Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1999 FXR2 handling  (Read 3245 times)

ken6217

1999 FXR2 handling
« on: July 19, 2010, 01:58:19 PM »

I am looking hard at buying a 1999 FXR2. Will take a ride out of state to give it a ride. Does anyone know how well these bikes handle. I believe the rake is 31 degrees but don't know if there is more too the handling than just the rake.
Any other comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: 1999 FXR2 handling
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »

You'll hear over and over that the FXR was the best handling bike frame ever built by HD.  It is a lot of fun to run.  If you read the history, you see how engineering battled with marketing on making it more appealing versus making it handle better, ground clearance, tire sizes, etc.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

ken6217

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:13:29 PM »

Thanks for your comments.
Ken

91FXR

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 07:39:42 PM »

You'll never regret buying it.

panhead scotty

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:50:40 PM »

Don't expect sportbike or even sportster/FXDX handling with an FXR2 with the stock lowered Fox shocks.  Goes straight over smooth roads fine but drags the stock exhast, pegs and kickstand if ridden not that hard around corners and bottoms easily on potholes and speed bumps.  Swap the short shocks for some quality adjustable 12.5 or 13 inchers and it will handle much better.  I've had 3 FXRs including my current 99 FXR2 and my 94 FXRP police model with the stock long shocks handled the best.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 09:31:32 AM »

I've had my FXR4 since 2000

It's a FINE handling bike, VERY responsive and changes directions with ease

I love the looks of my bike

handling .... would like to have more ground clearance..... when riding hard I find that  I scrape hardware on both sides of the bike .... have at one time scraped the mounting bracket for the exhaust, which unloads the rear wheel.    After that I quit pushing so hard.

HOWEVER, after all that, I still like the way the bike responds, just need to be a bit slower in the twisties because of ground clearance.

besides, I'm getting older too and like to take my time    :2vrolijk_21:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

ken6217

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »

I bought a 1999 FXR2 this past week. It does handle very nicely and is very repsonsive. I too wish there was some more clearance as I have already scraped the foot pegs. All in all I love the bike. I will post pics in a new thread.
Ken

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:26:34 AM »

Ken-

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

FXR'S and handling...................hmmmmmmmmm  This was always the war  between the engineering department and the marketing department FOR SURE...............given results the marketing department was the eventual winner.........the 2's, 3's, and 4's have the lowest laden seat height of all the Harley Davidsons, apx 25.2".

As for riding in corners..........well it handles great, and yes indeed the opportunity does exist that dragging one's pegs is always a "potential" occurance depending on one's aggressiveness ie: riding style............but that's what we have with these bikes being so low..........but it grabs the corners well for sure............as for comfort well it's quite awesome indeed.  In my opinion the 2's and 3's should come with dual discs and they don't.  Myself and Paul are working on that issue currently.  The bike could also benefit from a bit more power.............not much but just a bit more.......doing research on that as well.  Also I personally feel the bike os just a bit more stable with a 19" wheel upfront over the 21" wheel that comes OEM on the FXR2's.

THE FXR PLATFORM is simply incredible for SURE.  Not only did you pick a great bike ie: an FXR, you picked something that isn't available in production any longer so it's special.

Ken enjoy your new found bike, breathe it in......,learn about what you have and every time you get on to ride you will soon come to appreciate the feeling that you are experencing something that the designers and engineers were hoping to accomplish while they were creating the bike, simply that you are on a sport touring bike that you can ride for hours and days at a time only to imagine when and where will your next journey be.

Tim
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:42:49 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Sputnik

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:28:08 PM »

I currently own an FXR 4 in Candy Tangerine and previously had a 92 FXR. I loved the handling of both bikes and the power to weight ratio. I have found that the FXRs ride 95% as well as a bagger. Congrats on your new scoot!

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 05:58:24 PM »

95% as well? ? ? ?

Hmmmmmmmm I own a 2002 Road King Classic and my FXR2 and my FXR2 handles more like 119.777% better than my RKC.  Not only does it handle better it's at par for comfort as well.

Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 06:14:31 PM »

very interesting .......................  8)
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.