Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Clunking Gears  (Read 11779 times)

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Clunking Gears
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 07:05:17 AM »

Well Aussie, you've probably got a few K's up now, so how's it going?

As said above, it will take a few K's to run everything in and wear a few of the high spots off.

After all of that, (mine took about 2000 K's before I was happy enough to start changing things) and things start to move freely and the nois department settles down, you can start thinking a little more seriously about lubricants.

For what it's worth, I'm of the opinion that engine oil was made for engines, and gear oil was made for gearboxes, hence, I'm fine with a 20 W 50 synthetic in the donk.
The primary also has special needs with that old tractor chain method of transferring drive, and the clutch plates all in there together.
The compensator and chain need all the protection they can get, so a top end synthetic heavy weight is good, just so long as the friction modifiers are of the type that screw clutch friction plates.

I agree on the your thoughts, and with engine oil SE20W50 Syn in the tranny as standard it sounded very tiny, like a tuning fork when the gears meshed in without engine running, now all is good with proper gear oil with gears sliding in with a nice click and not a clunk. However when cold there is a slight clunk but with a slight twist of the throttle when cold gears mesh in nicely.
SESG gear changes is nice and smooth with Spectro. Been running it my Fatboy for a couple of years and the results are superb, smooth gear changes and no irritating clunk.
Formulated to significantly reduce gear noise and provide easier, smoother shifting, SAE 75w140 formulation eases shifting even when cold. A.P.I. GL-5 rated.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:21:57 AM by Aussie »

ozrider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 08:45:18 AM »

Sounds like ya having a win there Aussie, good to hear.

How ya gettin on with the primary / clutch dis-engaged rattle ?

Win Lotto, Go back to Sturgis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Never go home!

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »

How ya gettin on with the primary / clutch dis-engaged rattle ?
Neutral rattle, its not as bad with Spectro, however the rattle is due to tolerancing within the gear drive dogs, what I understand is some have more rattle than others due to upper and lower tolerances to allow for heat expantion.
Maybe someone can chime in with a more detail explanation.

I can live with it knowing its normal!

On the other hand my fatboy has got a very slight rattle in neutral but not very noticable unless you are listening for it.

How does you rattle sound, is is very noticable?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.