Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ticking noise in clutch  (Read 3078 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Ticking noise in clutch
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »

I have about 1000 miles on this bike, and have a slight ticking (rattle) noise coming from the clutch. It sounded like a lifter noise at first, but when I pull in the clutch just enough to take the freeplay out, the noise goes completely away. Have any of you experienced this on your bikes? I have the original fluids in the bike. I will be changing to Redline next weekend. Don't know if that will help, but I will post if it does.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Re: Ticking noise in clutch
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:44:47 PM »

I have about 1000 miles on this bike, and have a slight ticking (rattle) noise coming from the clutch. It sounded like a lifter noise at first, but when I pull in the clutch just enough to take the freeplay out, the noise goes completely away. Have any of you experienced this on your bikes? I have the original fluids in the bike. I will be changing to Redline next weekend. Don't know if that will help, but I will post if it does.
Mine had same noises, took it in and they went into primary and inner primary said everything looked OK and sound went away...at International M/C show/Dallas a MoCo rep that worked on the CVO line said most likely culprit was cam tensioner, supposed to be self adjusting?  Any way clanking went away FWIW. :nixweiss:
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:55:10 AM »

2Harleys, My 09 SEUC has a small rattling noise coming from the primary also.The noise dimishes after the bike gets warmed up. I noticed it when I picked it up new in Sept. 08. Naturally the tech told me it was normal and not to worry about it. I really only hear it at idle.( At first I also thought it was lifter noise ) I changed to redline fluids and I can still hear it at idle, however it doesn't clunk as much when I put it into first gear. I still think the manually adjustable primary tensioners are better. I have one in my 95 Heritage and it makes a lot less noise when I put it into first gear. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:47:44 AM »

2Harleys, My 09 SEUC has a small rattling noise coming from the primary also.The noise dimishes after the bike gets warmed up. I noticed it when I picked it up new in Sept. 08. Naturally the tech told me it was normal and not to worry about it. I really only hear it at idle.( At first I also thought it was lifter noise ) I changed to redline fluids and I can still hear it at idle, however it doesn't clunk as much when I put it into first gear. I still think the manually adjustable primary tensioners are better. I have one in my 95 Heritage and it makes a lot less noise when I put it into first gear. CAHDBIKER
:cherry:

The new style Harley tensioner (wedge) has teeth on it and thus it has a "ratcheting" effect and can and will get pretty tight.  The (ratchet teeth) do NOT allow the tension to back off.   I pulled mine out and went with the hydraulic one from Sohot.  It is virtually the same as the HD one, but does (NOT) have ratchet teeth on it and thus it can (give and take) as the primary oil and parts are cold and/or hot.

Check it out here........

http://www.sohotbikes.com/wedge.html

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:59:53 PM »

I have just 550 miles on my 10 SEUC and it has all of a sudden started really Clacking in neutral at idle. As mentioned in this thread as I pull in the clutch the Clacking goes away. I had just gone on ride and the bike was good and hot. Does the clutch need more bleeding or when I get a 1000 miles on the bike I will be putting redline in it will that quiet down the Clacking? Need good advise(DB) :nixweiss:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »

Ask your service dept how and what makes your self adj tensioner work. Would like to hear the answer after, :2vrolijk_21: since I'm not a "certified" HD tech. It may be malfunctioning.
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:04:43 PM »

I don't know what kinda answer he may get at the Dealership,  but the damn tensioner is (hydraulic),  the primary case (oil) activates the tensioner in the same way a hydraulic lifter in a V8 Chevy works.   :P

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.