lots and the Lyndall puts some real bite in the stock unit.  (Spend more time "covering" the rear than using it.)

Brian, our riding styles sound similar.  Would you say you get any better "feel" out of the rear pedal with the Lyndall's at all?  The rear brakes on these Electra Glides seem like they're either "on" or "off" with not much in-between, to me.

Also, I wonder if a change to the Brembo or Hawg Halter calipers would help in this regard, or if the "feel" is more an issue with the master cylinder than the calipers/pads? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 07:44:16 PM by 103tHunDer »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 08:43:21 PM »

Brian, our riding styles sound similar.  Would you say you get any better "feel" out of the rear pedal with the Lyndall's at all?  The rear brakes on these Electra Glides seem like they're either "on" or "off" with not much in-between, to me.

Also, I wonder if a change to the Brembo or Hawg Halter calipers would help in this regard, or if the "feel" is more an issue with the master cylinder than the calipers/pads? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

The Lyndall pads in the rear give a lot more feel when "feathering" the rear.  Know what your saying about the "on-off" with the OE pads and the change does get rid of that feel.  I'm using Brembo calipers and rotors, front and rear on a scoot I'm building, but only because I'm putting it together for a "big buck" resale bike.  If they didn't, I wouldn't spend the money for the rear.  Someone who actually uses the rear brake for more than a manuevering tool might find them worthwhile.

As far as the fronts are concerned, the feel of the Brembo units will be amazing to you.  HD brakes and I use 2 or 3 fingers.  Brembo, 1 is plenty.  A big stop and incredibly smooth.  Sounds like a Brembo commercial, but for my liking they are lightyears ahead of other premium quality units such as PM.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 09:17:21 PM »

I'm using Brembo calipers and rotors, front and rear on a scoot I'm building, but only because I'm putting it together for a "big buck" resale bike.  If they didn't, I wouldn't spend the money for the rear.  Someone who actually uses the rear brake for more than a manuevering tool might find them worthwhile.

I think every time I removed the right saddlebag I'd feel like I cheaped out if I didn't do both ends at the same time.

Do you think the Brembo rotors are that much better than what we have stock?  They seem pretty proud of them ($325 per)!  It would be nice to keep the matching rotor/wheel combo as long as there is not a huge sacrifice in performance.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 09:23:43 PM »

I have them on one of my bikes...

As for as I am concerned, they have performed the best in my opinion..

Jock

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 09:24:21 AM »

Hawg Halters are a local firm here , just up the road . Thier calipers are high quality and if you don't want logo's a good alternative.  I've had Brembo's on another bike , they are IMHO the best .  Unfortunately they worked so well I stood that bike up and over in an accident . but they got POWER
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 10:59:43 AM »

Hawg Halters are a local firm here , just up the road . Thier calipers are high quality and if you don't want logo's a good alternative.  I've had Brembo's on another bike , they are IMHO the best .  Unfortunately they worked so well I stood that bike up and over in an accident . but they got POWER

Nidan, just want to clarify here.  Are you saying you had the accident because the breaks worked... um... "better" than suddenly expected or that you were involved in an accident already and the brakes were enough better that in panic breaking the nose just locked up that solid?

Were you on a bit of a downhill slope perhaps?  Would've initially thought that with all the weight behind the front axle that the front wheel would've slid in a case like that rathern than the bike fully doing an endo all its own without hitting anything  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 11:19:19 AM »

I think every time I removed the right saddlebag I'd feel like I cheaped out if I didn't do both ends at the same time.

Do you think the Brembo rotors are that much better than what we have stock?  They seem pretty proud of them ($325 per)!  It would be nice to keep the matching rotor/wheel combo as long as there is not a huge sacrifice in performance.

I've ridden with the Brembo's on bkes with matching rotors and OE without being able to tell a real difference.  Unfortunately, I'm not educated well enough on the science involving rotor materials and construction to comment on whether or not they are better or just a custom touch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.