Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tracking Devices  (Read 1874 times)

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Tracking Devices
« on: August 08, 2006, 10:06:01 PM »

I am looking at having either a LowJack or Phantom tracker installed on my bike. I was wondering if anybody out there has any experience with either of these two systems, & what peoples thoughts are on the subject of tracking devices in general. After having my last bike stolen a couple of months ago :'(, I've become pretty paranoid now and would like to have some kind or recovery device installed. Any and all thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

CVOHarley Member #2390

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Tracking Devices
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 10:48:52 PM »

Hi GasRat,
You may want to consider another tracking system too, Bike Sentry at http://bikesentry.com/home.htm

This system and some of the others are like Onstar that GM offers where you install it and pay a monthly fee to stay connected and can track anytime. The car alarm company Viper has a great GPS type locator system that will page your cellphone and your home computer if the alarm is triggered. With the ViperGPS you can track anytime on your home computer and deactivate the vehicle so it can't be driven.You also get speeding reports so you will get notices if your teenager speeds in your car. Only thing is I don't know if the ViperGPS system can be installed on a bike?
The problem with LOJACK is that it is not used Nationally and if you travel it may not work. It has to be used in areas where the police have tracking cars and those police cars need to be manned with trained operators.
Any device can be defeated by a professional that desperately wants your bike but the idea should be to make it as difficult and as noisy as possible for him to get it so maybe he moves on to another bike.You need to also make it less atractive by considering a plain cover or maybe even a misleading one like a Honda cover if you can't store it inside somewhere.
Of course a tracking system is after the fact but try to get one that notifies you or the tracking company directly when the bike is taken.If possible look for one that can be installed in an unusual spot and has a battery backup in case the thief disconnects the bike battery.

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:07:07 PM »

Thats where the Phantom looks strong. It is like Onstar, where it is constantly monitored. If your bike is moved or even taken off the kick stand & you did not dissarm it they will call your cell to see if it was you. It also has some type of "crash protection" were if you are moving and come to an abrupt stop and don't  move again they will call your cell, if no answer they will dispatch police & ambulance. And they say it is active in all 50 states. It is a true gps tracking system. Its just quite a bit more than LowJack, by about double + about $13.00 a month service fee.
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

CVOHarley Member #2390

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 12:38:16 AM »

Thats where the Phantom looks strong. It is like Onstar, where it is constantly monitored. If your bike is moved or even taken off the kick stand & you did not dissarm it they will call your cell to see if it was you. It also has some type of "crash protection" were if you are moving and come to an abrupt stop and don't
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 08:25:34 AM »

to the best of my knowledge it looks like the 07 comes with the smart siren, not smart siren II. and from what I've heard the pager for it is not nearly as good as the smart siren II.

CVOHarley Member #2390

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 12:13:05 PM »

to the best of my knowledge it looks like the 07 comes with the smart siren, not smart siren II. and from what I've heard the pager for it is not nearly as good as the smart siren II.
[highlight]Whatever you do do not get the pager system that works with the smart siren alarm[/highlight] (Harley-Davidson
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

firegabe

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 04:01:09 PM »

I have the smart siren II  it's not that bad but the battery dose not last that long. I  do not like that even with a brand new batt. it will shut off or go into stand by after a few hours.  
I still can't believe I bought it!!!!

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.