Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Hawg Halters Calipers  (Read 24478 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Hawg Halters Calipers
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 12:02:49 PM »

I think every time I removed the right saddlebag I'd feel like I cheaped out if I didn't do both ends at the same time.

[highlight]Do you think the Brembo rotors are that much better than what we have stock? [/highlight] They seem pretty proud of them ($325 per)!  It would be nice to keep the matching rotor/wheel combo as long as there is not a huge sacrifice in performance.
103T,

The Brembos would be superior to the "stock" harley rotors, since they are full floaters.  Our bikes come with the full floating rotors already, so I seriously doubt you would be able to tell any difference.  Of course, if you went to the 12.6" diameter vs the stock 11.5", for only $390 each, you should feel a difference due to the additional "leverage".  I like good brakes, but not at $1170 for rotors, $975 for calipers.  I'm going to start by trying just the brake pads from Lindall, at about $125 for all three.  If that doesn't satisfy me, then perhaps the Brembos on the fronts only.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 12:09:18 PM »

103T,

The Brembos would be superior to the "stock" harley rotors, since they are full floaters.  Our bikes come with the full floating rotors already, so I seriously doubt you would be able to tell any difference.

Thanks, Jerry, that's what I was thinking, too.  One of the sites I was looking at was saying that the Brembos were superior to other floaters for a variety of reasons, but I can't find it right now and it was probably just a bunch of marketing hype, anyway.  I can't see going to the 12.6" diameter, either, so I think it may be Brembo calipers front and rear for me.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 12:20:07 PM »

I've ridden with the Brembo's on bkes with matching rotors and OE without being able to tell a real difference.  Unfortunately, I'm not educated well enough on the science involving rotor materials and construction to comment on whether or not they are better or just a custom touch.

So what I'm gathering is maybe on a sportbike or some other applications it would make sense to do the Brembo rotors in combination with the calipers to get every last bit of performance (or if you've thrown budget to the wind and are after the ultimate brake setup), but on our bikes, sounds like the performance improvement from the calipers alone are a huge improvement, especially since we have OE floating rotors.

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 08:06:33 AM »

I would call the SEEG rotors semi floaters, full floaters have a distinctive sound.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 08:34:34 AM »

Yeah, Jimp, I know what you're talking about.....my softtail has that sound and the SEEG doesn't.....the funny thing is they've both got HD floating rotors.   [smiley=confused5.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005, 12:32:22 PM »

I am so Stupid Stupid Stupid,

Last weekend I was a show and some guy had a set of Brembo chrome plated calipers for a dyna in the boxes, I know I could have got them both for 400 dollars. I didnt know if they would fit so I didnt snatch em. It looks like I would have just had to buy the brackets. Next time I'm bringing my laptop to see if I can sniff my way in to some wireless hotspot when going to these shows for informational puposes.

I have Brembo's on my Beemer and have done brakey's a few times, I miss the braking when out on the sefb. I will have these on my bike one day.....reo

LT

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 02:34:03 PM »

I've got about 15,000 miles on Brembo front calipers/rotors on my '03 Road Glide.  Since installation, they have performed flawlessly.  At the time, I chose the 11.5" rotors because they allowed a bit more of the wheel to show, whereas the 12.6's will cover up quite a bit of any front wheel.  I had talked with the folks at QTMi prior to purchase and was told that there wasn't a significant difference in braking power between the two rotor sizes.

Regarding the rotors, QTMi told me that they would guarantee pad life for at least 20,000 miles using Brembo calipers and rotors.  As I mentioned, I have 15,000+ on mine and the brakes still have lots of pad left.

Another point about the newer Brembo's:  the newer--and more expensive--caliper has 4 individual pads/caliper instead of the more normal two pads.  Most of the braking power is weighted towards the leading edge of the pad, thus with 4 leading edges instead of two, braking should be improved.  Although I haven't ridden with a set of these, those that have say the brakes are better than the ones with two pads.

One final point to illustrate the difference between good and great brakes:  If memory serves, The MoCo indicated my Road Glide had a 160 ft. stopping distance from 60 m.p.h.  With a skilled rider and Brembo calipers/rotors (I don't believe they did a rear setup at the time) that distance was decreased to 90 feet and to 100-110 feet with a decent rider.  That's a huge safety margin.

Hope this helps.

LT...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005, 02:54:10 PM »

One final point to illustrate the difference between good and great brakes:  If memory serves, The MoCo indicated my Road Glide had a 160 ft. stopping distance from 60 m.p.h.  With a skilled rider and Brembo calipers/rotors (I don't believe they did a rear setup at the time) that distance was decreased to 90 feet and to 100-110 feet with a decent rider.  That's a huge safety margin.

Hope this helps.

LT...
Hey LT, that's some good info on the brakes.......my question is:  If my stock twin calipers on my SEEG instantly bring the front wheel to a 'squall'-allmost 'slide', would these Brembo caliper/rotors improve that? and how?  Riding hard, deep into switch-back mountain turns, they never 'faded' and always seemed to be about max stopping for the tires 'gripping' ability.  I guess I'd have to ride one w/ the better front brake to understand how it could be better.  [smiley=confused5.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

LT

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 04:56:58 PM »

Thanks for the comment, Spyder!

I think what you'd notice about the Brembo's is controlled and progressively stronger braking relative to lever pressure.  I can haul that Road Glide down in no time at all without being anywhere close to brake lock up (a definite plus).  Throughout my not-so-illustrious motorcycle endeavors, I've had the occassion to own a few Ducati's (Monster, 916, 996) and an Aprilia RSV-R; all V-Twins, mind you.  That's where I got used to great brakes and learning how best to use them.  It isn't that the newer 4-piston brakes from H-D are bad, it's just that there are other brake systems that are much better.  As someone else has commented in this thread, I, too, very much enjoy a "spirited" ride both in a straight line and in the twisties and find that good brakes are a necessity.

I had a '99 Road King Classic with the old single puck calipers on the front, and better sense told that a 700+ lb motorcycle simply needed better brakes.  On it I put a set of PM 4-piston calipers (with 6-piston calipers you should really think about a new master cylinder: bigger bore, more fluid) and H-D's floating rotors.  It was a marked improvement over the stock H-D setup, but I still feel the Brembo's are much better.  Plus, the tech that installed the Brembo's said they were a snap to install.

Hope this helps.

LT...

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 09:06:46 AM »

If you look closely at the 06 V-Rod's and also the 04 and newer Sporty's you will see that the front caliper location is identical all across Harley line, they just use an additional bracket to mount the nissan and brembo calipers to the forks. So either caliper is an option for use straight from you Harley accessory catolog for chrome calipers, and replacement pads available at all harley dealers. By the way, I also believe the Sporty nissan caliper uses the same pads as all 00 and newer H-D's  per above post

Does this mean we can use these on the SEEG 05?  If so what is involved in getting them mounted?  If anyone knows I would like to find out as these would be a great addition to the chicken.  JP [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

FastFreddie

• 08 Ultra, 00 FLSTC, XR1000, 48E,01 Deuce
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2005, 10:11:05 AM »

Yes they will mount up. You would need the calipers and caliper mounting brackets. I have seen this done on several glides with the nissan calipers from the sportsters. The Brembo from the V-rod will mount also. Not sure however about the brakelines as I have not checked out whether they are stock H-D or custom lines.

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2005, 03:29:57 PM »

Ok where do I get the brackets? I am willing to give this a shot as the harley logo and brembo combo really look great to me.  Same pads?  Lyndalls are still a better choice or brembo pads as well?  Thanks for you help.  JP [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

FastFreddie

• 08 Ultra, 00 FLSTC, XR1000, 48E,01 Deuce
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 03:35:14 PM »

You just need to look up the part numbers from the 06 V-Rod parts catalog and order the bracket that mounts between the caliper and the fork leg.

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 11:18:40 PM »

Ok well I got a new in the box set of the vrod chrome brembos on ebay for 300 +sh and will call Chitown HD and see what they want for the brackets.  It makes sense that they would fit because the part numbers for the 05 vrod forks and rotors are the same as the 06 vrod and the calipers for 05s fit with tourers as well so the geometry seems like it should work.  There must be a problem here that I have not seen yet as this seems way to easy to get chrome hd/brembos on the chicken.  Anybody know what I am missing here? JP [smiley=banana.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 10:26:46 AM »

My rear's are the workhorse brakes for [highlight]"trick" riding [/highlight]and manuvering in parking lots and the Lyndall puts some real bite in the stock unit.
Hey BLM777......you gone back to dranking heavy,huh?   :-/ Har!  [smiley=beer.gif] spyder
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.