Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: HD dealers complaining about low inventories  (Read 4366 times)

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
Re: HD dealers complaining about low inventories
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 05:22:31 PM »

How does that relate to low inventories?  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:18:11 AM by Wheelsnkeels »
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 05:40:12 PM »

...if parts constantly need to be taken off bikes on the factory line then fewer bike are shipped.. ??  One month (so far) is not right tho'   :nixweiss:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »

Crazy Stuff  :o
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Tabatha

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »

I suppose ,much like the lottery, every once in a while somebody gets lucky with H.D. "customer service" ! Wonder what the ratio of good luck to being shirked may be,again, sort of like hitting the lottery !
Harley controls its inventory and "we" get to pay $300.00 an hour plus for an attorney. Makes sense to me ! :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:40:01 AM by Tabatha »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 08:45:46 AM »

I suppose ,much like the lottery, every once in a while somebody gets lucky with H.D. "customer service" ! Wonder what the ratio of good luck to being shirked may be,again, sort of like hitting the lottery !
Harley controls its inventory and "we" get to pay $300.00 an hour plus for an attorney. Makes sense to me ! :nixweiss:

I may be the exception to the rule.  I've been riding since the early 70s and I think anybody that's been riding as long as I have will tell you that the quality of the bikes today vs. those built in the 60s and 70s is remarkably higher.  I also believe that while there are a number of those that are not happy with their bikes (or BMWs or whatever make and model of vehicle), I think that those that are happy far out weigh the number of those that are not happy.  Having said that, I realize that doesn't help the person that's going through hell trying to get issues resolved on their bike and I empathize.  I've read the BMW motorcycle forums and the Goldwing forums and we certainly don't have a monopoly on those that are unhappy with their bikes.

By the way, you don't pay an attorney for lemon law..........if they don't collect for you (and you have to accept the deal that they work out or it goes to trial), they don't get paid. :2vrolijk_21:  It's really much easier than anybody would think.

As for low inventory......my memory is mostly that you walk into a dealership and put down a deposit and wait from three to six months for your bike.  That was the norm for most of my life.  Now days, you walk in and the floors look more like a car lot with multiple choices of colors in each model (except the CVOs and I certainly don't want the market flooded with CVOs!).  What's all the whinning about? :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:49:49 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »

You asked for possible solutions earlier.  Here's a surefire solution; STOP BUYING THEIR STUFF!  It does absolutely no good to complain to them, or to anyone else, if they know you will still keep handing them big piles of money for subpar products and customer service.  They, and many of their dealers, still have that attitude from the last decade that basically said they could and would do whatever they pleased and if you don't like it tough chit.  Until their sales drop far enough to offset the cost cutting (jobs) moves they've made to appease the shareholders, and they start showing huge losses, I don't think bitching to them, or on one of the many internet forums, or even in courtrooms across the country, will make much difference.  They need to sweep out the entrenched management with the old attitude and reinvent the company.  It won't happen as long as people continue to accept chitty products and service.  I don't know how many times I've been tempted to tell someone they are a total idiot when they come on the site to tell us they finally fixed all the many things wrong with their bike, by trading it in on a new version.  In other words, pay Harley and the dealer another big pile of money because they didn't/wouldn't fix the previous POS.  Yup, that really gives them an incentive to do things right.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »

I do not know about in other states, But in Pennsylvania the "Lemon Law" for motorcycles is just a Myth......
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »

love my bike, hate having to spend money to fix it after only three years...will be fixing the jug issue myself when I get the money together, but can at least ride it with the "band aid" head gasket repair for awhile.

Would I buy another Harley? If I had the expendable income, I would most certainly buy another one (and keep the one I got)

Do I think they shirk their responsibility? Yes...but so do most American manufacturers-but look at the example the Gubbermint sets...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »

You asked for possible solutions earlier.  Here's a surefire solution; STOP BUYING THEIR STUFF!  It does absolutely no good to complain to them, or to anyone else, if they know you will still keep handing them big piles of money for subpar products and customer service.  They, and many of their dealers, still have that attitude from the last decade that basically said they could and would do whatever they pleased and if you don't like it tough chit.  Until their sales drop far enough to offset the cost cutting (jobs) moves they've made to appease the shareholders, and they start showing huge losses, I don't think bitching to them, or on one of the many internet forums, or even in courtrooms across the country, will make much difference.  They need to sweep out the entrenched management with the old attitude and reinvent the company.  It won't happen as long as people continue to accept chitty products and service.  I don't know how many times I've been tempted to tell someone they are a total idiot when they come on the site to tell us they finally fixed all the many things wrong with their bike, by trading it in on a new version.  In other words, pay Harley and the dealer another big pile of money because they didn't/wouldn't fix the previous POS.  Yup, that really gives them an incentive to do things right.
Jerry

So tell us how you really feel about it, Jerry. :huepfenlol2:

On the serious side.....for many of them, I think you said it best in your fourth sentence.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

My Bagg

• Ferguson, Harley Ferguson
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Red FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 09:19:04 PM »

You asked for possible solutions earlier.  Here's a surefire solution; STOP BUYING THEIR STUFF!  It does absolutely no good to complain to them, or to anyone else, if they know you will still keep handing them big piles of money for subpar products and customer service.  They, and many of their dealers, still have that attitude from the last decade that basically said they could and would do whatever they pleased and if you don't like it tough chit.  Until their sales drop far enough to offset the cost cutting (jobs) moves they've made to appease the shareholders, and they start showing huge losses, I don't think bitching to them, or on one of the many internet forums, or even in courtrooms across the country, will make much difference.  They need to sweep out the entrenched management with the old attitude and reinvent the company.  It won't happen as long as people continue to accept chitty products and service.  I don't know how many times I've been tempted to tell someone they are a total idiot when they come on the site to tell us they finally fixed all the many things wrong with their bike, by trading it in on a new version.  In other words, pay Harley and the dealer another big pile of money because they didn't/wouldn't fix the previous POS.  Yup, that really gives them an incentive to do things right.

Jerry

Right on the money and hey when they fail maybe a Government bailout? :o

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »

Caveat Emptor  is the ruling theme now-a-days !That is not new, it has always been the theme!  What has happened to a "real" warranty ? How did "we" , the buying public allow any company to evade the performance of such an obligation ? Forums are full of H.D. shirking warranty issues everyday ! Most of us have been party to/or at least witnessed this phenomenon. We should not have trouble enforcing the very document that exists solely to prevent a disruption of use with our very expensive  Harley Davidson motorcycles !First, I should not be so "preachy" but the document you refer to is a legal document that takes on different meanings in different states (statutes) that document does not prevent the loss of use or does it imply such a thing, it states simply if this fails , the company will take this action, time frames are not spelled out or mentioned. Now it is in the interest of the company to perform, otherwise you offend to many of your customers. The course of action Legal is that you can prove the failure falls into the parameters and the Company has not lived up to their obligation then you have a case. This is usually expensive to take on relative to the actual fix. Company's know this, does it make it right? no but knowing your legal standing is helpful.   What is the MoCo getting away with ; what are they really selling ; how do we as humble buyers stand up for our rights;That is a real easy question to answer....do not buy the product) can they really manipulate markets ; can they really defraud us, Defraud? now that is a strong adjective!the modest American consumer ? :-\ I work too hard on a daily basis in an attempt to earn my money , to allow any one company to relieve me of that cash without some type of consideration !You have relieved yourself of cash and in consideration was given a motorcycle plain and simple. I bet most all of the readers here feel that same way after a days work !
................Anybody have any solutions ? Seems as though us poor working commoners in an attempt to entertain ourselves have created a corporate monster ! A monster with seemingly few checks and balances ! :-XThe checks and balances are what you call the marketplace.
OK,OK I've said all that Iam going to , about this subject---hope there is something to be done ! :coolblue:Yes, do not buy!

I do not mind bashing the MOCO for their short sided planning, but I will neither subscribe to " I want what I want when I want it attitude either"

I know we have all had issues at one time or another with some product, and the ultimate choice of showing your displeasure is the marketplace,  You do not like it, do not buy it.
This simply forces change in itself,  the company finds new customers, the company improves it's products or the company goes out of business.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:29:22 AM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

wolfman

• Senior CVO Member
  • serg
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 02:43:04 PM »

Wow! Guess I really stirred it up. :2vrolijk_21:
SERT, V&H Power Duels, SE mufflers, Dyno-tuned , Heavy Breather, Corbin Solo , windsplitter windshield , J&M 250w amp/7.25" speakers.

Markum

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTP
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »

My bike has been at the Harley Dealership going on five weeks waiting for a part. I just want my bike back so I can ride it again before the snow starts to fly again. I don't think that's asking for alot.
With the right tools, anything is possible.

Wheelsnkeels

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »

At the very least a "Loaner"
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

Tabatha

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »

Jerry
   You silver tongued devil. Sounds like a perfect key to show those guys at Harley whos the boss !
Do you really think that our society is cohesive enough to pull it off ? Harley apparently counts on just exactly what you defined ! Real life "wants" and no real alternatives to the Harley "phenomenon".
............"They, and many of their dealers, still have that attitude from the last decade that basically said they could and would do whatever they pleased and if you don't like it tough chit."
--------They may be correct !
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.575 seconds with 21 queries.