Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: New HD (Screamin' Eagle) Primary chain tensioner  (Read 26630 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
New HD (Screamin' Eagle) Primary chain tensioner
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »

:soapbox:
The following pictures and text are straight from an experienced HD Tech in a position to know the facts...........

"This a way for HD to not admit the 2007 & up primary chain adjuster was not a good idea. for years they tell us to run the primary chain 5/8 to 7/8 cold and 3/8 to 5/8 hot then they give us a adjuster that runs the primary chain banjo string tight.  Then we see inner primary bearings wearing out sooner and comp problems from the chain being to tight. Then they come out with the Screamin' Eagle version so it will be called upgrade not a recall. Bye the way this $150.00 part makes your 2007 & up bike have the same set up as 2006 and earlier bikes."

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:38:01 PM by moscooter »

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: New HD (Screamin' Eagle) Primary chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »

except i could adjust my 01 without even taking the floor board off - let alone the whole *^&^ floor board bracket. - could adjust without even changing the oil.

baker makes a cover for big bux that has a port. i suppose i could put the case cover on my mill, make a place for a cover and a aluminum billet cover...

however i see that THIS adjuster requires getting in there under the clutch with a allen key.

ill end up making a whole home made billet deal...

*sigh*

one more project that doesnt pay.....

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »

Spring loaded, adjustable?  What's the story?
Do it now!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:00:58 PM »

Spring loaded, adjustable?  What's the story?

Manual adjustment.  The obvious problem of course is the fact that the older bikes had a nice little access cover in the primary cover you could remove to make the simple adjustment without draining the oil or removing the entire outer primary.  This one will require removing the entire outer primary, due to the fact there is no little access cover anymore.  Even if it did have the access cover, the adjustment screw wouldn't be accessible anyway.

It's not terribly surprising that Harley has come out with a part labeled Screamin' Eagle to fix their own mistake.  They did the exact same thing back when the original 2007 compensator design turned out to be a total POS.  They came out with a SE version they would sell to you, but it took them several more years before they finally started installing it in production.  Harley has always preferred to find ways to profit from their mistakes versus admit to them and take care of their customers.  Fine bunch of folks.

Btw, there are alternatives.  If you prefer an automatic adjuster Hayden and SOHB offer either a spring loaded tensioner or a hydraulic tensioner (both have been commented on many times on the site in the past).  If you prefer a manual adjustment, Baker also offers one.  It's not cheap, just like the rest of Baker's stuff, but they sell quality parts.  As we have found over several years, Harley might call something Screamin' Eagle and sell it for a jacked up price but that doesn't mean it's actually any good.  Case in point, the SE version of the compensator, which still sucks.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »

What a crock!  I have always heard that the auto adjuster made the primary too tight.  Now they have gone back to a manually adjustable one with no access to it!

Thanks for the info Jerry.
Do it now!

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »

So what their saying here is, if you want to convert your touring 110 in to a 100+hp road dragstor, this is the fine tune adjuster you need :nervous:

Buyer be ware it sounds like a load of double talk something Jason from OCC would come up with. It's a real benefit in  those aggressive racing situations,... :nixweiss:

Looks like to me it should be under the high proforments heading not the touring. Unless they praying on,...what they believe to be a lack of intelligence,...well spruce it up that racers use it, and the tourers will be lining up at the door. Just one guys thought
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:21:56 PM by longlast »

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:25:06 PM »

:cherry:

Here is the answer I went with a few yrs ago,  Give it a try.

http://www.sohotbikes.com/wedge.html

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »

Have had good results with the Hayden, recently upgraded, I think.      JoeS

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »

Looks like a reasonable solution. 
Do it now!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »

Notice how they went out of their way to describe this new SE tensioner is for "drag racing" applications? That way they can continue to use the POS ratcheting tensioner on all the bikes, and sell you the new one for a buck fifty if you don't like the stock one, with the caveat that it is for racing only, and deny your warranty if anything goes wrong in there while running it. Very sneaky...

Just install the Hayden for a buck, and forget about primary chain tension issues.

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »

Anybody actually try one of these new SE primary chain adjusters? Just had my dealership put one on and when they took it for a test ride they heard a squeak or squeal from the primary when they let off on the throttle... They put the stock one back on, and the noise disappeared! Has anyone else run into this, and is there a way to fix it? (I know Baker, Hayden, etc.)  :nixweiss:
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »

They probably forgot to adjust it  ;D  :o

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »

Anybody actually try one of these new SE primary chain adjusters? Just had my dealership put one on and when they took it for a test ride they heard a squeak or squeal from the primary when they let off on the throttle... They put the stock one back on, and the noise disappeared! Has anyone else run into this, and is there a way to fix it? (I know Baker, Hayden, etc.)  :nixweiss:

If you're a member of Harley Tech Talk forum, there's a thread where others have had similiar experience as you...

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,61030.msg652760.html#msg652760
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »

If you're a member of Harley Tech Talk forum, there's a thread where others have had similiar experience as you...

Thanks Sadunbar! Interesting thread. Sounds like either the Hayden or possibly the Baker unit might be the way to go...
S&S T124
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »

I never had a problem with the old EVO manual tensioner.  Too bad they did away with the inspection cover.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 11:52:46 PM »

i had the auto tensioner on my 04 with a Baker primary chain and their DD6..   within 2 years it ruined the chain,.,, now i am back with an old style adjustable one and been nice and quiet since.... :nixweiss:

Hilly13

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 04:28:59 AM »

Gday, I know this thread is getting on but thought I would share my experience with the SE Adjuster, I got one when they became available in Oz.
I found that it was  very noisy! I thought that I could live with it, well the love affair is over, I have tried the fixes discussed on other forums to no avail. Have put my stock one back in for now.
If you have a dedicated drag bike that is just strip ridden then it would be sweet as the racket would not be an issue, but for the road its a no go, way too loud.

Cheers

Hilly

PosseRider

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 11:34:33 AM »

:cherry:

Here is the answer I went with a few yrs ago,  Give it a try.

http://www.sohotbikes.com/wedge.html
Looks like the SE one,just doesn't say SE.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »

:confused5:

Posserider..........The SOHOT tensioner uses hydraulics via the primary oil to activate it.   The SE tensioner is manual.......you lock it down as tight or loose as you desire.  Thus,  they are not the same. :drink:

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »

I put one in my 2012 limited and it sounded so bad I never took it off the lift and put the stock tensioner back in. I have one forsale cheap if someone wants it.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 07:27:48 AM »

The 'new' SE adjuster has to be manually adjusted and seems to be a step back in time if you ask us. The Hayden automatic primary chain adjuster has been eliminating this problem for almost 25 years. The M6BT07 (for 2007 and newer bikes) will make your bike click into gear instead of clunk. Easier to find neutral. Longer chain life. Less vibration. And much less stress and wear on your bearings, seals and everything else. Take a look at the video on our website. http://haydensm6.com and remember, we"re here to help.
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

jwtjt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 03:13:53 PM »

the Haden doesn't last Ive wore out two of them the material the use suck

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »

the Haden doesn't last Ive wore out two of them the material the use suck
:-\
Hey Newbie....Many riders have used the Hayden tensioner with very good results.  In fact,  I believe some police depts. use them on their cop bikes.  I'm no paid spokeman for them,  but recognize they have been in business for many years and that wouldn't be the case if most users had the problems you seem to have experienced.

You might want to be more specific as to what year your bike is and how many miles did you get with the Hayden on it before something went wrong and what exactly did go wrong :nixweiss: The fact that you "wore out two of them" suggests something besides the (Hayden unit) as being a cause. :confused5:

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »

i have gone back to the stock auto tensioner, if you call the folks at hayden they will make it rite, the SE unit is a POS and they wont do $#!p if you want to return it,,, my 2cents 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 12:49:17 PM »

Hayden Enterprises can offer you a solution to this problem (and other issues you will have from a 'too tight' primary chain). With over 25 years behind us, we can offer you a tried and true remedy. Our M6BT07 addresses 2007 and newer bikes. The stock adjuster can only recognize a loose spot in your chain and ratchet itself tighter. Too tight of a chain will cause loud whirling, premature wear on your transmission mainshaft and cranksharf bearings and seals. Our chain tensioner floats on springs allowing the chain to move up and down as the bike requires. Your shifting will improve and drivetrain vibration will decrease. You'll even find it easier to find neutral. Your bike will click into gear instead of clunk. Please visit our web site, watch a short video and review our product.

http://haydensm6.com/m6_bt07.htm
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 21 queries.