Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To patch or slime  (Read 3319 times)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
To patch or slime
« on: January 02, 2006, 09:03:51 AM »

We all have limited space when we go out of town.  Being a relative newcomer, I would appreciate the feedback from the more experienced among us.  In the event of a flat,  do you carry
1. Plugs and CO2; and if so, what type of kit
2. The can of slime,
3. All of the above, or
3. call for a tow.  
I assume most agree to replace the tire as soon as possible thereafter.  
I searched for a previous thread on this topic but did not see one.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: To patch or slime
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 09:12:35 AM »

Since I purchased the extended warranty with wheel and tire option, and I'm HOG member. I carry my cell phone :) (and hope that I'm at a place where I can get service) and my HOG Touring Handbook.

Will get a tow from HOG, and a free tire (minus deduction) with extended warranty. Before having new bike and this warranty option I had considered the CO2 way, but never acted on it.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 10:23:38 AM »

I'm presently riding on a 'plugged' tire......too frugal (Hubbard would say: 'cheap'....har!) to throw away a almost new rear tire.  If it was a front tire, I'd change it, but......well, everyone has their own thinking on this issue.  Great subject for a thread, though.  :o spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 10:39:27 AM »

My advice would be to plug the tire and then use the slime and also carry C02 in case the slime did not fully inflate. Make sure you get on the road very soon after doin the slime so it spins out into the tire and does not pool in one spot. Have your bike all packed up and ready to roll as soon as you do the slime or you'll have a tire so out of balance you won't be able to ride it. Of course my last flat was a total blow-out at 70 mph and I've yet to figure how to prepare for that in advance. Hubbard - - any lessons learned on ridin out at blow-out other than don't touch the brakes or clutch and hang on till you either stop of have to put it down ?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 11:30:46 AM »

My advice would be to plug the tire and then use the slime and also carry C02 in case the slime did not fully inflate. Make sure you get on the road very soon after doin the slime so it spins out into the tire and does not pool in one spot. Have your bike all packed up and ready to roll as soon as you do the slime or you'll have a tire so out of balance you won't be able to ride it. Of course my last flat was a total blow-out at 70 mph and I've yet to figure how to prepare for that in advance. Hubbard - - any lessons learned on ridin out at blow-out other than don't touch the brakes or clutch and hang on till you either stop of have to put it down ?
Hey Spiderman, my only experience was a one time deal.........back tire.........I did exactly what you said......don't do anything except hang on with the most finese that you've got........experience riding in snow and ice would help.  [smiley=nervous.gif] Har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:51:55 PM »

I bought a small air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter and a plug kit.  It works great (on tubeless tires). They are always in my saddle bag.  Kinda like AX, don't leave home without it.  
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 03:13:55 PM »

I am a Life Member of HOG and I don't leave home without a cell phone and HOG 800 phone number.

Preventive Maintenance is the Key - I know it doesn't solve all issues but I see so many riders riding on worn out skins. My thoughts are a tire is all there is between me and the rode and I want as much rubber as I can get. I change my rear tire every 7,500 to 8,500 miles and the front tire is changed every other rear tire. If I ever have a flat tire a new tire is put back on, no thanks for a patched or plugged tire for me.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 03:23:14 PM »

guess I thought we were talkin about what to do in the middle of nowhere, no dealer for a couple of hundred miles and takin care of business on the road. All of this stuff about preventative maint and tire wear and cell phones etc is great when you're in an area with cell towers.dealers ect, but I think the idea of this thread was to talk about what to do to keep going till you get to a place where you can do it right. Shared experiences help prevent dumbass mistakes. For instance, [highlight]never plug a sidewall ![/highlight]

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »

OK if I can't use my cell phone and call the HOG help desk I will flag the 1st car down or have a riding partner get to the next area where they can and call HOG and get a Tow Truck (Flat Bed) headed in my direction. Now if it happens to be late at night I will make sure my scooter is secured and I will check into a motel and wait for a qualified person to replace my tire the next morning.

I know all of us aren't the same in regards to skills on repairing a bike and that's why I try and do as much preventive maintenance as I can so I don't get in these type of situations.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 07:49:17 AM »

The consensus seems to patch and limp to nearest HD dealer for a replacement tire.  Use the slime only after it is patched and when you are ready to roll so slime does not build up in one place.

Many however would go the cell phone route and wait for help.  
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 11:22:20 AM »

My two cents worth:
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 11:32:18 AM »

As a PS ; something I learned a long time ago from an old Panhead buddy. Take the same amount of time and care doing a roadside repair that you would if the bike was on a lift in your garage. I know this sounds simplistic, but in practice, getting your mind set on taking your time, not rushing, not getting frantic and dealing with a situation in an ordely fashion actually makes roadside repairs a lot less stressful and more importantly reliable. I'm not gonna go so far as to say I enjoy unpackin the tools and fixin stuff with semi's wizzin by at 70 or 80, but as I said, going at it in a positive frame of mind certainly makes it an easier task to deal with.

msscull

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 09:45:18 PM »

I carry the setup by Slime that has a bottle of Slime with a small air compressor.  I got it for about $20 at Pep Boys Auto Parts Store.  I also carry a tire plug kit I bought at Wal-Mart.

I used the compressor to air-up an air mattress I used for camping.  It little slow & loud, but it did the job.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.