Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Hawg Halters Calipers  (Read 24479 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Hawg Halters Calipers
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:10:12 PM »

Anybody got any experience or heard anything good or bad about these? They have 4 and 6 piston applications front and rear for it looks like about '84 and up H-D.  Looks kind of intriguing. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Features:
   Top Quality Brake Calipers Providing Excellent Braking Performance
   Caliper Bodies CNC Machined from Solid Billet 6061-T651 Aluminum
   Stainless Steel Pistons CNC Machined to Exacting Tolerances
   Direct Front Bolt-on to Fork Leg, No Extra Brackets, 1984 & Up Models
   Custom Rear Caliper Mount, CNC Machined Billet Aluminum Bracket
   Available in 3 Finishes: Chrome, Polish, or Black Anodized
   Kits Include Necessary Bracket, Hardware & Instructions

http://www.hawghalters.com/calipers.html

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Hawg Halters Calipers
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:08:59 PM »

Did you see that HD has recently begun offering a Brembo upgrade for the 06 V-Rod models?  If memory serves they weren't even body-part-equal expensive.  One could hope that a similar product might be down the pipe forr the rest of us.  But who knows.....  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:16:35 PM »

ITS ALREADY HERE!!!
heres the upgrade you want
http://www.qtmi.com/calipers.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 10:31:52 PM by tony1968 »

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:32:51 PM »

sweet, I gutta have em! No rears though huh? PMs in the back and Brembo's in the front??
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 11:33:43 PM by sefatboyscott »
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:55:01 PM »

ITS ALREADY HERE!!!
heres the upgrade you want
http://www.qtmi.com/calipers.html

Magoo, is this what you bought???

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 08:33:49 AM »

sweet, I gutta have em! No rears though huh? PMs in the back and Brembo's in the front??

Recently rode an '04 SEEG with the Brembo's and was impressed to say the least.  For those of us that like to do a lot of mountain and twisty riding I almost put these in the "must" catagory.  They seemed to be twice the braking with half the finger pressure.  As far as the rear's are concerned, I think you might be pleased with the HD calipers and Lyndall pads.  Guess it depends on your riding style, but I use almost no rear brake at speed.  My rear's are the workhorse brakes for "trick" riding and manuvering in parking lots and the Lyndall puts some real bite in the stock unit.  (Spend more time "covering" the rear than using it.)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 10:43:43 AM »

They have rears as well >  http://www.qtmi.com/rearbrakes.html   They use a front caliper with this bracket, as best I can tell.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FastFreddie

• 08 Ultra, 00 FLSTC, XR1000, 48E,01 Deuce
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 12:03:14 PM »

If you look closely at the 06 V-Rod's and also the 04 and newer Sporty's you will see that the front caliper location is identical all across Harley line, they just use an additional bracket to mount the nissan and brembo calipers to the forks. So either caliper is an option for use straight from you Harley accessory catolog for chrome calipers, and replacement pads available at all harley dealers. By the way, I also believe the Sporty nissan caliper uses the same pads as all 00 and newer H-D's

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 07:40:22 PM »

Recently rode an '04 SEEG with the Brembo's and was impressed to say the least.  For those of us that like to do a lot of mountain and twisty riding I almost put these in the "must" catagory.  They seemed to be twice the braking with half the finger pressure.  As far as the rear's are concerned, I think you might be pleased with the HD calipers and Lyndall pads.  Guess it depends on your riding style, but I use almost no rear brake at speed.  My rear's are the workhorse brakes for "trick" riding and manuvering in parking lots and the Lyndall puts some real bite in the stock unit.  (Spend more time "covering" the rear than using it.)

Brian, our riding styles sound similar.  Would you say you get any better "feel" out of the rear pedal with the Lyndall's at all?  The rear brakes on these Electra Glides seem like they're either "on" or "off" with not much in-between, to me.

Also, I wonder if a change to the Brembo or Hawg Halter calipers would help in this regard, or if the "feel" is more an issue with the master cylinder than the calipers/pads? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 07:44:16 PM by 103tHunDer »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 08:43:21 PM »

Brian, our riding styles sound similar.  Would you say you get any better "feel" out of the rear pedal with the Lyndall's at all?  The rear brakes on these Electra Glides seem like they're either "on" or "off" with not much in-between, to me.

Also, I wonder if a change to the Brembo or Hawg Halter calipers would help in this regard, or if the "feel" is more an issue with the master cylinder than the calipers/pads? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

The Lyndall pads in the rear give a lot more feel when "feathering" the rear.  Know what your saying about the "on-off" with the OE pads and the change does get rid of that feel.  I'm using Brembo calipers and rotors, front and rear on a scoot I'm building, but only because I'm putting it together for a "big buck" resale bike.  If they didn't, I wouldn't spend the money for the rear.  Someone who actually uses the rear brake for more than a manuevering tool might find them worthwhile.

As far as the fronts are concerned, the feel of the Brembo units will be amazing to you.  HD brakes and I use 2 or 3 fingers.  Brembo, 1 is plenty.  A big stop and incredibly smooth.  Sounds like a Brembo commercial, but for my liking they are lightyears ahead of other premium quality units such as PM.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 09:17:21 PM »

I'm using Brembo calipers and rotors, front and rear on a scoot I'm building, but only because I'm putting it together for a "big buck" resale bike.  If they didn't, I wouldn't spend the money for the rear.  Someone who actually uses the rear brake for more than a manuevering tool might find them worthwhile.

I think every time I removed the right saddlebag I'd feel like I cheaped out if I didn't do both ends at the same time.

Do you think the Brembo rotors are that much better than what we have stock?  They seem pretty proud of them ($325 per)!  It would be nice to keep the matching rotor/wheel combo as long as there is not a huge sacrifice in performance.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 09:23:43 PM »

I have them on one of my bikes...

As for as I am concerned, they have performed the best in my opinion..

Jock

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 09:24:21 AM »

Hawg Halters are a local firm here , just up the road . Thier calipers are high quality and if you don't want logo's a good alternative.  I've had Brembo's on another bike , they are IMHO the best .  Unfortunately they worked so well I stood that bike up and over in an accident . but they got POWER
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 10:59:43 AM »

Hawg Halters are a local firm here , just up the road . Thier calipers are high quality and if you don't want logo's a good alternative.  I've had Brembo's on another bike , they are IMHO the best .  Unfortunately they worked so well I stood that bike up and over in an accident . but they got POWER

Nidan, just want to clarify here.  Are you saying you had the accident because the breaks worked... um... "better" than suddenly expected or that you were involved in an accident already and the brakes were enough better that in panic breaking the nose just locked up that solid?

Were you on a bit of a downhill slope perhaps?  Would've initially thought that with all the weight behind the front axle that the front wheel would've slid in a case like that rathern than the bike fully doing an endo all its own without hitting anything  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 11:19:19 AM »

I think every time I removed the right saddlebag I'd feel like I cheaped out if I didn't do both ends at the same time.

Do you think the Brembo rotors are that much better than what we have stock?  They seem pretty proud of them ($325 per)!  It would be nice to keep the matching rotor/wheel combo as long as there is not a huge sacrifice in performance.

I've ridden with the Brembo's on bkes with matching rotors and OE without being able to tell a real difference.  Unfortunately, I'm not educated well enough on the science involving rotor materials and construction to comment on whether or not they are better or just a custom touch.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 12:02:49 PM »

[highlight]Do you think the Brembo rotors are that much better than what we have stock? [/highlight] They seem pretty proud of them ($325 per)!  It would be nice to keep the matching rotor/wheel combo as long as there is not a huge sacrifice in performance.
103T,

The Brembos would be superior to the "stock" harley rotors, since they are full floaters.  Our bikes come with the full floating rotors already, so I seriously doubt you would be able to tell any difference.  Of course, if you went to the 12.6" diameter vs the stock 11.5", for only $390 each, you should feel a difference due to the additional "leverage".  I like good brakes, but not at $1170 for rotors, $975 for calipers.  I'm going to start by trying just the brake pads from Lindall, at about $125 for all three.  If that doesn't satisfy me, then perhaps the Brembos on the fronts only.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 12:09:18 PM »

103T,

The Brembos would be superior to the "stock" harley rotors, since they are full floaters.  Our bikes come with the full floating rotors already, so I seriously doubt you would be able to tell any difference.

Thanks, Jerry, that's what I was thinking, too.  One of the sites I was looking at was saying that the Brembos were superior to other floaters for a variety of reasons, but I can't find it right now and it was probably just a bunch of marketing hype, anyway.  I can't see going to the 12.6" diameter, either, so I think it may be Brembo calipers front and rear for me.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 12:20:07 PM »

I've ridden with the Brembo's on bkes with matching rotors and OE without being able to tell a real difference.  Unfortunately, I'm not educated well enough on the science involving rotor materials and construction to comment on whether or not they are better or just a custom touch.

So what I'm gathering is maybe on a sportbike or some other applications it would make sense to do the Brembo rotors in combination with the calipers to get every last bit of performance (or if you've thrown budget to the wind and are after the ultimate brake setup), but on our bikes, sounds like the performance improvement from the calipers alone are a huge improvement, especially since we have OE floating rotors.

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 08:06:33 AM »

I would call the SEEG rotors semi floaters, full floaters have a distinctive sound.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 08:34:34 AM »

Yeah, Jimp, I know what you're talking about.....my softtail has that sound and the SEEG doesn't.....the funny thing is they've both got HD floating rotors.   [smiley=confused5.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005, 12:32:22 PM »

I am so Stupid Stupid Stupid,

Last weekend I was a show and some guy had a set of Brembo chrome plated calipers for a dyna in the boxes, I know I could have got them both for 400 dollars. I didnt know if they would fit so I didnt snatch em. It looks like I would have just had to buy the brackets. Next time I'm bringing my laptop to see if I can sniff my way in to some wireless hotspot when going to these shows for informational puposes.

I have Brembo's on my Beemer and have done brakey's a few times, I miss the braking when out on the sefb. I will have these on my bike one day.....reo

LT

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 02:34:03 PM »

I've got about 15,000 miles on Brembo front calipers/rotors on my '03 Road Glide.  Since installation, they have performed flawlessly.  At the time, I chose the 11.5" rotors because they allowed a bit more of the wheel to show, whereas the 12.6's will cover up quite a bit of any front wheel.  I had talked with the folks at QTMi prior to purchase and was told that there wasn't a significant difference in braking power between the two rotor sizes.

Regarding the rotors, QTMi told me that they would guarantee pad life for at least 20,000 miles using Brembo calipers and rotors.  As I mentioned, I have 15,000+ on mine and the brakes still have lots of pad left.

Another point about the newer Brembo's:  the newer--and more expensive--caliper has 4 individual pads/caliper instead of the more normal two pads.  Most of the braking power is weighted towards the leading edge of the pad, thus with 4 leading edges instead of two, braking should be improved.  Although I haven't ridden with a set of these, those that have say the brakes are better than the ones with two pads.

One final point to illustrate the difference between good and great brakes:  If memory serves, The MoCo indicated my Road Glide had a 160 ft. stopping distance from 60 m.p.h.  With a skilled rider and Brembo calipers/rotors (I don't believe they did a rear setup at the time) that distance was decreased to 90 feet and to 100-110 feet with a decent rider.  That's a huge safety margin.

Hope this helps.

LT...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005, 02:54:10 PM »

One final point to illustrate the difference between good and great brakes:  If memory serves, The MoCo indicated my Road Glide had a 160 ft. stopping distance from 60 m.p.h.  With a skilled rider and Brembo calipers/rotors (I don't believe they did a rear setup at the time) that distance was decreased to 90 feet and to 100-110 feet with a decent rider.  That's a huge safety margin.

Hope this helps.

LT...
Hey LT, that's some good info on the brakes.......my question is:  If my stock twin calipers on my SEEG instantly bring the front wheel to a 'squall'-allmost 'slide', would these Brembo caliper/rotors improve that? and how?  Riding hard, deep into switch-back mountain turns, they never 'faded' and always seemed to be about max stopping for the tires 'gripping' ability.  I guess I'd have to ride one w/ the better front brake to understand how it could be better.  [smiley=confused5.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

LT

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 04:56:58 PM »

Thanks for the comment, Spyder!

I think what you'd notice about the Brembo's is controlled and progressively stronger braking relative to lever pressure.  I can haul that Road Glide down in no time at all without being anywhere close to brake lock up (a definite plus).  Throughout my not-so-illustrious motorcycle endeavors, I've had the occassion to own a few Ducati's (Monster, 916, 996) and an Aprilia RSV-R; all V-Twins, mind you.  That's where I got used to great brakes and learning how best to use them.  It isn't that the newer 4-piston brakes from H-D are bad, it's just that there are other brake systems that are much better.  As someone else has commented in this thread, I, too, very much enjoy a "spirited" ride both in a straight line and in the twisties and find that good brakes are a necessity.

I had a '99 Road King Classic with the old single puck calipers on the front, and better sense told that a 700+ lb motorcycle simply needed better brakes.  On it I put a set of PM 4-piston calipers (with 6-piston calipers you should really think about a new master cylinder: bigger bore, more fluid) and H-D's floating rotors.  It was a marked improvement over the stock H-D setup, but I still feel the Brembo's are much better.  Plus, the tech that installed the Brembo's said they were a snap to install.

Hope this helps.

LT...

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 09:06:46 AM »

If you look closely at the 06 V-Rod's and also the 04 and newer Sporty's you will see that the front caliper location is identical all across Harley line, they just use an additional bracket to mount the nissan and brembo calipers to the forks. So either caliper is an option for use straight from you Harley accessory catolog for chrome calipers, and replacement pads available at all harley dealers. By the way, I also believe the Sporty nissan caliper uses the same pads as all 00 and newer H-D's  per above post

Does this mean we can use these on the SEEG 05?  If so what is involved in getting them mounted?  If anyone knows I would like to find out as these would be a great addition to the chicken.  JP [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

FastFreddie

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2005, 10:11:05 AM »

Yes they will mount up. You would need the calipers and caliper mounting brackets. I have seen this done on several glides with the nissan calipers from the sportsters. The Brembo from the V-rod will mount also. Not sure however about the brakelines as I have not checked out whether they are stock H-D or custom lines.

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2005, 03:29:57 PM »

Ok where do I get the brackets? I am willing to give this a shot as the harley logo and brembo combo really look great to me.  Same pads?  Lyndalls are still a better choice or brembo pads as well?  Thanks for you help.  JP [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

FastFreddie

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 03:35:14 PM »

You just need to look up the part numbers from the 06 V-Rod parts catalog and order the bracket that mounts between the caliper and the fork leg.

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 11:18:40 PM »

Ok well I got a new in the box set of the vrod chrome brembos on ebay for 300 +sh and will call Chitown HD and see what they want for the brackets.  It makes sense that they would fit because the part numbers for the 05 vrod forks and rotors are the same as the 06 vrod and the calipers for 05s fit with tourers as well so the geometry seems like it should work.  There must be a problem here that I have not seen yet as this seems way to easy to get chrome hd/brembos on the chicken.  Anybody know what I am missing here? JP [smiley=banana.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 10:26:46 AM »

My rear's are the workhorse brakes for [highlight]"trick" riding [/highlight]and manuvering in parking lots and the Lyndall puts some real bite in the stock unit.
Hey BLM777......you gone back to dranking heavy,huh?   :-/ Har!  [smiley=beer.gif] spyder

Siegfried

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 11:50:22 AM »

Putting brembos up front on a Cherry.......OMG!!!  (Uh oh, I'm starting to sound like my teenage daughter...)

I freakin' love Brembos--have them on my Aprilia Tuono.  Would definately want them up front.  For the rear, I want a good brake, but not something so sensitive that it may be inclined to grab or lock up too quickly.  Like BLM (and others), the front brake takes care of the vast majority of my braking activities.  Which is a good thing, because my right hand can add or reduce pressure with much more subtlety than my right boot is capable of.  I'll look into the Lyndall pads for the rear......assuming that Siefried's Saga has a certain outcome, of course....

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 01:40:51 PM »

Putting brembos up front on a Cherry.......OMG!!!  (Uh oh, I'm starting to sound like my teenage daughter...)

I freakin' love Brembos--have them on my Aprilia Tuono.  Would definately want them up front.  For the rear, I want a good brake, but not something so sensitive that it may be inclined to grab or lock up too quickly.  Like BLM (and others), the front brake takes care of the vast majority of my braking activities.  Which is a good thing, because my right hand can add or reduce pressure with much more subtlety than my right boot is capable of.  I'll look into the Lyndall pads for the rear......assuming that Siefried's Saga has a certain outcome, of course....

I think you'll find the Lyndall pads on the HD calipers will work well for you.  The compliment the Brembo fronts and, at least to me, create a smooter feel with less chance of a grab and lock up than the OEM pads.

Siegfried

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2005, 03:23:23 PM »

Let's see.....engine modifications, brake upgrades.....the more time I spend on this site, the higher the Harley tax gets.  And that just doesn't seem right to me.  Can't the MoFoMoCo give the serious enthusiasts (like us) a break on parts/installation.....but perhaps I'm not advancing my own cause by referring to "the MoFoMoCo"......

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2005, 04:11:42 PM »

Let's see.....engine modifications, brake upgrades.....the more time I spend on this site, the higher the Harley tax gets.  And that just doesn't seem right to me.  Can't the MoFoMoCo give the serious enthusiasts (like us) a break on parts/installation.....but perhaps I'm not advancing my own cause by referring to "the MoFoMoCo"......

Damn Zig, at least most of us had a pile of parts here waiting on a bike that we'd alread bought.  You're hoovering parts and haven't even flown out to look at the bike yet.  You're a sick sick man......    [smiley=nervous.gif]

(not that that's a bad thing)

Siegfried

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 04:19:00 PM »

Yea, yea, I know, and 'hoovering' is about the right term.  The flight is tomorrow.  In 24 hours I will have seen the future, and it will be good (but improvable-upon, of course).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2005, 05:30:41 PM »

Yea, yea, I know, and 'hoovering' is about the right term.  The flight is tomorrow.  In 24 hours I will have seen the future, and it will be good (but improvable-upon, of course).

Good luck on the trip.  Hope what you find is as good and attractive as what you are hoping for.  Just glad you're getting there before those other dozen or potential shoppers all descend on the same bike.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 05:34:45 PM »

Good luck on the trip.  Hope what you find is as good and attractive as what you are hoping for.  Just glad you're getting there before those other dozen or potential shoppers all descend on the same bike.

Before?? My buddy is going tonight [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Siegfried

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2005, 05:57:58 PM »

Jeez--you two again??  Can't you find anyone else to go 'play with'??

Yuck it up all you want--we'll see who's laughing later.  (What am I talking about??  If this thing goes as planned, I'm going to have a meltdown when I see my next bank statement, given the bike cost, Harley tax, etc. Why am I doing this again??  Oh yea, to entertain you guys.)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2005, 05:59:54 PM »

Yuck it up all you want--we'll see who's laughing later.  (What am I talking about??  If this thing goes as planned, I'm going to have a meltdown when I see my next bank statement, given the bike cost, Harley tax, etc. Why am I doing this again??  Oh yea, to entertain you guys.)

You'll be laughing I'm sure! When you get the Cherry out on the road you just can't help it.

Good Luck Tomorrow! [smiley=cherry.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2005, 06:01:02 PM »

Don't be too concerned.  It's just the hazing that goes with joining the great Cherry fraternity.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2005, 10:50:41 PM »

Everyone,

I have been following this post with great interest. Ironically, last month I picked up an excellent complete set of Brembo Parts off eBay, got the Two Front & Back Floating Rotors, Calipers, and Shoes and the Russel SS Brake Lines. The calipers are Gold, and the Brembo Floating Rotors are Gold & Black. The guy was from California (Wes Last Name, I forgot), he is moving to Lake Havusu.

Won't be able to report on them until sometime in February, as bike is in Phoenix and I won't be down till then.

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2005, 11:15:50 AM »

Hawg Halters are excellent brakes.  Clean lines and design, quieter and stopped better than stock.  Used their rotors too, although I think PM has nicer rotors.  All in all, they are probably not at Brembro status, but a worthwhile choice.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2005, 07:21:53 PM »

Thanks for the replies, everyone!  I went with the Brembo calipers front and rear.  Pictures when the bike comes home and a full ride report probably late-March or so, once we're out of the frozen tundra here.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2005, 09:00:24 PM »

May as well chime in I think I posted this in the SEEG section about a year ago when I install the Brembos on Ethel.  They are without a dought the best brakes I have ever had on a HD I went with the 4 piston 4 pad front caliper and the 12.6in rotors and the rear caliper and rotor.  They will indeed get the rear off the ground.  The only problem I have incountered is in the fact that they are self retacting so they do not have constant contact with the rotor thus no heat which when ridin in the rain can be somewhat interesting until you adapt to them. I have a set on the shelf for the new SEUC whenit arrives.  Also QTM is great to deal with as I had a bad caliper they overnighted a replacement for free.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2005, 09:10:28 PM »

Magoo, thanks for the heads-up on the rain situation.  I proabably never would've given that a moments thought if you hadn't said something.  I got the 2-pad jobbies since I am staying with the stock rotors but they are still self-retracting.  Probably won't be quite the setup you have, but should still be a noticeable improvement over stock, for only a few more $$$ than the chrome H-D calipers cost.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2006, 05:04:55 PM »

Thats why I'm suprised you don't see more of this stuff on HD's its far better than the stock chrome one the parts book list and not much more money.  I ride in the rain alot it seems and it didn't take long to figure out how to adapt riding with the brakes.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2006, 10:34:32 PM »

Photos of my Brembo calipers installed (road test to follow once we get out of the road salt infested frozen tundra that is Illinois) . . .

Fronts:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2006, 10:35:04 PM »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2006, 10:35:35 PM »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2006, 10:35:58 PM »

Rear . . .

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2006, 10:36:53 PM »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006, 10:50:05 PM »

Brian, they look GREAT!  Now, how much improvement in the stopping?  How long is your garage?  Gonna be hard to wait till Spring in Illinois.  And what you gonna do about the front discs?  Dang, they look great....big pads, huh?    [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] spyder

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2006, 11:05:26 PM »

Spyder, thanks!  The garage is about 60 x 40, not enough room for a fair test, lol!

Leaving the stock rotors on there. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2006, 11:17:28 PM »

Which Lyndalls are you using, the Gold or the Zpads?  
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2006, 01:26:52 AM »

Just noticed the pictures Brian.  Thanks for sharing.  Was really interested in what the new intermediate bracketry would look like.  Was afraid it would look too extraneous or "added on."  You know; goofy.  But while it may not look like it was an OE design it does look pretty good hanging there.  I think the back actually looks way better.  Too bad it's always hidden by the saddlebag.  Nice stuff  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2006, 08:50:33 AM »

Regarding the brembo's and the accident.   I was going about 30mph , light turned yellow , the Porsche 944 just in front of me slammed on the brakes , so did I. The cop who happened to be at the intersection (hence the reason for the panic stop by the porsche) estimated I had about 15ft to stop. Bumper to bumper noon time traffic in Silicon Valley.

It was dead flat, 70 degrees and clear .  I had just enough time to say Oh S and not even the ..hit.  I had locked both brakes , but the dual fronts were sufficent to completely halt forward progress. Momentum and physics being what they are , I essentially pole vaulted the bike on top of me.

This was a BMW k75s , much lighter than a HOG.   under normal use , I found the brakes progressive and efficient. I learned a good lesson that day, Always follow the 2 second rule!
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2006, 08:54:20 AM »

Which Lyndalls are you using, the Gold or the Zpads?  

Ernie...have only had experience with the Gold.  Don't take this as fact, but I have heard on several occassions that the Z's are rotor-eaters.  Again, rumor only.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2006, 09:37:31 AM »

This is the info from the Lyndall web page.  Reading this, you would think the "Z" pad would be the best choice for street use. ????
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The LRB Z Plus Pad is a matrix of Kevlar and non-ferrous metal similar to our gold pad in stopping performance, but softened slightly to provide a longer service life in the lower temperature ranges found in common street use. This pad is dust free, quiet and the [highlight]best protection you can get for polished rotors[/highlight].

The LRB Gold Pad, the same pure Carbon Kevlar friction material developed and used by top Formula Atlantic and Indy Light Race Car teams is now available for your American Cruiser. This pad works great cold and thrives under abusive conditions of complete thermal saturation - a wise choice for heavy duty service such as touring, two-up, in mountains or hauling down your Nitro Burning, Fire Breathing Dragon at the ADRA venues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2006, 10:12:59 AM »

Hey 103,

Those are some sweet looking clampers!  My H-D tax list keeps getting longer.
(maybe the wife will forget that she made me promise not to spend any tax money on the new ride)

Yellowsedeuce

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2006, 10:16:24 AM »

yellowseduece, Thanks, I like the way they look, too!  But the proof will be in the performance.  C'mon springtime!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2006, 01:08:43 PM »

They look nice 103.  Did you get the info on seating the pads to the rotors?

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2006, 02:50:34 PM »

Magoo, yeah I did.  From memory, it goes something like: ride a couple miles with the brakes on then run 'er up to 60 mph and do a panic stop.  Repeat 9 times.  The tech that installed them said he did four of the six (thought only four was required), so I'm gonna start all over from the beginning.  He said after the first one, smoke started rolling off the pads!  Should be interesting to see. :o

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2006, 03:07:04 PM »

This is the bed-in procedure from the Brembo site:

Should new discs and pads be bedded in and if so, how?
The answer is yes, for optimum performance, any time different friction materials or discs are introduced, a bedding procedure should be carried out.
·      While the vehicle is stationary, pump brakes to ensure a firm pedal.
·      Drive the vehicle cautiously to test fit and function.
·      The brakes should be smooth, with no vibrations, judder, etc.
·      Drive the vehicle to a remote area and perform at least 30 brake applications of 3-second duration. Use light/medium deceleration with varying starting speeds. Leave at least ½ mile between each brake application.
·      The purpose of this procedure is to gradually increase the temperature in the components without inducing thermal shock, and to mate the brake pad and disc friction surfaces.
·      After the repeated stops, drive the vehicle for several miles with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components.
·      After the above process is completed, the system is ready for normal use.
·      When the system achieves elevated brake temperatures for the first time, a slight increase in pedal travel and pedal effort may occur. After this first "fade" and proper cooling, the system will maintain its optimum performance at all temperatures.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2006, 03:29:26 PM »

Wow, Jerry, that's a lot less aggressive than the sheet that was packaged with my brakes.  I'll scan and post it tonight.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2006, 08:59:55 PM »

Think mine said warm up brakes then do 10 stops from 60-30mph and then 10 from 30-10mph stop and let brakes cool completely.  When I did it they did get very hot.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2006, 09:21:33 PM »

Magoo, that's what mine says, but I forgot, the d@mn paper is in the bike's tour-pak and the bike is not at my house. [smiley=oops.gif]  I'll grab the sheet this weekend and post it up when I do.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 09:22:11 PM by 103tHunDer »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2006, 10:01:44 PM »

Be warned the grab real well if you squeeze hard especially when warmed up.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2006, 09:01:48 PM »

Finally remembered to grab the instructions that came with my calipers when I was with the bike today so I could scan it.  Seating directions are on page 2.

Page 1:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 09:03:46 PM by 103tHunDer »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2006, 09:02:19 PM »

Page 2:

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2006, 06:32:53 AM »

ok the brembos for the 06 vrod will not work on the seeg without some sort of bracket that I could not find.  I sold the pair that I bought on ebay for 300 for 442 and made about 125 after shipping/ebay and paypal charges.  Oh well, no brembos for now.  With the new Zippers stuff on the horizen my dollars are going back into the going category vs the stopping catagory.  JP [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2006, 07:49:55 AM »

ok the brembos for the 06 vrod will not work on the seeg without some sort of [highlight]bracket that I could not find.[/highlight]  I sold the pair that I bought on ebay for 300 for 442 and made about 125 after shipping/ebay and paypal charges.  Oh well, no brembos for now.  With the new Zippers stuff on the horizen my dollars are going back into the going category vs the stopping catagory.  JP [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
pappy,

Try this place for the brackets:

http://www.qtmi.com/frontbrakes.html

http://www.qtmi.com/rearbrakes.html

Jerry

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2006, 10:39:35 PM »

Regardless of how well they work,,, The Bracket that adapts the "Universal" Brembo caliper to the HD fork is "MICKEY MOUSE", extra bolts etc. Just nasty looking compared to all other brands.
The Lyndall Z+ pads work good, I installed them all around last month. BUT, they make more noise and DO NOT WORK AS WELL in the rain as the DP918 (or whatever the new 05-06 part # is). The DP's are just impossible to beat day in and day out. Very well made, ceramic backing, no dust and no NOISE. I will go back soon. This was one of the things where I overthougth and let the web influence me on. I bought the Lyndall based on other folks opinion vs my own experience, won't happen again.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2006, 05:35:03 PM »

Regardless of how well they work,,, The Bracket that adapts the "Universal" Brembo caliper to the HD fork is [highlight]"MICKEY MOUSE"[/highlight], extra bolts etc. Just nasty looking compared to all other brands.

[smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=confused5.gif] :P [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2006, 07:12:30 PM »

HAR !!!  That was a good one, Brian.  Enjoyed grinning for a change today.  Been wrestling w/ a new computer today.....aaarrrgh.  Needed the laugh.  It looks fine.....how can it not w/ EXTRA CHROME !!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] har!  spyder

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2006, 07:43:13 PM »

Spyder, glad I could make ya grin!  You musta showed that new 'puter who's boss since you're postin', huh?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2006, 08:57:44 PM »

Nope, it's 'kicking my butt'.  But I got a BIG screen monitor so my ole tired eyes are loving that.  I was able to figure out how to transfer some files and settings, but lost a lot of 'stuff' that I miss.  Sometimes 'change' is hard on us old guys.  Har!  I'm hoping to get around to figuring out how to post pictures soon.....but just now got my email up and running again.  Have got to leave for Daytona soon......so, I'll just ride and forget this danged ole 'puter.  Where's ole 2lane been lately?  I hope he's on a bike trip.  har!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] spyder

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2006, 05:53:41 PM »

Well, after a lllllllloooooooooooong winter, I finally got to roll a few miles on the bike with the new Brembo calipers.  One of my biggest complaints about these big bikes after coming off of Kawasaki Concours sport tourers were the brakes.  These Brembos are FANTASTIC!!!!!!!  Not only does the bike stop quicker, which is great, but probably the best thing is the "feel" is tremendously improved.  You get a lot more communication from the rotor/pad/caliper with this setup than stock which allows better modulation of the brake for any given circumstance.  With the stock calipers, I could (of course) feel myself slowing down, but I couldn't really feel anything at the lever which left me sort of "disconnected," for lack of a better word.  These are great in this regard.  You squeeze harder, you feel, through the lever, the force being applied at the other end, you let off, you feel the caliper releasing.  It's very progressive and in to sum it up, SWEET!  Another nice surprise is they are totally silent around town since the pads completely disengage from the rotor.  No more hearing the pads make that scrubbing sound while profiling down main street, LOL!

Ditto the rear, which is night and day different from the stock set-up.  Now, during the entire length of the travel there is an ever-increasing amount of braking force that feeds back to you via the pedal.  No more feeling of going from full "off" to full "on/lock-up" with the rear brake!  

One thing the jury is still out on is the amount of brake dust the pads that came with will generate.  Probably can't get much worse than stock in that regard, however, wiping my finger across the wheel after about a 50 mile ride, much of which was in town/stop-and-go, did produce a layer of black dust.

Thanks to tony1968, BLM777, and others who pointed me toward the Brembos.  Expensive, yes, but so far, I'm totally pleased with the upgrade.  Can't wait to get it in the twisties!

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:21 PM »

I am riding HD for the first year and one of the things I noticed (compared to Bimmer which I rode before) are weak and uninformative brakes.  So the whole information on your brakes installation is potentially solution I am looking for.  Before going forward with my purchase I just wonder what you think about those brakes now when you used them for the season.

Thanks
Ruben

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2006, 10:43:38 PM »

Ruben, I am still really pleased with the peformance of the Brembos and my opinion has not waivered from my post back on April 15!  I've only put about 4,000 miles on them so far, but I couldn't be happier.  It's difficult to describe, but I think from what you wrote in your first sentence, you'll understand when I say the feedback you get with these calipers and pads is much, much improved over the stock ones.  The power is immense and you CAN LOCK the front wheel, but only near the end of a stop (talking about dry pavement here) and there is plenty of warning through the lever before that happens.  Basically, the lever transmits what is going on at the rotor, which is what I was used to on the Nissin's on my previous metric bikes.

As good as the front is, the rear is where the majority of the improvement is.  The rear brake has always been my primary b!tch with the stock Harley brakes.  Gone is the "on/off" feel of the stock setup.  The Brembo caliper gives a much more progressive action, with, again, much better feel at the pedal, even through a boot.

On the dusting, they are marginally worse than the stock DP pads that the H-D's come with, even more so when used hard, but the dust is seemingly easier to remove than with the stock pads.  I used to have to scrub to get the calipers and wheels clean before, and now it pretty much all comes off with the use of Armor All or Harley's wheel cleaner and a strong stream of water.

So, to sum it up, I'm totally please with the upgrade.  I know that many here have reported success with the Lyndall pads, so that might be a way to go, first, to see if that gives you the performance you're looking for.  I haven't tried them, so I can't comment on that, but if you're looking to get the chrome calipers and what I feel was a substantial performance improvement at the same time, I can highly recommend the Brembos. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2006, 08:02:46 AM »

Thanks for your answer.  I certanly do understand how a responsive brake system works given that I also used to have Ducati before and did Motocross and Enduro.  So the feel of when you are about blocking the wheel is an important one.

I will have a read on Lyndall brakes but Brembo is the brand I know well about as BMW uses them and they are used on sports cars.  I just have a lot of respect for this brand.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2006, 09:33:27 AM »

Thanks again 103 for another very informative and descriptive test report on the brembo calipers. I've been riding my BMW trying to get some exposure with a for sale sign on it and during the process got reacquainted with just how good riding with Brembo's are.

Last month I had a minor mishap while riding my wife’s Deluxe to work: while taking off from a stop light the girl in front of me just slammed on her brakes. Very minor in that I put a dent in the fender of the Deluxe and 3 scratches in the girls plastic back bumper. I found out how pitiful the brakes on her biker really are, I just couldn't stop. I remember the BMW would let me stop hard enough to get the back tire off the ground and very control-ably. I actually got pretty good at doing this after experiencing it the first time. Now I know putting Brembo's on the Harley’s wont give me the ability to pull the back tire off the ground or even stop at the g-forces that can be obtained from my BMW but heck the Harleys have 200 pounds on the BMW.

My plan is to put the Brembo’s on both bikes

Deluxe
Front: chrome 4 piston 2 pad

Fatboy
Front: chrome 4 piston 4 pad
Rear: chrome 4 piston 2 pad

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2006, 07:33:16 AM »

If I have the chance to do it over again I will go with the four pad calipers and 12.6" rotors on the front.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2006, 08:25:54 AM »

If I have the chance to do it over again I will go with the four pad calipers and 12.6" rotors on the front.

Jimp, I'm guessing you have the 2 pad setup on 3 calipers. How do you like them? How do you compare it to the stock setup?

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2006, 09:07:07 AM »

Jimp, I'm guessing you have the 2 pad setup on 3 calipers. How do you like them? How do you compare it to the stock setup?

To me comparing the stocker's to the Brembos is like a 88 vs 103, another words they blow the stocker's away. Also the feel is there with less fingers like on my Jap bike, never noticed much increased brake dust either.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:07:58 AM by jimp »

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »

Well, after a lllllllloooooooooooong winter, I finally got to roll a few miles on the bike with the new Brembo calipers.  One of my biggest complaints about these big bikes after coming off of Kawasaki Concours sport tourers were the brakes.  These Brembos are FANTASTIC!!!!!!!  Not only does the bike stop quicker, which is great, but probably the best thing is the "feel" is tremendously improved.  You get a lot more communication from the rotor/pad/caliper with this setup than stock which allows better modulation of the brake for any given circumstance.  With the stock calipers, I could (of course) feel myself slowing down, but I couldn't really feel anything at the lever which left me sort of "disconnected," for lack of a better word.  These are great in this regard.  You squeeze harder, you feel, through the lever, the force being applied at the other end, you let off, you feel the caliper releasing.  It's very progressive and in to sum it up, SWEET!  Another nice surprise is they are totally silent around town since the pads completely disengage from the rotor.  No more hearing the pads make that scrubbing sound while profiling down main street, LOL!

Ditto the rear, which is night and day different from the stock set-up.  Now, during the entire length of the travel there is an ever-increasing amount of braking force that feeds back to you via the pedal.  No more feeling of going from full "off" to full "on/lock-up" with the rear brake!  

One thing the jury is still out on is the amount of brake dust the pads that came with will generate.  Probably can't get much worse than stock in that regard, however, wiping my finger across the wheel after about a 50 mile ride, much of which was in town/stop-and-go, did produce a layer of black dust.

Thanks to tony1968, BLM777, and others who pointed me toward the Brembos.  Expensive, yes, but so far, I'm totally pleased with the upgrade.  Can't wait to get it in the twisties!
Have been following thread for a while, glad you really  like your new stoppers. Having been thinking of doing same. Only question I have is, did you replace your rear rotor?(can't tell from picture) thanks John
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2006, 12:17:49 PM »

John, the rear rotor is the stock unit, which for a SEEG is a floating rotor.  As you're probably aware, the SEUC's have a fixed, non-floating rotor on the back.  You might want to think about upgrading the rear to what you have on the front of your bike when you're doing this work.

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2006, 01:04:59 PM »

Thanks,
That was the plan, but was double checking to make sure that was the correct things before spent more $$$ on bling. John
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2006, 08:20:22 PM »

I know that [highlight]many here have reported success with the Lyndall pads[/highlight], so [highlight]that might be a way to go[/highlight], first, to see if that gives you the performance you're looking for.  I haven't tried them, so I can't comment on that, but if you're looking to get the chrome calipers and what I feel was a substantial performance improvement at the same time, I can highly recommend the Brembos. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Well, Brian, I've finally worn out my stock pads and bought the Lyndall pads for my front brakes....gonna just try that and hope to be satisfied.  :-? If not, I'll be contacting you for a ballpark total on the Brembo ' up-grade'.  Har!  :) spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2006, 08:25:56 PM »

Well, Brian, I've finally worn out my stock pads and bought the Lyndall pads for my front brakes....gonna just try that and hope to be satisfied.  :-? If not, I'll be contacting you for a ballpark total on the Brembo ' up-grade'.  Har!  :) spyder
Spyder I'm waiting for mines to wear out and I'm going to try the Lyndall pads also. Grover highly recommended them to me {he's using Lyndall Racing Pads (Z series)}.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2006, 08:51:14 PM »

Spyder I'm waiting for mines to wear out and I'm going to try the Lyndall pads also. Grover highly recommended them to me {he's using Lyndall Racing Pads (Z series)}.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Yeah, that's the ones I got.....BLM777 recommended them to me awhile back and I'm finally bought 'em today.  I don't hurry into some of these things. :-[  Har! [smiley=drink.gif]  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2006, 08:54:53 PM »

Yeah, that's the ones I got.....BLM777 recommended them to me awhile back and I'm finally bought 'em today.  I don't hurry into some of these things. :-[  Har! [smiley=drink.gif]  spyder
Nothing wrong w/that I'm not getting them until I need them. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I could probably buy a couple pieces of chrome before they will be needed. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2006, 09:25:07 PM »

Well, Brian, I've finally worn out my stock pads and bought the Lyndall pads for my front brakes....gonna just try that and hope to be satisfied.  :-? If not, I'll be contacting you for a [highlight]ballpark total[/highlight] on the Brembo ' up-grade'.  Har!  :) spyder

Spyder, to get a ballpark estimate for the Brembos, take one $h!t-pile, add a crap load, and divide by too much. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2006, 09:29:10 PM »

Spyder, to get a ballpark estimate for the Brembos, take one $h!t-pile, add a crap load, and divide by too much. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Was aFraid of that!  [smiley=nervous.gif] har!  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2006, 10:53:17 AM »

Have heard good things about Lyndall pads from several that have used them.  Another possible consideration is DP.  I've had them on the red bike since new.  Just changed the backs with over 20k on them and after getting them off realized it wasn't really necessary yet.  Still had close to 20% of the pad left.  They brake very well, never fade, are very very good about not leaving much dust behind and seem to last nearly forever.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2006, 11:05:21 AM »

Have heard good things about Lyndall pads from several that have used them.  Another possible consideration is DP.  I've had them on the red bike since new.  Just changed the backs with over 20k on them and after getting them off realized it wasn't really necessary yet.  Still had close to 20% of the pad left.  They brake very well, never fade, are very very good about not leaving much dust behind and seem to last nearly forever.
Are the DP pads the 'stock' MoCo pads that come on our bikes?  My rear brakes have 40K on them and still have plenty of life left (of course, I  use the rear brakes sparingly)  :) spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2006, 11:10:47 AM »

Are the DP pads the 'stock' MoCo pads that come on our bikes?  My rear brakes have 40K on them and still have plenty of life left (of course, I  use the rear brakes sparingly)  :) spyder

Now they're not Spyder.  DP and Lyndall are both significant improvement over stock pads.  I tend to use the rear brake a fair amount.  For me having a set of rear pads that will have lasted 25K is a good bit better than what stock pads would have done.  The longevity is hardly a consideration compared to the other things though.  They do brake better and do so without fade and they churn up much much less brake dust.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2006, 11:17:22 AM »

.  I tend to use the rear brake a fair amount. .
Yeah, Seems as if I remember you using/or not using the rear brakes once while rubber-necking some honeys walking down the road in bikinis......just what was the deal on that episode, any way?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] har!  :o spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2006, 11:32:42 AM »

Yeah, Seems as if I remember you using/or not using the rear brakes once while rubber-necking some honeys walking down the road in bikinis......just what was the deal on that episode, any way?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] har!  :o spyder

That was a long time ago.  Hadn't thought about it in some time  ;D .  Problem there wasn't so much the use or misuse of brakes but the watching of girls instead of watching of road.  The equation would've been something like this:

Where TA = Girls Walking From Creek and Flashing Motorcycle Rider

And RB = Red Bike

And UUC = Unnoticed Upcoming Curve

And OS = OH chit

(RB+TA)/UUC=OS

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2006, 11:36:33 AM »

That was a long time ago.  Hadn't thought about it in some time  ;D .  Problem there wasn't so much the use or misuse of brakes but the watching of girls instead of watching of road.  The equation would've been something like this:

Where TA = Girls Walking From Creek and Flashing Motorcycle Rider

And RB = Red Bike

And UUC = Unnoticed Upcoming Curve

And OS = OH chit

(RB+TA)/UUC=OS
That's a hazard that many more of us than just the RB face on a frequent basis... :-*...especially at the major rallys.  [smiley=nervous.gif] har!  [smiley=drink.gif] spyder

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2006, 11:44:37 AM »

spyder,

I seriously doubt that H-D uses the DP pads 2-lane was talking about.  Just based on the amount of brake dust generated by the stock pads, not to mention the actual braking performance, I would have to say no.  BTW - the current part numbers for our bikes are DP-957 (DP918 previous number, not sure what the difference is), and LR7195Z for the Lyndall's.  Similar in price, with the main difference being the DP's are sintered metal and the Lyndall's are carbon/Kevlar.  The DP's also use a ceramic coating between the pad and caliper piston to reduce heat transfer to the fluid, which should improve fade resistance under extreme use.

Jerry

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2006, 11:57:22 AM »

the current part numbers for our bikes are DP-957 (DP918 previous number, not sure what the difference is)

The difference between the DP918 and the DP957 is small.  The 957 is correct for 05 and newer bikes due to some small lengthening of the pad surface.  You can still use the 918s on 05 and newer though if you happen to have them.  I used 918s when the bike was new as the 957s didn't exist yet.  Put the 957s on the rear this time.  Holding them side by side you can see a difference.  But you see it and you think "that little difference was worth a manufacturing change?".

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2006, 12:01:38 PM »

current part numbers for our bikes are DP-957 (DP918 previous number, not sure what the difference is), and LR7195Z for the Lyndall's.   Jerry
Thanks Jerry.  That's the part # on the Lyndalls I got (with the exception that '[highlight]plus[/highlight]' is added to the end of the #.  Hope that's not a problem.  I'll give 'um a try and hope for the best.  I've heard that[highlight] longevity [/highlight]is the downside to the carbon/kevlar.    [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 21 queries.