Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXDFSE Fuel Tank  (Read 2798 times)

Jui

FXDFSE Fuel Tank
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »

I am not sure if the FXDFSE and FXDF have the same fuel tank mounted.
I wonder why the FXDFSE fuel tank spec reads 5.0 gal volume in the owners manual, while the FXDF fuel tank spec says 5.1 gal.
I also checked the drawing in the FXDFSE Service Manual Supplement and to me it looks as if on the FXDFSE there might be another fuel tank used than on the FXDF.
Can anyone confirm this and tell me which fuel tank can be used with the original FXDFSE tank console because I want to have a second fuel tank airbrushed. Currently I have an original 2009 FXDF fuel tank in spare, but I do not know if this one really fits with the FXDFSE

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Jui

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
Re: FXDFSE Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:40:23 AM »

I can only speculate but I would expect them to be the same.  You should check with your local dealer just to be sure but I would be very surprised if Harley made a special tank just for the FXDF-SE.  I put a custom paint set from Harley on my 2009 and everything lined up perfectly, dash and everything.  The paint set was listed for all FXDF's.  You can check out the finished product on my FXDF-SE transformation post.  Good luck.

Jui

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 02:24:51 AM »

I am just confused that there are different capacities mentioned in the manuals for FXDFSE and FXDF (5.0 gal vs. 5.1 gal).
However, I found a thread where it says that FXDC and FXDF have the same fuel tank, although for FXDC the datasheet also says 5.0 gal (like in FXDFSE manual) vs. 5.1 gal for the FXDF.

I just thought that an identical tank has identical capacity or could it be that it just differs because the tanks are mounted in slightly different angles on different models? FXDFSE differs a bit from FXDF as the front is 1" lower compared to standard Fat Bob.
Maybe this causes the fuel tank to lose a bit capacity?

Jui

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:21:09 AM »

I am just confused that there are different capacity mentioned n the manual 5.0 gal vs. 5.1 gal.
however, I found a thread where it says that FXDC and FXDF have the same fule tank although for FXDC the datasheet also says 5.0 gal vs. 5.1 gal on the  FXDF.
Just thought same tank - same volume or could it be that it just differs because the tanks are mounted in slightly different angles on different models? FXDFSE differs a bit from FXDF as the fron is 1" lower compared to standard Fat Bob.
Maybe this causes the fuel tank to lose a bit capacity?

Jui

Most likely it's just a typo.  I've found many similar "errors" in recent years in the various spec sheets Harley publishes on the web site, for instance.  It tends to fit in with their lack of attention to detail on a lot of other things.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.