Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch Chatter  (Read 3022 times)

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Candy Cobalt/Twilight BLUE RG
Clutch Chatter
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »

Is it normal to have chatter coming from the clutch on these bikes with a hydraulic clutch?  I noticed today, for the first time, that mine is making a bit of a rattle when idling in neutral, but when I pull in the clutch it stops.  I spoke with my service guy and he said that once I do the first service and get some good fluid in there (he recommends amsoil severe gear) it should resolve the issue.  So as many would do I decided to poll the audience to see what the general consensus is?  If his advise is wrong please tell me what you'd recommend for use in the trans.  Thanks in advance.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

Re: Clutch Chatter
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »

2012 Street Glide with the same noise. There are some post on here about it. My service guy says the same thing. He will be using red line shock proof when it gets the 1,000 mile service. If you find the cure, please let us know!! I can tell you that I don't like it!
RETIRED! :fireman:

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »

I'll be changing the fluids tonight or tomorrow with hopes of it fixing the issue.  Looking in the owners manual it stated clutch chatter is a result or worn broken or bent clutch discs which I can't see as being the problem.

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »

Which local dealer do you deal with?

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »

I buy from Hometown Harley in Winterville. The distance is worth the price difference! Bought two CVO's there. No one around here can touch them.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »

My 2012 SESG did the same thing, until the first fluid change.  Used Redline shock proof in the transmission, and no more rattle in neutral.

However, there were more metal filings on the transmission magnetic plug than the crank case and primary.  Need to keep an eye on that.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »

My 2012 SESG did the same thing, until the first fluid change.  Used Redline shock proof in the transmission, and no more rattle in neutral.

However, there were more metal filings on the transmission magnetic plug than the crank case and primary.  Need to keep an eye on that.
My road king had the 5th gear whine until I put the red line in. It took a while. but it did work on that bike.

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »

Well I did the 1k service today a few miles early and other than not having a filter wrench for the stock filter it went smooth as can be.  Put Amsoil 20/50 in for engine/primary and 75w90 severe gear in the trans.  I didn't get a ride in tonight, but I did let it run for about 20 minutes to get up to temp and it seems that 90% the rattles are now gone.  I still have a slight tick, but I think it's coming from the exhaust (catalytic converter ???) which will get eliminated/upgraded next weekend.

Had I known how easy the maintenance was to perform on these bikes I would have never have bought a pre-paid maintenance contract with my last bike.  A couple things I noticed though was the transmission dipstick is really hard to read when there is clean oil in there.  I did the 28oz as directed, and I guess I can only hope that is sufficient.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.