Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Isn't the Kuryakyn side mount for a license plate . . .  (Read 12153 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Isn't the Kuryakyn side mount for a license plate . . .
« on: November 26, 2012, 02:23:10 AM »

a viable option for the stock mount?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
Re: Isn't the Kuryakyn side mount for a license plate . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

hmmmm. Interesting.  Nice idea!  I didin't even know Kuryakyn sold these.  I was just looking at their part #9251, and I don't see why that would not work.  Should be easier in that you don't have to locate a wire off the main harness...it's already on the stock side plate mount....obviously.

would need to remove that chrome bracket piece between the left blinker and the strut as well...

I see no reason why this is not doable....I wonder though.  The plate is mounted to the bottom swingarm.  would it scrape before the left pedal does?  That would be a non-starter for me...

I might order this and give it a try...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:52:03 PM by Z06_Pilot »
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

rockinred

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:20:58 AM »

a viable option for the stock mount?

I have yet to see the Breakout in person.  I do know that the rear for the breakout is the same as my 09 Springer.  Those are the only two softails that had the 240 rear out of the factory.  The rocker had it, but was a different set up.  Anyhow, I think the swingarm is the same for the rocker and springer, so I am assuming Harley used that one for the breakout swingarm as well.  So go to the kuryakyn website and select the one that fits the FXSTSSE3 and rocker.  That one has the clamp that will bolt directly on the wider swingarm bracket.  I'm almost 99% sure it will fit and work.  I have it on mine and with the LED light it looks really good and I would take that over factory any day. Good luck.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »

I have yet to see the Breakout in person.  I do know that the rear for the breakout is the same as my 09 Springer.  Those are the only two softails that had the 240 rear out of the factory.  The rocker had it, but was a different set up.  Anyhow, I think the swingarm is the same for the rocker and springer, so I am assuming Harley used that one for the breakout swingarm as well.  So go to the kuryakyn website and select the one that fits the FXSTSSE3 and rocker.  That one has the clamp that will bolt directly on the wider swingarm bracket.  I'm almost 99% sure it will fit and work.  I have it on mine and with the LED light it looks really good and I would take that over factory any day. Good luck.

Hey Rokinred.

Do you have yours mounted on the lower swingarm?  does it catch the pavement before the pegs do on left turns?  that thing looks like it's awfully low on the frame..

thanks!
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

AZ_BREAKOUT

• CVO1: '13 Breakout Black
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:18:11 PM »

All I know is that we need to figure something else out on this license plate thing.  I received my plate yesterday and attached it right away.  I cannot tell you how horrible and out of place it looks on the side mount of this beauty!
On another note I've added the HD Daymaker headlamp and VH Slip ons and love it!  Safe Rides...

rockinred

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »

I have it mounted on the lower swingarm and ride lowered at times.  It does not even come close to scraping and I am assuming that if you leaned hard enough to touch that on ground you would spill the bike way before.  It is very nice and you won't regret it.  I do have the vertical mounted version.  I looked on bike and the horizontal one would not scrape either.  I would venture to say it is almost impossible.  No need to worry about that one. 

Good luck. Post some pics up. :) 

Here is how this looks on the vertical one.  They do have the horizontal version and it lays very similar just sticks out a bit further. 

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:58:32 PM »

thanks rockinred,

I am ordering this tomorrow.

Love that SE also!!

Fisherman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout Hard Candy Gold
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 02:27:42 AM »

thanks rockinred,

I am ordering this tomorrow.

Love that SE also!!
                    Cheers you guys ,we are  taking  note of all this information  great stuff, and with the photos its helping with this waiting .     Oh Z06 i was glad to entertain you with my bauble tale  ;D 

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »

I used the same tag mt  on my 07 springer and mounted it where the passenger peg mounts , cut the wire out of the bracket because I did not like the idea of runing a wire up the swingarm looks great with no problem with state insp. or LEO just did one on my 02 Dyna and love it............

rockinred

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »

Can't run plates with no lights in my area.  You can't see that wire if ran properly and get full function of the LED light.  Works for me. No need for me to give anyone a reason to pull me over.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 05:17:52 AM »

[/quote]

Love your bike!
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

cbdeluxe

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »

Z06, Did you get that frame yet? was thinking about getting that as well. Looking for feedback

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »

Z06, Did you get that frame yet? was thinking about getting that as well. Looking for feedback

I did get it.  have not put it on yet.  I started to take off the left side strut to find the wiring for the plate light and relocate it, but my torx bits are not the right size, so i am going to have my dealer install in and route the electrical to the light on the new plate holder next week when I get my 1k service done.

I can say that the mounting bracket for the Rocker/'09 SE Softail does fit perfectly around the lower swingarm.  it's going to look fantastic....

G_Fend

• Full CVO Member
  • FXSBSE

• CVO1: '13 CVO Breakout (Crimson Red)
    • CVO2: '05 FXD
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »

Finally got my permanent license plate instead of the temp tag. I took off the adjustable extension of the plate holder and mounted the plate vertically. I think it looks at least a LITTLE better, close to tolerable.
2013 CVO Breakout FXSBSE
Crimson Red Sunglo
Quick Release Windshield
Engine Guard with Slipstream Highway Pegs
V&H Slash-cut Slip-ons

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »

Finally got my permanent license plate instead of the temp tag. I took off the adjustable extension of the plate holder and mounted the plate vertically. I think it looks at least a LITTLE better, close to tolerable.
It is much better that way. :2vrolijk_21: Now if only the :police: don't hassle you :nervous:... some localities/states prohibit plates being mounted sideways. :(

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.