Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Clunking Gears  (Read 11778 times)

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Clunking Gears
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »

I have a 2012 SG and this is my first 110ci, the gears seem a lot more clunky than my 2008 Fatboy although I can remember when the Fatboy was new and still looks like new the gears did clunk but not as much as the SG.
Could this be due to the 20W50 Synthetic oil?

Bike has 125klms on the clock.
I needed to move her so I start her up pull the clutch in and knock her into first and with a loud clunk in first it engages, didn't like the sound when it dropped into gear but nothing I could have done about it as that's the way these 6 speeds are (clunky). Rode about 30 feet, put in neutral and noticed it was a little noisy in the primary.
Didn't hear it before so I pulled the clutch in leaving it in neutral and the noise goes away. (Although maybe it was like that before and I didn't notice it).

Went for a ride and didn't notice anything different, rode like normal.
Clunk could have been a one off I hope! Had me worried for a little while.

When I roll bike without engine running I can hear a sound like the chain rolling through the sprocket teeth but only in one spot. (Like chain links tapping on sprocket as they become into contact if you know what I mean).

I am thinking of chain stretch or something in one spot?

Could this be possible?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:55:37 PM by Aussie »

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Clunk
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »

Hate to sound like a dealer but, it sounds normal. You can try to reset the primary chain adjuster and that may help with the rattle in neutral. Do that by backing the bike up about twenty feet with the engine off and then start it and ride it normally for a short distance, about a mile, that will reset the adjuster.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Clunking Gears
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »

Hate to sound like a dealer but, it sounds normal. You can try to reset the primary chain adjuster and that may help with the rattle in neutral. Do that by backing the bike up about twenty feet with the engine off and then start it and ride it normally for a short distance, about a mile, that will reset the adjuster.
Haven't heard of adjusting the tensioner like that before. I was told to ride it with a bit of throttle and adjuster will take up the slack. But will give it a go, can't hurt anything.

I started this thread because there has been a few comments on gears clunking for first time harley owners, but this was a CLUNK sounded like hitting a bit of steel with a hammer.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:37:27 PM by Aussie »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:01:09 AM »

The main reason for the big clunk when you first put the bike into gear is the fact that the input shaft is still spinning fairly fast.  The clutch doesn't release completely, especially right after firing up a cold engine, so you get a big clunk as the spinning gear engages the stationary gear.  Hopefully the clutch drag will improve with some miles, and with a better lubricant in the primary.  Try this little experiment to prove out what I'm saying.  Fire the bike up, pull in the clutch and blip the throttle quickly, let it idle for at least five seconds with the clutch lever still pulled in completely, then engage first gear.  I'll bet you the clunk will be much less severe, or not there at all.

As for the rattle in neutral at idle with the clutch engaged, good luck with that.  Harley is calling it normal in a bulletin they sent out to the dealers.  Big surprise.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:01:20 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »

Aussie,try switching to Redline Shockproof in the tranny.The syn 3 is a motor oil and shouldnt be in the trans.The Redline sticks a little better to the gears and doesnt get thrown off as easily as the slippery motor oil.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »

This will improve with more miles on the bike and the clutch plates get the high spots worn off.

Using the Redline Shockproof in the tranny will make a significant difference in smoothness and in finding neutral.  Or that has been my experience, at least.  I also use Redline MTL in the primary, and some folks run automatic transmission fluid in the primary.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »

I agree with the 20w40 being an engine oil and gear oil should be used in the transmission but don't want to give the dealer an excuse should a warranty issue arises.
I run the Spectro 6 speed transmission oil in my 08 Fatboy and the gears slip in nicely at times you don't hear any clunk at all just a click as the gears mesh.
So I will be changing out to a gear oil first service but will get the dealer to put it in this time round.

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »

Aussie,try switching to Redline Shockproof in the tranny.The syn 3 is a motor oil and shouldnt be in the trans.The Redline sticks a little better to the gears and doesnt get thrown off as easily as the slippery motor oil.

What he said!
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »

+1 on the Redline shockproof oil. This stuff will make a huge difference! It really quites down the tranny!!!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 07:22:43 PM »

IMO Good advice. My road king had the clunk and those model transmissions had the 5th gear whine also. Redline in the transmission and primary really helped. I will say that it took time to see the results. Perhaps there was some wear involved too. Maggie shifts like silk now though!
Good Luck!
RETIRED! :fireman:

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »

Switch to a Baker !

You can run Budweiser derived urine in it and it will still shift smoother & quieter than and H-D trans.....just sayin'

:2vrolijk_21:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

charlie

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »

+1 on the Redline shockproof oil. This stuff will make a huge difference! It really quites down the tranny!!!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

What weight oil on the redline?

ozrider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 07:58:57 PM »

Well Aussie, you've probably got a few K's up now, so how's it going?

As said above, it will take a few K's to run everything in and wear a few of the high spots off.

After all of that, (mine took about 2000 K's before I was happy enough to start changing things) and things start to move freely and the nois department settles down, you can start thinking a little more seriously about lubricants.

For what it's worth, I'm of the opinion that engine oil was made for engines, and gear oil was made for gearboxes, hence, I'm fine with a 20 W 50 synthetic in the donk, but why run an engine oil in Primary and gear box when there are way more sophisticated lubricants out there that are made for the job.

I run the Nulon street and track high performance synthetic gear oil in the tranny, find that the 75/90 is doing the trick quite nicely at the moment, may go for the 75/140 during hot summer, will see.
The primary also has special needs with that old tractor chain method of transferring drive, and the clutch plates all in there together.
The compensator and chain need all the protection they can get, so a top end synthetic heavy weight is good, just so long as the friction modifiers are of the type that screw clutch friction plates.
One blend I have had more than pleasing results with is to run the Nulon Synthetic 20 W 50 with 100 mills of the G 70 heavy duty supplement.
Fixes a lot of noises, provides excellent protection for comp and chain but without any detrimental effects on the clutch.
I'm pretty fussy when it comes to how my Harleys run and sound, so have done a fare bit of research on what lubricants I use and it's paid off with sweet sounding donks, primarys, and to some folks amazement, quiet and smooth transmission operation.
It can be achieved.

Good luck Mate, Happy Trails.

Win Lotto, Go back to Sturgis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Never go home!

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 01:18:19 AM »

All HD touring models sound more clunky when shifting than softails do. It's the nature of the touring beast. I remember riding a softy for the first time and thinking how quiet it shifted. There is a difference betwen rubber mounted motors and counter balanced motors.          

Hello there, it's been our experience that there is indeed a "clunk" into gear with the Harley's especially the newer models with the changed primary (2007-up). We've found that there are quite a few reasons for this "clunk" in the years (since 1989) that we've been doing R&D. The M6 Automatic Chain Tensioner take the slack out if the chain and keeps the proper tension on it at all times. Unlike the stock tensioner that has been a ridged mount up until 2006, and the new "self adjusting" tensioner that rachets itself too tight often causing excessive chain stretch, added stress, and bearing/shaft damage; our tensioner is able to move when needed. The chain glides on the "shoe" which rides on springs. Have a look at our site for your specific year and model, you'll also see a video that will show what's happening inside your primary. Thanks, and we hope this will Shed some light in your issue. Contact us with questions, we're here to help.

Thanks  ;D
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 01:56:41 AM »

What weight oil on the redline?

"HEAVY"
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.