Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: Screamin' Eagle Big Twin Compensator  (Read 49416 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Screamin' Eagle Big Twin Compensator
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »

Inner has to be pulled on my '07, but it's not a CVO....the picture put up earlier in this thread shows a relief where the rotor slids out, mine actually had a rise there.....weird.

The install PDF for this kit says nothing about removing he inner.  Sounds like you guys are witnessing some casting variation.  Isn't that precious....

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J04825.pdf

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »

The install PDF for this kit says nothing about removing he inner.  Sounds like you guys are witnessing some casting variation.  Isn't that precious....

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J04825.pdf

I don't think it was just a variation in the casting, it was a deliberate lip, where the one pic'd earlier in this thread is a deliberate recess/relief.  I'd consider a variation to be maybe a random thickness change or something similiar.  I wish I had taken pics...I will when I open it up again.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2010, 09:59:35 PM »

I don't think it was just a variation in the casting, it was a deliberate lip, where the one pic'd earlier in this thread is a deliberate recess/relief.  I'd consider a variation to be maybe a random thickness change or something similiar.  I wish I had taken pics...I will when I open it up again.

That's strange too.  Can't think of any reason to make it more involved to disassemble.  Doing so wouldn't make line assembly any different or easier.  Wonder if there's a revision on the inner primary's part number somewhere between 07 and now?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »

That's strange too.  Can't think of any reason to make it more involved to disassemble.  Doing so wouldn't make line assembly any different or easier.  Wonder if there's a revision on the inner primary's part number somewhere between 07 and now?

There's not...  This has to be a casting variation or machining error....   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2010, 10:33:36 PM »

There's not...  This has to be a casting variation or machining error....   :nixweiss:

Maybe multiple suppliers with slightly different molds and final machinings?  Both parts functional for line assembly so Harley never notices the difference.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »

Well,   here is the lip that the stator ring wont clear. 

And check out the incredible difference between the springs of the Factory compensator still in the stator ring and the springs from the SE unit not yet installed.  Literally twice as big.

And here are all the pieces with the SE unit on the paper and the stock unit on the left.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »

Yup, thats what mine looked like also......how many gaskets did ya need for the inner???  Guess I need to start collecting them.....

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2010, 08:01:42 PM »

I guess they figured the 07 CVO's  were going to need this later so they gave us the clearance since we were going to have plenty of issues already to deal with. :huepfenlol2:

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »

Yup, thats what mine looked like also......how many gaskets did ya need for the inner???  Guess I need to start collecting them.....

I'm not sure about the 07 and 08 but the inner primary hardware is alot better on the 09's than on the 06 and prior. The bolts use a oring seal and also the starter uses an oring as opposed to the oil seal.  The gasket between the engine and inner is a much more substantial piece than the little oring that use to be there.
But to answer your question, you'll need the gasket between your engine and inner and an oring for your starter. And thats ME assuming your 07 is like the 09.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »

Should have the SE Comp sprocket this week, I know from other 07 -08-09 that the inner will have to come off to remove the rotor.  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »

I'm not sure about the 07 and 08 but the inner primary hardware is alot better on the 09's than on the 06 and prior. The bolts use a oring seal and also the starter uses an oring as opposed to the oil seal.  The gasket between the engine and inner is a much more substantial piece than the little oring that use to be there.
But to answer your question, you'll need the gasket between your engine and inner and an oring for your starter. And thats ME assuming your 07 is like the 09.

The inner case to engine case gasket is more substantial than the old o-ring and the bolts have their own seal (they're also a one time use bolt so if you remove them for some reason you're supposed to throw them away and buy more).  Those things on the old system never gave any problem though.  So different and more substantial isn't necessarily a performance improvement.  The starter sealing and removal system is a lot easier to work with though. 

The starters themselves seem to be giving a bit more problem.  But at least they're a lot easier to get in and out.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »

Will a diegrinder take care of that lip wnd still seal ?

And check out the incredible difference between the springs of the Factory compensator still in the stator ring and the springs from the SE unit not yet installed.  Literally twice as big.

And here are all the pieces with the SE unit on the paper and the stock unit on the left.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »

Will a diegrinder take care of that lip wnd still seal ?

I was close to trying it but didn't want all the grinding metal to clean out.....

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »

Thanks to you all!!!

Mine is done and it is a HUGE difference during start.  I would not have believed changing the compensator was going to have such a dramatic difference in the way the bike starts.

I feel like my new starter has a chance at lasting now.

My dealer really stepped up on this one, and they did need to remove the inner primary to get it done.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2010, 12:40:40 PM »

My dealer really stepped up on this one, and they did need to remove the inner primary to get it done.

Wow,   I'd like to know how they managed that.

Finally got to ride mine the other day after the switch,   quite a difference.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 21 queries.