Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: COMPENSATOR ABUSE???  (Read 37430 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: COMPENSATOR ABUSE???
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »

Usually but not always. I'm thinking about changing the chain tensioner as well.

BigLew

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »

I'm with BigLew,  my first compensator went 41,400 miles, that was the stock unit in the 08 SERK.  The rest of the primary was junk due to all the metal circulating in there, even the clutch hub was toast.  I rode that bike hard in those days but issues were minor, when I broke a belt on July 4Th a few years ago I decided to stop the burnouts, wheelies and fast starts.

Compensators were continually failing, when I had the S&S 124 installed the compensators still continued to fail.  Today I'm on my 6Th compensator!  2 were on warranty but I had to install all but one of them.  The current one has 4,500 miles on it and still sounds OK but we all know they can fail fast.  At this point why spend more money on other items when the compensator has become a disposable item, similar to a rear tire.  Since I like to ride hard when I can my rear tires last between 4,500 & 5,500 add a few more thousand miles and I have to put in another compensator.  Obviously this is far more complicated for Harley than some us are lead to believe because of all the revisions.  The fact is most companies would be embarrassed about this issue.   I have a procedure and a plan to try to make theses last longer but that will be for another time.   I'll start a new post called "Ideas on How to make the Compensator Last"

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »

Boy Ray do I ever understand. I on the other hand don't ride that hard. But because of the extra power and the procharger I don't even have an option on another brand of compensator. Frank (Drago) was telling me that procharger send Baker a PTO unit to see if they could come up with a fix. I also read that I need to get rid of the SE chain tensioner. That it keeps the primary chain too tight. Maybe go to the manual adjustment part?

BigLew

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2015, 07:29:03 PM »

BigLew,

I'm not sure there is a better aftermarket compensator on the market yet, but I do know that what ever is used will require better oil flow to the compensator.  The Compensaver that Steve @ GMR makes is very popular on another Forum with lots of guys running it in their S&S 124's and larger motors.  I agree with going back to the original manual chain tensioner and if you are worried about it ratcheting to tight you can weld it where it's supposed to be in spec.   I tried the Hayden but it didn't hold up to the 124.  Hopefully this issue will be solved shortly but we have all been waiting for a solution for some time now.  Like I said before it prevents me from making any purchases for the bike knowing that this could go and take some casualties as well. 

Lets hope a solution will be available soon.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2015, 03:43:21 AM »

Is that clunk on cold start up?   That is when my cluck is the loudest.     :nixweiss:

Stu, The clunks happened sporadically on start up and shut down;  wouldn't happen every time, but kept getting worse, and it didn't matter if it was hot or cold. What really started bothering me was the driveline "slop".  It was like having a loose, rattly chain on one of those old 10 speed bikes, but louder and more embarrassing.  Rolling the throttle off and on while traveling at speed or on hills sounded like something metal was loose and about to fall off. 

Using the BDL compensator has pretty much eliminated all of that.

Dan

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2015, 03:58:27 AM »

BigLew,

I'm not sure there is a better aftermarket compensator on the market yet, but I do know that what ever is used will require better oil flow to the compensator.  The Compensaver that Steve @ GMR makes is very popular on another Forum with lots of guys running it in their S&S 124's and larger motors.  I agree with going back to the original manual chain tensioner and if you are worried about it ratcheting to tight you can weld it where it's supposed to be in spec.   I tried the Hayden but it didn't hold up to the 124.  Hopefully this issue will be solved shortly but we have all been waiting for a solution for some time now.  Like I said before it prevents me from making any purchases for the bike knowing that this could go and take some casualties as well. 

Lets hope a solution will be available soon.

Why don't you try the BDL?  The big reason people here don't want to try the BDL is because of the supposedly fragile stock HD crankshaft, which isn't an issue with the S&S 124.  So far it's been a very good replacement for me.

I have no ulterior motive for giving the BDL comp a positive review, except that I'm very happy with it so far.  And I'd really like to hear feedback from others who've tried it.

Dan

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2015, 11:24:50 AM »

lilcoot,

If this compensator fails as quickly as the others I will seriously consider the BDL.  You are right on the S&S having a more robust crankshaft.  How many miles do you have on the BDL you are running now?  Did you do any other changes in the primary such as a different chain adjuster?  Hope your problems are solved and thanks for your input on the BDL.  Like it or not a good majority of us will require a compensator or two.  Any info is really helpful.

Thanks 

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »

I was thinking that the starter could be it,,,   I switched it for a new one,,,   I think mine was getting tired as well.   I talked to the dealer and I was told that the new and improved compensator should do it,,   I left the bike at the dealer today,,,  I might be able to get it covered under the extended service plan.  I'll see how it goes,,,Stuart

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2015, 06:36:07 PM »

Ray,

I've had the BDL in for 15,000 miles.  So far, so good.  I also use the Hayden chain tensioner.

Big Lew and tennisman both mentioned that the new SE comp still has problems.  That's disappointing to hear.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2015, 09:39:26 AM »

My problem so I hear is that since I have the procharger nothing else will work but the SE part. A little bird told me that Baker is working on a fix?? I also heard that the SE manual tensioner is the way to go. DOn't know much about the Hayden piece but the current SE upgrade keeps the chain to tight?

BigLew

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »

There has to be at least 3 well known companies working on compensator replacements.  I have the latest HD SE revision (4,800 miles) but when I installed it I didn't see anything that would indicated the problem was solved.  The amount of wear and galling on the sprocket & hub as well as the tight spaces tell me it needs additional lubrication and a better overall product consisting of better materials and a better design.  I have seen photos of the Primo Rivera product which can drop the front sprocket down in teeth along with a shorter chain and an overlay over the tensioner shoe.  This seems to be widely used by some members of the HTT Forum.  I have all winter for someone to come up with a solution.  I'm sure there are plenty of readers on all the forums that have wondered just how much effort and money will it take to put a primary together that will hold up to some semi aggressive riding for long periods of time.  many fail on owners that do not ride hard.  One of the problems is the Moco not taking this serious because they don't really have to, the other is we are pushing more HP & TQ on a complete system that was not designed to handle the power increase without allot of maintenance.  I have already done the 30 tooth sprocket a long time ago but I had hoped the S&S 124 with the 640 cams would have pushed more to the left on the HP &TQ,  I wanted the 585's and I thought I was getting the 585's but I ended up with the 640's so with that said dropping the gearing might just be what I need.     

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2015, 03:02:53 PM »

My 2 cents...

For those of you that have seen my Build Thread  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=91650.0  you know that longevity / minimal pms in a "Sport Touring" platform were the primary goals...

After 24k mi. on the Build (44k on all components in the Primary except the Compensator) with no issues;

Auto Chain Tensioner; after speaking with some Reputable Builders, reading between the lines on some Forums, and knowing some Buds that have had issues with the Aftermarket offerings, I decided to retain the stock auto tensioner, with some minor adjustments to my riding style. Since the play in the Primary Chain is measured (more slack when)cold, I don't give any aggressive throttle, and more importantly, no engine braking until the drivetrain is up to full operating temperature, thinking the operating temperature is key here, as the chain slack is taken up thermally and the auto tensioner will not ratchet up to (over) adjust the chain too tight. When winding through the gears at the limiter, I will upshift when slowing, instead of just chopping the throttle at higher RPMs. No real aggressive downshifting,  using a combination of (mild) engine braking / brakes to slow the bike in all conditions, (after reaching full operating temp). No Lugging, ever. No "riding the cams" at lower RPMs (I love the way the bike sounds, but the chain slap can't be good)
Upon inspections at around 10k and 20k, the Primary Chain remains properly adjusted (not too tight).

Compensator; 'had the 2013 "generation" Comp installed at Build time, the OE Comp was fine at 20k, but since we were going through the whole bike, I was trying to get a free upgrade to the Rushmore Comp out of the GM at my Dealer, since the OE Comp was good, the best I could get out of him was "I have one of the last generation Comps (the one before the Rushmore, without the oiling tray), nib that I'll throw in there for you". My thoughts are pretty much the same as above, full operating temperature being key, I feel that lugging and aggressive downshifting, (aggressive engine braking) over tightening of the Primary Chain, greatly contribute to premature wear / failure of the Compensators...

Granted, I don't do burnouts, or clutch the bike to wheelie, but I will take her through the gears upshifting WOT on the limiter at least once every ride...

I run HD Formula+ in the Primary.

Big Lew, other than altering my riding style as above, I don't have much for you, as I don't know how the loading of the Procharger affects the Primary  :nixweiss:  I do think that the oiling trays (GMR Compensaver and HD's newest style Rushmore) have merit, and will go in that direction when the Comp in my '09 craps out. Steve at GMR seems to be working on the Comps with different spring / shim set-ups, he might have a recommendation for that Monster of yours...   

JMHO, your results may vary...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2015, 03:08:35 PM »

I thinks that's worth more than $.02.

BigLew

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »

I thinks that's worth more than $.02.

BigLew

Can I get a $.03 ?? lol
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »

Maybe a Miller Lite!

BigLew
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.