Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: IPOD Interface  (Read 10286 times)

07SEUC_KC

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE6
IPOD Interface
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »

In Short I bought an FLHTCUSE6 this week. Also added and Ipod interface. Dealers called and said it will not work on 2011 CVO"s. Is this correct? Specifically Ultra's
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:48:57 PM by 07SEUC_KC »

get2

• TN

Re: IPOD Interface
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:04:07 PM »

Yes, so far on the ipod, if you get it working let me know.  Also, the garmin audio did not work, but local hd found  a y cable to get operating.

Best bike and no ipod?

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:51:49 AM »

In Short I bought an FLHTCUSE6 this week. Also added and Ipod interface. Dealers called and said it will not work on 2011 CVO"s. Is this correct? Specifically Ultra's

It will work, but the wiring information supplied with the iPod kit needs to be changed slightly because your bike's wiring is different than a non-CVO model.  I've included links to the iPod installation kit, the wiring diagram for your bike (see reply #3 in that link), and the solution for installing XM on an SESG2 because although the accessories are different the solution is the same which is to provide the electrical circuit provided by connector 6 on a non-CVO.

iPod interface module installation instructions:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05168.pdf

Wiring diagram; see reply #3:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53364.0

XM solution for SESG2

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=56722.15

It's late so I'll add to this reply later.  The ipod interface module will work on your bike with a minor modification to the wiring.

Carl
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:11:31 AM by Harleypingman »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:26:05 AM »

The iPod interface module needs 7 wires connected to function:  CAN +, CAN -, power, ground, ipod right, ipod left, and ipod shield.  The latter three are done by connecting the module's harness to the 35 wire harness already on your bike.  If you check the wiring diagram for your bike, you'll see that chambers 8, 19, and 31 are not used; they'll be used when the wiring from the ipod harness is connected to them.

The ipod power, ground, and CAN + and - would normally be supplied via connector 6 using the ipod harness, but since your connector 6 is not compatible with the connector 6A supplied with the kit, you simply need to tap those wires in your connector 6:  CAN + = yellow/orange wire, slot 1; CAN - = yellow/violet wire, slot 2; power = red/orange wire, slot 3; and, ground = black/green wire, slot 6 to the iPod harness.

I'm not a tech or audio guy, and I haven't done this particular install.  But I have studied the wiring on these bikes and confirmed that this approach works on the SESG2 for XM, and you are experiencing the same problem with the wiring connector that is encountered with the SESG2, so the same solution is provided here but in a modified form since the accessory is the iPod module and not the XM module.

Carl

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »

Carl

Does the CVO RG use a differant connector than the UC? Is there some easy parts swapping there?
      Just wondering.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 10:40:42 PM »

You raise an excellent point regarding the '11 CVO RGU; it has the same head unit as the CUSE6.  So, replicating the wiring found in a CVO RGU for the ipod interface module on the CUSE6 would allow the ipod to work on the CUSE6.  

A comparison of the two wiring diagrams shows that chambers 8, 19, and 31 are used on the CVO RGU for the ipod (as they are on the SESG2 and on non-CVO bikes that add the ipod module), and are empty on the CUSE6.  And, if you look at the ipod connector (274B) on the CVO RG, it uses the seven wires identified in my earlier post.

The connector 6 on both bikes appears to be the same; the differences are the Harman Kardon radio pin outs (connector 28) used by the two models for their respective modules.  Those pin outs are unique/dedicated to the specific module; the CAN + and - are shared for XM, CB, NIM, and iPod--those "tell" the HK that those modules/functions are present; and the power and ground are common, as well.

The radio will accommodate the accessory, but HD doesn't supply a plug and play harness for that application as it does for non-CVO bikes.

Carl

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:09:57 AM by Harleypingman »

07SEUC_KC

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »

Carl

Thanks for your information. Dealer tells me just use the GPS MP3 function for music. I do not want to use that option. I hopefully a fix will come. Also found out the my J&M CFRG-HURC cell phone integration kit will not work either with the 11.5 CVO. So needing a fix for a cell option also. The J&M worked excellent on my 07

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »

I should have suggested that you call back the dealer who told you the iPod interface module "will not work" on your CUSE6, and remind him that it works on the '11 CVO RGU and the '11 SESG2 which have the same radio that your bike has, so why won't it work on your bike.  It would be interesting to have the dealer's explanation.

I can imagine that before the dealer called and said the iPod "won't work" on your bike, that a tech with your work order in hand for installing the iPod interface module pulled your outer fairing and discovered the the connector 6 on your bike (that the iPod interface module harness uses) is a 16 wire connector (the same as the CVO RGU) and not the 6 wire connector used on non-CVO Electra Glides.  At that point, the tech could either get the wiring diagrams and do a bit of studying to figure out how to replicate the wiring on the CVO RGU which has the iPod module OEM from the factory and adapt the kit to work on your bike, or simply go back to the service writer/manager and truthfully say the iPod module kit from the factory won't work on the CUSE6.

If you're interested in adding the iPod module, give Tony a call at Iron Cross Audio and see what he has to say.

Carl 

Ziploc

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:30:05 PM »

Bought my 2011.5 from Las Vegas HD.  Had them install the iPod interface prior to delivery.  Works as advertised; can control both my iPod and iPhone from the front using either the stereo or hand controls.  I can't tell you exactly how they did it, but your dealer can call there if they have questions on how to make it all work.

cobaltcvo11

• CVO1: 2011.5 SEUC Twilight/Cobalt
    • CVO2: 1997 FLHTCUI Burned in house fire 2010
    • Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 01:18:21 AM »

This really tweeks me. I wanted various playlists on long rides for my boom audio bike system, so I pre-bought my first ever I-pod just for my CVO because it had the pouch in the saddlebag lid for it. So the dealer ordered the module and cable . After my dealer spent an hour dismantling the fairing they said the CVO Ultra could not have the module because of the zumo. So I read this post and asked my dealer to do the plug wire mod. They informed me that it would void my entire electrical warranty as per HD Headquarters. Having spent tall cash on the extended 7 year warranty I'm not even going to jeopardize that. Once again I bought the best just to find out something else I cant have. Oh yea, I can stick a frigging cable in the front of my radio and jam the Ipod in a pouch of my 40,000.00 bike.
So I guess that the Las Vegas dealer voided the last posters warranty.
The older I get, The cooler I was

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »

This really tweeks me. I wanted various playlists on long rides for my boom audio bike system, so I pre-bought my first ever I-pod just for my CVO because it had the pouch in the saddlebag lid for it. So the dealer ordered the module and cable . After my dealer spent an hour dismantling the fairing they said the CVO Ultra could not have the module because of the zumo. So I read this post and asked my dealer to do the plug wire mod. They informed me that it would void my entire electrical warranty as per HD Headquarters. Having spent tall cash on the extended 7 year warranty I'm not even going to jeopardize that. Once again I bought the best just to find out something else I cant have. Oh yea, I can stick a frigging cable in the front of my radio and jam the Ipod in a pouch of my 40,000.00 bike.
So I guess that the Las Vegas dealer voided the last posters warranty.

Some dealers will do the mod to make the customer happy since they know it works, some dealers just simply do not want to be bothered and will use the "it voids the warranty" or "it does not work" excuse.

Ziploc

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »

In addition to the iPod connection, I had the dealer install a few other parts prior to delivery (HID lights, Boom audio).  They told me everything was still covered by my warranty (which I also extended) because they were installed by them and on the bike prior to delivery.  Since you've already taken delivery, your dealer may be correct.

On my previous bikes, though, my local dealers always stood by their work.

cobaltcvo11

• CVO1: 2011.5 SEUC Twilight/Cobalt
    • CVO2: 1997 FLHTCUI Burned in house fire 2010
    • Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »

Today I went to another dealer who said they would do the job, and kind of turn a blind eye to the mod should some future electric problem occur. Of course now the module I had a week ago is now back ordered for 3 weeks. Ha.
The older I get, The cooler I was

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 04:31:51 PM »

Glad to hear you found a more accommodating dealer.

If you think to do so, ask where the IPOD module will be mounted.  The XM and CB module are mounted on top of the radio, so it would be helpful to know where the Ipod module is mounted.

Carl

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 11:31:19 PM »

Today I went to another dealer who said they would do the job, and kind of turn a blind eye to the mod should some future electric problem occur. Of course now the module I had a week ago is now back ordered for 3 weeks. Ha.

I don't know if there's a dfference between a 2010 and 11 but I just had this installed on my 10. Local dealer had the part in stock and said it wouldn't be a problem. Called me back in 2 hrs and said to come pick up the bike. Works great and no problems so far. Mike, the tech who did it, said it was an easy install.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.